Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to "Premium Stereo"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 has been out long enough for people to do some significant stereo upgrades to the factory "premium stereo". The factory system is ok, but I'm interested in what some of you have done to take it to the next level. Please be as specific as possible with your equipment choice, cost, and satisfaction with the upgrade.

The Model 3 has been out long enough for people to do some significant stereo upgrades to the factory "premium stereo". The factory system is ok, but I'm interested in what some of you have done to take it to the next level. Please be as specific as possible with your equipment choice, cost, and satisfaction with the upgrade.
I've been keeping a close eye on anything related to the stereo.... and we know next to nothing about how it's configured.

There are 15 speakers, and at least one amp. The subwoofer is 6", and is located in the passenger side of the trunk (along with the 1 known amp).

That's about it, for now.

I second Reus Audio. I’ve used his system in several cars. The Model 3 system is dialed in very well. If you’re in Orange County, happy to let you listen to mine at Cars and Coffee Saturday mornings at the San Clemente Outlets.

Then you've not heard a truly excellent stereo system

The Model 3 has an excellent OEM car maker stereo system, but that's not the same thing.

(same thing with folks who think their home theater in a box home stereo sounds great)

I guess that is fair. It’s pretty clear, loud, and has good bass. That’s plenty for me haha. By far the best I’ve heard in a car but I’ve only owned 4 others that were all under $35k

I guess that is fair. It’s pretty clear, loud, and has good bass. That’s plenty for me haha. By far the best I’ve heard in a car but I’ve only owned 4 others that were all under $35k
The "Premium Audio"It lacks details in the highs, the mid-range is muted. The subs sounds good for what it is, but it could be improved as well. I for one like the sound of a sealed sub woofer over a ported one, when playing a wide range of music and bass frequencies. In other words at the right frequency the sub sounds fine, but it lacks punch in other lower and higher frequencies. That said it sounds a bit better than my 2013 volt's premium sound over all although my volt had better mid-range.

It's a decent factory system and I'm not sure I will go trying to figure out how to improve it. But if someone posted a step by step of how to remove the door panels and access the speakers without breaking anything I might be tempted. But then we will also need to know how to install another amp and tap into the existing one to get the signals. And finally we need a clean way to install a larger sub without taking up too much cargo space.

Is the factory wiring large enough to handle more power from a better amp? By guess is no.

Reactions: ironwaffle
@kaos, can you tell us what work you had done and what it cost? Maybe a photo if there's anything visible? I'm in OC.
Reus has different systems or levels but they generally add a subwoofer and amp and their engineered tweeters in various places and crossover or tune the system. There is nothing really to take a picture of because it’s essentially stealth. The sub is neatly incorporated into the storage area under the trunk floor. Reus warranties the system for life.

I am in Los Angeles, and just had the Reus system installed. It is a great upgrade to the very good stock system. The Tesla’s are challenging to upgrade due to how they were design and what the Tesla software is expecting from speakers. What is added at this time is replacement of the two front mid-ranges on the pillar by the door (not the top surrounds), a high fidelity tweeter on the rear view mirror, and an additional amp to power 1 or 2 subwoofers in an enclosure., that sits in the trunk floor space. Nobody would know anything changed in your Tesla which is great.

In terms of the bass, it is very tight, smooth, and spot on, one of the best I have heard across the entire range. The 2 midrange they replace up front is exceptional and adds clarity, it is where you hear a majority of the sound stage. Finally the tweeter added to the rear view mirror and the precision and presence it adds that I feel ties the whole system together, it’s an exceptional upgrade for those looking to take their system to the next level.

With that said, I think even more can be done to enhance and improve the Reus system, and I have been giving this feedback, all of which I am sure will be addressed with higher system options, I am talking audiophile level improvements most won’t care about or notice.

Before buying or going with other upgrade options, I highly recommend listening to Reus system in the Tesla. If you are in the LA area, hit me up.