Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Upgrade your Model S/X at 057 Tech - More range, more power!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upgrades.jpg

Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology

I try not to do many "Vendor" posts, but I don't know if I even ever did one for this service we've had for a while. Pretty sure I've just mentioned it a few other places.

Battery upgrades, motor upgrades, charger upgrades, AP1 retrofits, etc.

Posting now as we recently added official support for RWD 100 kWh upgrades to our lineup. 100 kWh packs are pretty much the only ones that haven't had supercharging speeds nerfed in older cars. As a bonus, upgrades don't affect free lifetime supercharging status! ;)

Check out the link above, punch in the last 6 of your VIN. Get pricing right there, pay for and schedule the upgrade (on or after the estimated date shown for the chosen options), and we'll help arrange transport for your car and make it happen!

Automated system only supports VINs up to 2018-ish, so if yours is newer just contact us (link at top of 057tech pages) with your VIN and trim (P85, 70, P90D, etc) and we'll add it to our system so you can get pricing and such. That said, this is currently mostly beneficial to the older S/X vehicles anyway.

Thanks!

Seem to be getting a lot of the same questions, so, will bullet point some things:

• Packs are refurbished. We have no ability to purchase new packs from Tesla just like everyone else, unfortunately. We refurbish tons of these packs nowadays, though! These are 100% OEM packs.
  • We offer our battery pack extended service plan at a 25% discount on any upgraded vehicle if purchased after completion of service prior to picking up the vehicle. This is also the only current way to get our service plan for a 100 kWh pack.
  • Supercharging cost is unchanged by us. We don't change anything related to supercharging terms. So if your car had free unlimited supercharging before the upgrade, it'll have it after the upgrade, for example. If it has paid supercharging now, it'll continue to have paid supercharging.
  • 100 packs have the best supercharging speeds of all of the models possible to put into a pre-plaid S. While we don't guarantee any particular speeds, and speeds can be limited by other hardware, you would pretty much universally get faster overall supercharging with a 100 pack vs any other pack.
  • If the vehicle requires any suspension upgrades, that's automatically factored into the pricing on the website.
Hope this helps.

I have a 2015 P85D that has been upgraded to ludicrous and just had the rear drive unit replaced for the first time due to a noisy bearing. Its battery is still going strong but the warranty ends in a few days. Its Vin ends in P76857. It was built in March 2015. I hope to drive it for another 8 years. It seems likely I will have to replace the battery sometime during that period.

Here are the possibilities I have considered. I would appreciate your comments and answers to the questions I pose.

1. Schedule in the near future for you to upgrade my battery to 100 kWh. I like the idea of the faster supercharging speeds and to a lesser extent, the extra range. Your website says that will cost me a bit under $22k.
A. Do I understand correctly that includes no warranty, but I can add on the 2 year warranty for $1500 (25% off the $2k list price)?

2. I can get your warranty now for $2k and renew it at some unknown price every 2 years. When it dies I can then either get a free (except for transportation costs) 85 kWh replacement or I could have you upgrade it at that time to 100 kWh.
A. How much would that upgrade cost.

3. I can get no warranty and when/if it dies:
A. Go to Tesla and get it replaced with an 85 or 90 kWh battery with a 4 year warranty for about $17k. They won’t upgrade to 100.
B. Go to you for a 100 kWh replacement which will presumably cost more than $22k since my battery is, by definition, bad.

Any idea how much that last option would cost?

Any idea of the likelihood my present battery will simply keep working for another 8 years? (In case it matters, it failed a few years into my ownership and was remanufactured by Tesla.)

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

1. Schedule in the near future for you to upgrade my battery to 100 kWh. I like the idea of the faster supercharging speeds and to a lesser extent, the extra range. Your website says that will cost me a bit under $22k.
A. Do I understand correctly that includes no warranty, but I can add on the 2 year warranty for $1500 (25% off the $2k list price)?
Correct.

For others, keep in mind that pricing is dependent on the actual VIN and vehicle config and the notes above may or may not be the pricing for other vehicles.

2. I can get your warranty now for $2k and renew it at some unknown price every 2 years. When it dies I can then either get a free (except for transportation costs) 85 kWh replacement or I could have you upgrade it at that time to 100 kWh.
A. How much would that upgrade cost.
Hard to say exactly, because it would be dependent on the failure mode of the 85 pack. It would generally be slightly less than the normal upgrade price, but not significantly. We'd basically be covering the failed core at that point for the most part.

3. I can get no warranty and when/if it dies:
A. Go to Tesla and get it replaced with an 85 or 90 kWh battery with a 4 year warranty for about $17k. They won’t upgrade to 100.
B. Go to you for a 100 kWh replacement which will presumably cost more than $22k since my battery is, by definition, bad.

Any idea how much that last option would cost?
If your 85 dies, and no extended service plan from us, the upgrade price would go up by whatever the value loss on the core pack is, which would be based on what actually caused the failure. The upgrade pricing on our upgrades page does not apply if your existing pack isn't fully functional.

Any idea of the likelihood my present battery will simply keep working for another 8 years? (In case it matters, it failed a few years into my ownership and was remanufactured by Tesla.)
Based on the data we have available, your VIN would have the last of the "v1.5" battery pack type. So, it missed the cutoff for the big revision that solves many of the issues we see with them (and would still be this revision even if remanufactured). So guessing longevity, it's a hard problem. Could it last another 8 years? Sure. Does it have as good of a chance at lasting another 8 years as a 2.0-type pack like a 100? No.

Any other ideas/suggestions?
I tell everyone the same thing. If you're thinking about upgrading, then you should probably go with an upgrade if it makes sense for you sooner rather than later. If you wait until you have problems, you're going to be looking at higher costs all around.

That said, upgrades definitely aren't for everyone. I usually suggest them mostly to people who truly plan on keeping and using the car until the wheels fall off, since it's a great way to give the cars a bit of a renewal on life.

Np!

100 packs have the best supercharging speeds of all of the models possible to put into a pre-plaid S. While we don't guarantee any particular speeds, and speeds can be limited by other hardware, you would pretty much universally get faster overall supercharging with a 100 pack vs any other pack.
Maybe you can clarify a point on this. If Supercharging speed is battery-limited, yes, this would address it. But I remember that early cars had a difference of thinner high voltage cabling that wouldn't handle higher Supercharger speeds. What is the approximate date switchover where cars could support the faster speeds if they got a battery replacement from an 85/90 to a newer 100 pack?

Maybe you can clarify a point on this. If Supercharging speed is battery-limited, yes, this would address it. But I remember that early cars had a difference of thinner high voltage cabling that wouldn't handle higher Supercharger speeds. What is the approximate date switchover where cars could support the faster speeds if they got a battery replacement from an 85/90 to a newer 100 pack?

The cabling never actually changed, actually (not until very recently that is). There were some other items that did, though. But for the most part, it's the battery that's limiting the overall area under the curve on supercharging in pretty much every case nowadays with older cars.

Even on a 2012 Signature Model S, with a 100 kWh pack you'd still be getting charge times back to reasonable values (closer to the 30-40 minutes to 80% type sessions than possible these days with any 60/85).

One limiting factor for older cars was that the non-self-closing charge ports did not have the thermal sensing capabilities of the newer self-closing and beyond units. So for safety purposes, Tesla has to be conservative with how long it will sustain very high currents on these ports. That would have been updated around Q1'15.

Also, the gen1 rear HV junction box had fast charge hardware that can't sustain high currents as long, as well as lacking thermal monitoring. So, for the same reasons as above, it would have to be limited somewhat to the known specs and thermal rise estimates of that hardware. This would be roughly a Q1'14 change.

All of that said, even the oldest setup can do about 225A continuous without issues. That's 90kW, and for a 100 pack, 90 kW is basically a normal charge rate... not even "fast" charging, so it can sustain that for a long time. Generally, the oldest cars will peak to 120-130kW, taper down towards 90 kW, and hold around there until the battery actually needs to taper down.

On Q1'14+ cars, it'd be a bit improved, and on Q1'15+ cars it'd be greatly improved and able to hold 150kW peaks for a while.

The 250kW rates are out of reach of any pre-refresh car, and many early refresh cars too even with the right pack, since a lot of other safety monitoring was added to the hardware on cars that support these rates.

upgrades.jpg

Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology

I try not to do many "Vendor" posts, but I don't know if I even ever did one for this service we've had for a while. Pretty sure I've just mentioned it a few other places.

Battery upgrades, motor upgrades, charger upgrades, AP1 retrofits, etc.

Posting now as we recently added official support for RWD 100 kWh upgrades to our lineup. 100 kWh packs are pretty much the only ones that haven't had supercharging speeds nerfed in older cars. As a bonus, upgrades don't affect free lifetime supercharging status! ;)

Check out the link above, punch in the last 6 of your VIN. Get pricing right there, pay for and schedule the upgrade (on or after the estimated date shown for the chosen options), and we'll help arrange transport for your car and make it happen!

Automated system only supports VINs up to 2018-ish, so if yours is newer just contact us (link at top of 057tech pages) with your VIN and trim (P85, 70, P90D, etc) and we'll add it to our system so you can get pricing and such. That said, this is currently mostly beneficial to the older S/X vehicles anyway.

Thanks!

Hi @wk057 - Is there a way for getting a quote including the shipping cost especially from Australia?

so i have a P85D and i wanna get the P100D how much weight would be added? I tow and my tongue weight is usually around 300 pounds so that cuts into the 850lbs max the car is allowed to carry as cargo.
Has anyone ever tested the validity of the 850lb cargo claim? like the car is made to hold 5 passengers and that is only 170lbs for each person.

so i have a P85D and i wanna get the P100D how much weight would be added? I tow and my tongue weight is usually around 300 pounds so that cuts into the 850lbs max the car is allowed to carry as cargo.
Has anyone ever tested the validity of the 850lb cargo claim? like the car is made to hold 5 passengers and that is only 170lbs for each person.

Depends on the exact revision of P85D, but roughly 100 lbs more.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. The P100D uses the same suspension components and all, and ends up with the same cargo weight.

I've personally loaded 1600 lbs worth of batteries packed into the rear of an S, plus myself, plus another passenger, and then drove 800 miles with them... so... yeah, I'm going to just say those sticker numbers are a suggestion. lol

Based on the data we have available, your VIN would have the last of the "v1.5" battery pack type. So, it missed the cutoff for the big revision that solves many of the issues we see with them (and would still be this revision even if remanufactured). So guessing longevity, it's a hard problem. Could it last another 8 years? Sure. Does it have as good of a chance at lasting another 8 years as a 2.0-type pack like a 100? No.
Hi, thanks for all those details as Tesla keeps us in the dark on most everything. Our pack was changed once under warranty about 4 years ago (2013 S85). When you mention "missed the cutoff for the big revision that solves many of the issues we see with them" what are those issues ? I'm asking as our battery is running strong at close to 300,000 km (185,000 miles) for the past 150,000 km (lost about 2 kWh since replaced) ? I think it helps that we charge at home most of the time @20 amps and keep it at 60% and charge right before departure. Cheers

Depends on the exact revision of P85D, but roughly 100 lbs more.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. The P100D uses the same suspension components and all, and ends up with the same cargo weight.

I've personally loaded 1600 lbs worth of batteries packed into the rear of an S, plus myself, plus another passenger, and then drove 800 miles with them... so... yeah, I'm going to just say those sticker numbers are a suggestion. lol
I'm with you on weight. Had 2,000 Lbs of motorcycle parts in my 2013 MS (When you need to move something, you need to move something, and Torklift didnt have the hitch released yet). Surprisingly only saw a 3% range hit... Drove carefully though.

Reactions: SO16 and wk057