Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded anti-sway bar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my 2017 MS 90D today and absolutely love it.
After installing a beefy anti-sway bar on my '16 GTI for autocross and noticing significant improvement in fun-factor without any change in ride quality, I'm interested in doing the same to the Tesla.

My Google fu is failing me though... I can't find a single anti-sway bar for the Model S. Surely someone makes one... right?

Fair question, but no they are not the same. The rigidity of the battery probably reduces or even completely negates the need for a strut brace - the bar you sometimes see going from the top of one strut tower to the top of the other. But an anti-sway bar serves a completely different function: it pulls both wheels toward the same offset relative to the chassis. So if one wheel goes up and the other wheel goes down (such as when you go around a turn), the sway bar will pull the inside wheel up and the outside wheel will be pushed down. If you go over a speed bump, and both wheels move up and then down simultaneously, the sway bar applies no force to either wheel.

Here's an OLD video from EngineeringExplained. I don't know if you watch any of this guy's stuff... it's pretty funny watching one of his videos from this long ago :D

I'm not a huge fan of aftermarket rear sway bars when traveling on uneven loads such as turning up a driveway. I've had the driver side rear suspension load up and clunk on a number of occasions; one time so bad that the bushing and bracket sheered right off on my 2001 VW Golf TDI (Autotech 28mm adjustable RSB)...I hate the cheap torsion beam rear suspension. I've learned to change the approach angle and drive slower when turning up a ramp.

On the complete opposite end of the automotive spectrum, I wish my Duramax had an electronic disconnecting sway bar when I'm off-roading.

As for the Tesla, I find the cornering to be sufficiently flat and I would be more concerned about disrupting the balance or changing the rather linear limit of the car.

As for the Tesla, I find the cornering to be sufficiently flat and I would be more concerned about disrupting the balance or changing the rather linear limit of the car.

Definitely understandable. And I think what I might do is resist the urge to slap one on until after I've taken it to its first autocross next year (I'm going to finish out this season in the GTI). I've no intention of autocrossing the S a lot (the GTI will be my main race car), but I have to take it out at least once :D

Definitely understandable. And I think what I might do is resist the urge to slap one on until after I've taken it to its first autocross next year (I'm going to finish out this season in the GTI). I've no intention of autocrossing the S a lot (the GTI will be my main race car), but I have to take it out at least once :D

Completely understandable, but you'll probably have more fun with the short wheelbase of the GTI for AutoX. I've got a Torsen in my TDI and it almost feels like cheating. I can understand your desire for a thicker sway bar coming from a FWD with a good amount of understeer. Ever AutoX a Miata or S2000? Not the most powerful but very balanced and predictable.

Completely understandable, but you'll probably have more fun with the short wheelbase of the GTI for AutoX. I've got a Torsen in my TDI and it almost feels like cheating. I can understand your desire for a thicker sway bar coming from a FWD with a good amount of understeer. Ever AutoX a Miata or S2000? Not the most powerful but very balanced and predictable.

Yep, i'm sure I will. It's actually the one and only reason I didn't buy a Tesla two years ago, when I got the GTI: I wanted something fun to toss around the corners and at autocross. This Tesla finally happened because it is technically my wife's car, not mine, so I still have the GTI for fun and the Tesla for groceries (and short road trips... not so sure I'll want to use it for long ones).

Yep, i'm sure I will. It's actually the one and only reason I didn't buy a Tesla two years ago, when I got the GTI: I wanted something fun to toss around the corners and at autocross. This Tesla finally happened because it is technically my wife's car, not mine, so I still have the GTI for fun and the Tesla for groceries (and short road trips... not so sure I'll want to use it for long ones).

If you're not in a hurry for a long trip, you really should consider the Tesla for the task. The long wheelbase, large diameter tires, suspension, and aerodynamics reduces road fatigue like no other car I've owned. The quick blips of passing-power and regen as you come back to normal cruising speed makes it incredibly efficient. The downside is stopping to charge takes an extra 20 minutes compared a year and a half ago (infamous software update) but it's no big deal if your trips are less than 400 miles each way. It'll take me an extra 1.5 hours to get to my 400 mile destination, but I'm much more relaxed and the emissions difference is huge.

If you're not in a hurry for a long trip, you really should consider the Tesla for the task. The long wheelbase, large diameter tires, suspension, and aerodynamics reduces road fatigue like no other car I've owned. The quick blips of passing-power and regen as you come back to normal cruising speed makes it incredibly efficient. The downside is stopping to charge takes an extra 20 minutes compared a year and a half ago (infamous software update) but it's no big deal if your trips are less than 400 miles each way. It'll take me an extra 1.5 hours to get to my 400 mile destination, but I'm much more relaxed and the emissions difference is huge.

I will certainly give it a go at road trips, in increasing distance as time goes on. I'll be driving from St. Louis to Lake of the Ozarks on Sunday and back on Wednesday. We'll see how that goes :)

Yeah, good luck getting them outside of salvage cars though

What do you mean? Have you asked and they were not available or something?

They are listed "over-the-counter (NO VIN)" in http://epc.tesla.com

That means they are not restricted parts. Tesla will sell them if they still have stock. Just ask local SC.

Part numbers for Perf+ parts are 1020241-00-A rear and 1020245-00-A front.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Oh that's cool. I didn't know about epc.tesla.com. Thanks :)

But I am a bit confused... when I go to that site, then "Model S" -> "31 - Suspension" -> "3103 - Rear Suspension (Including Hubs)" -> "Rear Stabilizer Bar And Links" I see a 20mm and 21mm bar, parts 1043961-00-B and 1043962-00-B. I was able to find part 1020241-00-A by navigating to the same category for "Model S (Before Apr 2016)", but see no such option post facelift.

But, given that the 20mm and 21mm bars are the same part numbers both pre and post facelift, I'm guessing the performance model bar is the same fit too. So that's promising. I might have to give them a ring and find out how much it costs.

Perf+ was only available as pre-facelift, that's why it's only listed in "before apr 2016" category. :)

P+ is different than regular Performance. I don't really know why they wanted to make so many changes. Nearly all suspension components have different part numbers, because P+ has stiffer bushings etc. So if you are really into suspension improvements, you might want to look into other parts as well. :)

If you are going to push the handling I suggest getting the wheel alignment done right. You may have to buy some aftermarket parts as not all cars will get to these specs. I wound up putting 265's on the front and playing with tire pressures to get the handling where I wanted.
Tesla Model S

Perf+ was only available as pre-facelift, that's why it's only listed in "before apr 2016" category. :)

P+ is different than regular Performance. I don't really know why they wanted to make so many changes. Nearly all suspension components have different part numbers, because P+ has stiffer bushings etc. So if you are really into suspension improvements, you might want to look into other parts as well. :)
Do you know the diameter of the P85+ sway bar? I've been trying to find out to ensure it's greater than my P85 sway bar - but can't seem to find any info