Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Upgrade your Model S/X at 057 Tech - More range, more power!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upgrades.jpg

Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology

I try not to do many "Vendor" posts, but I don't know if I even ever did one for this service we've had for a while. Pretty sure I've just mentioned it a few other places.

Battery upgrades, motor upgrades, charger upgrades, AP1 retrofits, etc.

Posting now as we recently added official support for RWD 100 kWh upgrades to our lineup. 100 kWh packs are pretty much the only ones that haven't had supercharging speeds nerfed in older cars. As a bonus, upgrades don't affect free lifetime supercharging status! ;)

Check out the link above, punch in the last 6 of your VIN. Get pricing right there, pay for and schedule the upgrade (on or after the estimated date shown for the chosen options), and we'll help arrange transport for your car and make it happen!

Automated system only supports VINs up to 2018-ish, so if yours is newer just contact us (link at top of 057tech pages) with your VIN and trim (P85, 70, P90D, etc) and we'll add it to our system so you can get pricing and such. That said, this is currently mostly beneficial to the older S/X vehicles anyway.

Thanks!

thanx..so we would drive to you for the swap and you keep the old pack? Does it take a few days or?
057's retention of the fully functional core pack (original to the vehicle or equivalent Tesla-installed replacement) once service is complete, is priced into the upgrade quote on the upgrades page. If it's not the original pack, or has issues, we have to quote any difference in cost once it's here and we examine the condition of the core battery pack.

The upgrade service time should also be quoted on the site, which is usually about 3-5 business days in-service for most upgrades. The system should also be aware of additional work needed to complete the upgrade on a per-VIN basis and should factor that in as well, if any. We do full system tests on the vehicle before and after, including full tests of the thermal systems, along with whatever vehicle side modifications are needed to support the install of the larger pack (varies from vehicle to vehicle). Overall, it's not a drive in and drive out same day or overnight thing.

We usually don't suggest folks further than a couple hours away drive here for upgrades. We don't really have anywhere for customers hang out at the shop, so you'd be stuck at a hotel or something for a while or renting a car to get around to see the sights. Then, if we happen to hit any snags (which isn't often, but does happen from time to time) you're stuck waiting around longer, which clearly isn't ideal.

While you're welcome to do whatever you like as far as getting the vehicle here and back once you're scheduled, we usually suggest that you let us help arrange vehicle transport from you to us and back. A lot of the times we can include the cost of at least one of the hauling trips with the upgrade cost, but not always. It's not terribly expensive regardless, and usually saves a lot of the hassle of dealing with what to do after dropping the car off, hotels, etc. Many times customers will have us send a hauler for pickup, and then fly out to drive the upgraded car back home once confirmed completed. There's a shuttle that's pretty inexpensive that runs from KCLT airport to/from the KHKY airport only 1 mile from our shop.

Anyway, first step is to get the upgrade order in the online system, which will quote an estimated service date as well as take payment and such. We can then work around your schedule to nail down a date anytime on or after that estimated date provided to get the vehicle here for the service. After that, it'll be here a minimum of 3 days (takes time to cycle both the core and replacement packs for testing, for one, even on the most straightforward upgrades), but sometimes more depending on what else we have on the schedule. I like to quote 5 full business days in-service for most upgrades to give some breathing room. To be fair, we have occasionally run into situations where upgrades take longer due to unexpected issues. It's usually unexpected (or undisclosed) issues with other components on the vehicle that cause this kind of delay while we sort out with the customer the best course of action for them. But that's not the norm.

Hope this helps.

It’s just fabulous that you’re offering this service and that you’re nearby. My 2015 MS 70D has lost range from 240 to ~220 over these 7.5 years, and has the slowed charging times such that my fairly frequent 6-8 hour drives require about 3 hours of charging time. I still have MCU1 which your pricing app seems to realize; might your upgrade to 100 price be less if I first get the MCU2 upgrade from Tesla? Can you please quantify (roughly or accurately) the range and charging speed improvement I could expect post-upgrade to a 100 battery? Many thanks.

Feel free to DM me if you prefer.

It’s just fabulous that you’re offering this service and that you’re nearby. My 2015 MS 70D has lost range from 240 to ~220 over these 7.5 years, and has the slowed charging times such that my fairly frequent 6-8 hour drives require about 3 hours of charging time. I still have MCU1 which your pricing app seems to realize; might your upgrade to 100 price be less if I first get the MCU2 upgrade from Tesla? Can you please quantify (roughly or accurately) the range and charging speed improvement I could expect post-upgrade to a 100 battery? Many thanks.

Feel free to DM me if you prefer.
Just to comment on your slow charging, I may not have hit MCU1 cars yet, but both my MCU2 cars got more recent firmware upgrades, that actually increased charging rates quite a bit.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Is that confirmed? All I've seen are individual cases of "maybe's". What was the rate increase?
At this time, I can confirm on BOTH my Model S & Model X. My Model S was delivered with a max charge rate of around 115-118ish, hard to remember exactly. 2nd month of ownership (both the above are 2016's) Tesla capped charge rate at 94 kW and when questioned, they said I supercharged too much. At 94kW it was up until the December 26th, 2020 firmware update. That bumped my rates up to 114/115. Not much, but overall, a breath of fresh air. That has held now until recent updates as discussed in my other message a couple months ago. That firmware instantly increased my Supercharging rate up to a peak of about 126kW. Thats the fastest it's ever charged since new. It's been hitting that rate or 120+ no problems since.

As for my MX, Purchased used, it was also capped at the 94kW since before I got it (61k ish miles when I bought it, also 2016). The firmware update in 2019 that neutered the 85 packs, boosted my charge rates to that new 144kW, even if it was only for a few seconds. Then, the same firmware update that increased my Model S's max rate to 114/115kW (Dec 26th, 2020 update) neutered my MX down to 105kW. That was the max. As my MX has FSD Beta, and on a slightly different firmware schedule than my MS which does not have FSD and gets just the general updates, shortly after my MS getting updated and the new ~126kW rates, my MX got the last FSD Beta update they pushed out to the masses. After that update, my MX could hit about 125kW. Though above 50% is dang slow yet. It peaks very quickly on my MX. The MS holds above 90kW once again beyond 50%, which I hadn't seen for quite some time.

I supercharge, A LOT, as well as do a benchmark and record all battery data on my Model S every 1000 miles since new.

@islandbayy three questions for you w.r.t. your '16 S:

1. What size battery pack do you have (70D? 90D? etc)?
2. What firmware version are you on?
3. Confirming that your S is an MCU2 - correct?
1: MS90D & MX75D
2: MW= FM 2023.12.5 Currently, MX=FW 2022.45.15 w/FSD Beta, the general firmware is rather behind, but the FSD is latest mass release.
3: Both Vehicles MCU2. My MCU1 P85 is still on Firmware 2022.8.10.12

Reactions: RockinWithKids
I'm on 2020.12.11.5 because there's nothing in the newer updates that looks enticing and I'm happy enough with it. I'd love to hear more reports on 2023.X helping with charging speed. That would induce me to update.
There's a guy in our local FB group with a late '17 MS100D with MCU2 and is on 2022.45.15. Photo he posted shows power of 181kW after having already added 13 miles of range. YMMV.

I'd like to report back again. Yesterday, on the Wisconsin Dells, WI Supercharger, V3, I was able to hit 140kW on my Model X, only for a few seconds. It stayed above 130kW for about 1 minute, and in the 120's for about 5 minutes, above 110 for about 5 minutes, and above 100kW for about 5 minutes before leveling off as it approached 50%. Above 50%, dropped to the 50's through about 75%, then tapered very significantly.
I believe the taper from 140kW down was due to temps, the taper started as soon as the pack hit 132*F. Note, there are no issues with the cars cooling. The HIGH charging temps are now common on the 75's, 90's and 100's. I believe the original 60's, 70's and 85's using the original style cells, still max out at 113*F before the cars start a major taper and run the thermal management at full blast to cool the pack. Though, may change with newer firmware. If someone with MCU2 & 85kW pack would like to comment on battery temps while supercharging, as with MCU2, will have the more recent firmware.

The above 50% SOC rates are still terrible on my MX, but the sub-50% high rates are back. My 90D MS still maintains significant speed now through 80% and seems overall faster than when brand new.

Reactions: Russell
I'd like to report back again. Yesterday, on the Wisconsin Dells, WI Supercharger, V3, I was able to hit 140kW on my Model X, only for a few seconds. It stayed above 130kW for about 1 minute, and in the 120's for about 5 minutes, above 110 for about 5 minutes, and above 100kW for about 5 minutes before leveling off as it approached 50%. Above 50%, dropped to the 50's through about 75%, then tapered very significantly.
I believe the taper from 140kW down was due to temps, the taper started as soon as the pack hit 132*F. Note, there are no issues with the cars cooling. The HIGH charging temps are now common on the 75's, 90's and 100's. I believe the original 60's, 70's and 85's using the original style cells, still max out at 113*F before the cars start a major taper and run the thermal management at full blast to cool the pack. Though, may change with newer firmware. If someone with MCU2 & 85kW pack would like to comment on battery temps while supercharging, as with MCU2, will have the more recent firmware.

The above 50% SOC rates are still terrible on my MX, but the sub-50% high rates are back. My 90D MS still maintains significant speed now through 80% and seems overall faster than when brand new.
I'm not sure how much that relates to me, personally, in my 2015 S70, but I appreciate it very much. However, it does tell me that Tesla is trying to restore speeds even now, and not just nerfing us to limit warranty claims. (That seemed like a conspiracy theory even to me, and I'm pretty darned cynical.) This supports wk057's statements that the limitations were done mostly for good reasons.
So cheers! on the higher rates, and here's hoping I'll see 35kW again in the future!

Reactions: islandbayy

We have a 2014 S85. Got the MCU2 upgrade last summer. It had zero effect on the truncated Supercharging speeds. We are in the interior valley of California. During what we call winter (not what you Wisconsinites call winter) preconditioning the battery will allow about 100kW if the battery is around 15% or less. But it quickly plummets to around 80kW at 20%. Without preconditioning, speeds at 15% were around 45kW, and they stayed there until the battery started to warm up from charging.

During what we call summer (not like summer in Wisconsin) when temps exceed 100 degrees, the charging rate is about 10kW more, and stays higher until around 55-60% when the taper curves are virtually indistinguishable.

In the good old days, when it was blistering hot, I could see 115-118kW for a few seconds. Then it would decline slowly to receive 100kW at 25% before settling into the steady decline. Fifty percent still was drawing 70ish kW.

I don't have a method of determining battery temperatures, just empirical data. While I continue to hope that Tesla will move the needle with regards to Supercharging speeds through an update, I am not holding my breath.

Reactions: tesluv108
I'll be taking a 900 mile road trip in my legacy S the first week of June. I'll start a thread on my charging speeds and/or add to the current one that I started.

@wk057 - I have a general question - my 2016 75D is coming out of warranty at the end of June 2023 (Tesla Canada was giving out a full 4 year/80 k km warranty back in 2019 ).

What should I be getting looked at for an "End of Warranty Inspection" in your opinion? What are the common issues with this specific model?

My build date is June 2016. Refreshed bumper, AP1 and I upgraded to MCU2 last year.

Just to add to the above as I cannot edit my post.

l have had 4 door handles already either replaced (2 of them) or repaired/serviced.

I've also had the battery coolant valves replaced (slight leak).

Other than the above two issues, the car has been very reliable and I'd like to keep it for a couple more years.

@wk057 , no more 90kWh battery option from 85?
And am I better to call you guys directly? On the website I only see the 100kWh option from 85kWh and it's the same price as from an 75kWh.
I am interested to upgrade if you gonna get this one: 2013 Model S 90 W/SC01 Free Supercharging & Cellular Forever Damaged Roof

If we ended up with that particular vehicle, and the pack was functional etc etc, we'd likely just use it as a replacement for a customer with an 85 or 90. We wouldn't consider it an upgrade in that sense.

We stopped offering the 90 since, as predicted years ago, all of the packs in the wild have all effectively degraded to at or below their 85 counterparts of equivalent usage, so it makes little sense to offer it outside of a few niche scenarios. (The 90 does output about 8% more peak power than an 85 of equivalent capacity, so maybe someone would want that...) For our purposes, 85s and 90s are the same at this point.

There is also no such thing as "the same price" when comparing different vehicles on our upgrades page, as it takes into account everything known about the specific vehicle. This will vary.

@wk057 - I have a general question - my 2016 75D is coming out of warranty at the end of June 2023 (Tesla Canada was giving out a full 4 year/80 k km warranty back in 2019 ).

What should I be getting looked at for an "End of Warranty Inspection" in your opinion? What are the common issues with this specific model?

My build date is June 2016. Refreshed bumper, AP1 and I upgraded to MCU2 last year.

Not really much to be done. We can pull logs and look at pack health at our shop to see if there's anything obvious going on, but not much else to be done.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS