Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems with the 70D announcement that the 85D also got a power uplift or they just updated the site with the actual numbers. Anyone know which it is? Previously the 85D showed 376HP and 5.2 0-60, now it is showing 422HP and 4.4 0-60.

I think, you are correct, sir!

ModelS-old.png
ModelS-new.png

It seems with the 70D announcement that the 85D also got a power uplift or they just updated the site with the actual numbers. Anyone know which it is? Previously the 85D showed 376HP and 5.2 0-60, now it is showing 422HP and 4.4 0-60.

I hope it's just restating the true performance, we have anecdoctal evidence that the 0-60 is in the mid 4's. Mine sure feels a lot faster than my old S85.

This is purely a guess, but since there are some videos that have been out in the past few weeks that definitely show already-built-and-delivered 85Ds doing 4.4 0-60, I'm guessing that either the specs on the web site were updated to match what the car actually does, or the new specs were enabled for all 85D models in the 6.2 update.

See the following link: Model S 85D 0-60 much better than advertised : teslamotors

422 hp equates to 315 kW. So someone needs to get out there in their 85D and measure the peak power output. Not on the dash display, read the actual values from the API. Simple as that.

On my S85 with refurbed drive unit, this comes out to 305 kW max pulled from the pack. Efficiency to the motor horsepower is not 100%.

422 hp equates to 315 kW. So someone needs to get out there in their 85D and measure the peak power output. Not on the dash display, read the actual values from the API. Simple as that.

On my S85 with refurbed drive unit, this comes out to 305 kW max pulled from the pack. Efficiency to the motor horsepower is not 100%.

Give me a quick and dirty howto and I can do that.

Thanks Pontus. A quick look at the swedish site with google translate show this for the 85D with different numbers for the american site:

4-wheel drive
502 km range NEDC
4.6 seconds 0-100 kph
428 hp
522 hp engine power 261 hp front and rear

250 km / h top speed
8 years, unlimited km battery and drive unit warranty
Supercharging included

China Tesla site:

All-wheel drive
502 km mileage (NEDC)
Hundred mph 4.6 seconds
422 horsepower
Top speed of 250 km / h
Drive unit and battery warranty, 8 years unlimited mileage
Support Super Charge

Note that horsepower is the product of torque and rotational velocity (as illustrated by the power climbing throughout the speed climb). I wonder if that last data point in the power curve is a horsepower limiter coming into play at about 60 or just a sign that you had just started to back off the accelerator. If you ever get in a safe situation to push it to 75 on the acceleration, I'd be interested in if the power curve plateaus in the 60-75 mph range.

The respecing of the 85D power explains some question marks I had in my head about the power differences with the P85D and 85D front motors ostensibly with the same (mechanical) motor. And it also explains what felt like a sub-5 second acceleration with my 85D that was speced at 5+. Gotta love it when you get more than what you thought or paid for!! My 85D rocks - and keeps getting better...

Note that horsepower is the product of torque and rotational velocity (as illustrated by the power climbing throughout the speed climb). I wonder if that last data point in the power curve is a horsepower limiter coming into play at about 60 or just a sign that you had just started to back off the accelerator. If you ever get in a safe situation to push it to 75 on the acceleration, I'd be interested in if the power curve plateaus in the 60-75 mph range.

The respecing of the 85D power explains some question marks I had in my head about the power differences with the P85D and 85D front motors ostensibly with the same (mechanical) motor. And it also explains what felt like a sub-5 second acceleration with my 85D that was speced at 5+. Gotta love it when you get more than what you thought or paid for!! My 85D rocks - and keeps getting better...

I backed off quickly right near 60 on all the runs I think, let me look back at the data and see if I went further on one.

Edit: Here's one where I went a little further (but apparently double-punched the accelerator for some reason).

Screenshot 2015-04-08 11.05.28.png

Last edited:
Did a bunch of runs with the API. Peak power draw was 323kW. This was at about 78% SOC, climate off. The one shown here peaked at 321kW, I think. (Sorry for the cut off number, the top most number on the left is 300kW).

Nice! Now can we get another single motor S85 to confirm my number? I get about 305-310 at 80%. Preferably a newer S85 (past several months) as I have reason to believe the inverter is different than my original Sig drive unit. Not sure when the switch over occured.