Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Upgrade your Model S/X at 057 Tech - More range, more power!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upgrades.jpg

Upgrade Your Tesla | 057 Technology

I try not to do many "Vendor" posts, but I don't know if I even ever did one for this service we've had for a while. Pretty sure I've just mentioned it a few other places.

Battery upgrades, motor upgrades, charger upgrades, AP1 retrofits, etc.

Posting now as we recently added official support for RWD 100 kWh upgrades to our lineup. 100 kWh packs are pretty much the only ones that haven't had supercharging speeds nerfed in older cars. As a bonus, upgrades don't affect free lifetime supercharging status! ;)

Check out the link above, punch in the last 6 of your VIN. Get pricing right there, pay for and schedule the upgrade (on or after the estimated date shown for the chosen options), and we'll help arrange transport for your car and make it happen!

Automated system only supports VINs up to 2018-ish, so if yours is newer just contact us (link at top of 057tech pages) with your VIN and trim (P85, 70, P90D, etc) and we'll add it to our system so you can get pricing and such. That said, this is currently mostly beneficial to the older S/X vehicles anyway.

Thanks!

Someone help me out on common sense...why would you buy a used battery when your pack is still working?...their website said they only accept working batteries

Something doesn't make sense!!!!!
For ex..I have a 70 ..to go to 75 it's about $8000...so why would I spend $8000 to get extra 5kw ?

Isn't the purpose of these company to replace BAD PACK...so you can drive again?...but they don't take non-working pack...JUST PLAIN NONSENSE

...because you're thinking of a worst case example that doesn't make sense.
For ex..I have a 70 ..to go to 75 it's about $8000...so why would I spend $8000 to get extra 5kw ?
Right, and Jason has already said that he wouldn't recommend anyone bother to do an example like that for only 5 kWh, because it's a terrible value to do such a small upgrade.

Isn't the purpose of these company to replace BAD PACK...so you can drive again?...but they don't take non-working pack...JUST PLAIN NONSENSE
Replacing a failed pack is a different thing. But some people have old and badly degraded 60 or 70 packs that are still functional but are cumbersome and difficult to live with because of reduced range and really slow Supercharging. If they can get an increase up to a newer 100 pack with a major increase in Supercharging speed, that can have real value and might be something worthwhile people would consider and not "PLAIN NONSENSE".

Having options is better than not having options.

Someone help me out on common sense...why would you buy a used battery when your pack is still working?...their website said they only accept working batteries

Because you are looking at the upgrade service. The upgrade service is only offered on vehicles with working packs. Many people have upgraded 85kWh packs to 100kWh packs, when their 85 was still working. They could have had significant degradation, or wanted more range and/or faster Supercharging.

They do offer repair services for people with bad packs, but that isn't something they can price automatically on the web site. They have to physically inspect the failed pack first to determine what value it has as a core, if any at all. (Or if it can be repaired easily.)

I think the question is why or when to replace/upgrade a functioning OEM pack. I am wrestling with this right now, with an 2015 85D pack that is working well and getting ~245 miles still but coming off warranty in August. While I want to keep the car for years to come and am quite interested in the wk057 and re/cell offerings, it is hard to justify spending five figures to replace/upgrade the current pack in its present condition. When would the ideal time to do so be, from a value/bang for buck perspective? Or is it pretty much a guessing game, hoping the pack won't go bad in the meantime?

Reactions: CHGolferJim
While I want to keep the car for years to come and am quite interested in the wk057 and re/cell offerings, it is hard to justify spending five figures to replace/upgrade the current pack in its present condition. When would the ideal time to do so be, from a value/bang for buck perspective? Or is it pretty much a guessing game, hoping the pack won't go bad in the meantime?
Or if you are happy with it, maybe the better option would be to buy a battery warranty from wk057. (Or X-Care who is supposed to start offering a battery warranty soon.)

Fun note:

A customer who's upgrade from 85->100 late last week drove here from southern California. Took him 6 days to get here, citing slow 85 nerfed supercharging as the main slowdown on his 2500 mile trip.

Got back with the 100 in less than 3 days. :cool:
6 days? 6 days?! A train would have been much faster 😂.

Have you considered doing package prices for ludicrous upgrades & battery warranties?

For example a customer has a p85d no ludicrous and also wants a battery warranty.

My battery warranty is up next year and I have a p90d no ludicrous. This is a package I’d really be interested in.

JUST PLAIN NONSENSE

An upgrade is an upgrade. A replacement is a replacement. These are two different things.

Folks above explained this well, thanks!

6 days? 6 days?! A train would have been much faster 😂.
I honestly don't know how they had the patience. Near 60-90 minute stops every 120-150 miles. 😐 I'd have probably died.

Have you considered doing package prices for ludicrous upgrades & battery warranties?

For example a customer has a p85d no ludicrous and also wants a battery warranty.

My battery warranty is up next year and I have a p90d no ludicrous. This is a package I’d really be interested in.
Would depend, really. Some Ludicrous upgrades require a pack replacement if the pack isn't compatible. The upgrades site should have a good guess as to which you have and can price accordingly. There's always hardware changes required for Ludicrous regardless, despite some online "wisdom" to the contrary.

We already offer discounted battery service plans with pack upgrades, so I don't see why we couldn't do the same with Ludicrous upgrades.

I'll note that Tesla has been making Ludicrous upgrades more tedious lately. Their "teleforce" bot really loves to come back in at random and disable things like that, even when the hardware has been upgraded accordingly. Kind of annoying. We have some workarounds for it that work fine for both MCU1 and MCU2, but makes the job more difficult since the modifications needed require more physical work than normally necessary.

With permission from several customers, I have quite a few cars in the fleet now responding to Tesla's bot's attempts to disable various features on their vehicles without permission with a string of middle finger emojis instead of the normal affirmative response they'd expect. It's hilarious, too, because Tesla is burning LTE bandwidth doing this in some cases by trying to disable things multiple times per second at times. My hope is that eventually some engineer will see this in their logs and be like, "wait..."

Doesn't affect pack upgrades, since the pack pairing has to stay for the car to function (and I'm pretty sure there'd be some lawsuits if Tesla started remotely bricking cars), but they love trying to remotely undo things like ludicrous and charger upgrades, as well as sometimes pack capacities on cars that start with software locked packs that get physically upgraded.

They really don't want you to actually own your vehicle.

Because you are looking at the upgrade service. The upgrade service is only offered on vehicles with working packs. Many people have upgraded 85kWh packs to 100kWh packs, when their 85 was still working. They could have had significant degradation, or wanted more range and/or faster Supercharging.

They do offer repair services for people with bad packs, but that isn't something they can price automatically on the web site. They have to physically inspect the failed pack first to determine what value it has as a core, if any at all. (Or if it can be repaired easily.)
So at this point...there no pricing for full replacement pack?

Is there another companies that do replacement once my pack go bad?...isn't that the purpose?

Instead paying $8000!to go from 70 to 75..isn,t this common sense!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: UrsS and Rocky_H
So at this point...there no pricing for full replacement pack?

Is there another companies that do replacement once my pack go bad?...isn't that the purpose?
They also do full pack replacements. Jason has covered this before, that they don't publish a fixed price up front, because it depends on the condition of the failed pack and how much salvage value there is from it, so the price is variable.

If you want a fixed published price up front, Recell does that.

Instead paying $8000!to go from 70 to 75..isn,t this common sense!!!
You're continuing to be really insulting here.

Anyone that is on the fence about doing the upgrade with 057 the supercharging speed alone is worth it. I did a writeup on the road trip forum you can read for some more details.

but for an example today I was at 45% walked 1/2 mile to McDonald's and walked back and during that time I had to open the app and raise the charge from 90 to 100% so it wouldn't stop charging before I could get back. I walk quickly and it went from 45 to 98% in that short time frame. I had to unplug, park elsewhere, and then eat my breakfast 😂

With my old 85 pack I could plug in at 60% walk to In-N-Out eat there and walk back and it would be at like 87%.

Also the additional power is super fun and makes for more fun spirited driving. And the extra range is nice as well but damn the supercharging speed I can't get over how fast it is now. 10/10 definitely recommend an P85D to P100D upgrade for everyone.

Anyone that is on the fence about doing the upgrade with 057 the supercharging speed alone is worth it. I did a writeup on the road trip forum you can read for some more details.

but for an example today I was at 45% walked 1/2 mile to McDonald's and walked back and during that time I had to open the app and raise the charge from 90 to 100% so it wouldn't stop charging before I could get back. I walk quickly and it went from 45 to 98% in that short time frame. I had to unplug, park elsewhere, and then eat my breakfast 😂

With my old 85 pack I could plug in at 60% walk to In-N-Out eat there and walk back and it would be at like 87%.

Also the additional power is super fun and makes for more fun spirited driving. And the extra range is nice as well but damn the supercharging speed I can't get over how fast it is now. 10/10 definitely recommend an P85D to P100D upgrade for everyone.

Thanks! This is pretty consistent with what we hear from all of our 100 pack upgrade customers. 😃 Very good to hear, and glad your return trip was quick and smooth!

We actually had a California-based customer tell us she racked up almost 20 minutes in idle fees without realizing shortly after her upgrade ("high use" station dropped her slider to 80% without her noticing, and she got to 80% in <15 minutes but previously it had been taking her much longer). She went from an 85D to 100D. She jokingly told me we needed a new tagline for the 100 upgrades of something like "057 Tech - Unclogging Superchargers Since 2016" 😅

It really is night and day on supercharging vs any other S/X pack, though.

Also, we're now including the Ludicrous+ retrofit for free any time someone does an S P85D or S/X P90D upgrade to a 100 kWh pack. (The upgrades site doesn't yet reflect this, but will eventually... for now, just don't select the Ludicrous option and you'll still get it with a 100 upgrade from a performance dual motor car. Doesn't apply to non-performance vehicles or RWD vehicles, however there are paid upgrade options for some of those. For the record, it is more involved than just flipping a software switch.)

Finally I also want to note: There's some very odd ~Q2'2015 P85Ds which don't already have a ludicrous retrofit and have an unusual battery configuration that we're actively seeking as upgrade cores. If you have this config you'll notice an unusually low price for the 100 upgrade for your VIN on our site since we're applying some additional value on these particular core packs. There's only ~400 in existence, so, odds are not in your favor with that, but we want every one of them we can get our hands on. (Won't go into details as to the why, but suffice it to say Tesla spilled a little extra secret sauce when they made these ones. Also, no, not making a list or anything.)

Last edited:
will the 100 work in a 2017 75d(originallyn 60d)

Yes, we can seamlessly upgrade any pre-plaid S or X to a 100 now, including keeping OTA updates, free supercharging (if you have it already), etc.

Currently the only odd caveat we have is that P85 and P85+ (RWD versions, not the dual motor P85D) must go to Tesla and get the MCU2 upgrade done (if they haven't already) before we can upgrade them to a 100 kWh pack and make them a P100, since there's some issues with MCU1 and OTA updates on this particular configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and MP3Mike
The 100's get great supercharging speeds, but what are the chances that Tesla will nerf those rates in a future update?
Is it possible to restore charging rates in a nerfed car?

Let's put it this way. I can technically make these cars do whatever I want. I've supercharged a Tesla that was running on a Chevy Volt battery in the trunk. I've driven a Model S with an X-Box controller from the back seat. So yes, I can definitely modify it so that the car will ask for whatever supercharger rate I could possible want, and it'd hold it right up until the car explodes if I were so inclined. The superchargers themselves are mostly dumb and just listen to what the car tells it to do as long as the thermals on the charger side make it capable.

Will I do this? No. I'm not going to modify any of the nerfed cars to restore supercharger speeds. I happen to agree with the bulk of the reasons why they've done it. I don't agree with their customer-facing communication on the issue (which is effectively non-existent), but I don't think it's a great idea to change the supercharging profile on these older packs.

As for the 100 getting nerfed, that's entirely up to Tesla. I don't believe they have the same reasons to fall back on with the 100s as they do with the others, however, so it's unlikely they'll do anything significant to them any time in the near future.

Eventually they'll degrade over time like any other pack, and charge slower as a result, but I don't foresee Tesla having any plausible reasons to nerf the 100s based on everything I know at this time.

Let's put it this way. I can technically make these cars do whatever I want. I've supercharged a Tesla that was running on a Chevy Volt battery in the trunk. I've driven a Model S with an X-Box controller from the back seat. So yes, I can definitely modify it so that the car will ask for whatever supercharger rate I could possible want, and it'd hold it right up until the car explodes if I were so inclined. The superchargers themselves are mostly dumb and just listen to what the car tells it to do as long as the thermals on the charger side make it capable.

Will I do this? No. I'm not going to modify any of the nerfed cars to restore supercharger speeds. I happen to agree with the bulk of the reasons why they've done it. I don't agree with their customer-facing communication on the issue (which is effectively non-existent), but I don't think it's a great idea to change the supercharging profile on these older packs.

As for the 100 getting nerfed, that's entirely up to Tesla. I don't believe they have the same reasons to fall back on with the 100s as they do with the others, however, so it's unlikely they'll do anything significant to them any time in the near future.

Eventually they'll degrade over time like any other pack, and charge slower as a result, but I don't foresee Tesla having any plausible reasons to nerf the 100s based on everything I know at this time.
Thanks for the great info. I'd ask why they nerfed the batteries, but do I really need to know? No. At least there are reasons beyond hobbling the speed to avoid warranty claims. I do wonder if the higher rates were ever a good idea. I'm a little less cynical now, but I'm still kind of horked off about it.

Reactions: EstebanP212
The 100's get great supercharging speeds, but what are the chances that Tesla will nerf those rates in a future update?
Is it possible to restore charging rates in a nerfed car?
tesla will know its not an oem battery and can selectively attack these cars with your batteries i bet? We have free super charging for life..but if the battery changes will it still apply?

tesla will know its not an oem battery and can selectively attack these cars with your batteries i bet? We have free super charging for life..but if the battery changes will it still apply?

They are OEM batteries. The supercharging settings remain unchanged and don't change because of a pack swap. If it has free supercharging when it gets here for an upgrade, it'll have free supercharging when it leaves here.

We've done a lot of upgrades to-date. Tesla has never touched the supercharging setting on any clean-title/non-salvage car we've worked on.

(The only exceptions it seems, which apply to all cars and not just ones we upgrade, is that they squash free supercharging on cars that get traded in at Tesla now. So, get the upgrade, don't trade in your car at Tesla, and don't get into an accident and have it end up with a salvage title... and you should be fine.)

They are OEM batteries. The supercharging settings remain unchanged and don't change because of a pack swap. If it has free supercharging when it gets here for an upgrade, it'll have free supercharging when it leaves here.

We've done a lot of upgrades to-date. Tesla has never touched the supercharging setting on any clean-title/non-salvage car we've worked on.

(The only exceptions it seems, which apply to all cars and not just ones we upgrade, is that they squash free supercharging on cars that get traded in at Tesla now. So, get the upgrade, don't trade in your car at Tesla, and don't get into an accident and have it end up with a salvage title... and you should be fine.)
thanx..so we would drive to you for the swap and you keep the old pack? Does it take a few days or?