Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

upgraded audio vs. premium audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still deciding on the standard range vs. long range and was wondering if anyone has been able to hear the sound system in both of those models?
I am not a audiophile, but I do love my music, so I'd like the best sound quality I can get, but of course, spending an extra $7k to get the best sound is not going to happen. Yes, there are many upgrades at the long range battery level, but you get the picture.
I am also seeing conflicting info on whether Slacker Radio streaming is even available with the partial premium interior or whether it is just a $100 per year fee.
Can anyone help me out here?

This might help clarify:
Tesla Model 3 Partial Premium Interior Audio System: Video
I have the Midrange from late 2018, which has full premium interior and sound, including Slacker. I've read some recent posts on FB about people getting a discount on this model, which is no longer sold online but is available in inventory in some places. Evidently you just have to ask. That could give you the best of both worlds, at the price point you wanted, if you don't truly need the long range.

Reactions: GuyFromGPT
You can thank Tesla for the conflicting info because they did not include Slacker on the SR/SR+ but they did hint in the FAQ on Premium Connectivity that they may offer an upgrade subscription later this year. Those who have purchased the SR+ have generally posted they are very pleased with the sound quality. There is a good YouTube video of someone who owns both models doing a side by side comparison. I would not buy the LR just to get the extra speakers. SR+ is a great value as long as you are OK with the shorter range.

You can thank Tesla for the conflicting info because they did not include Slacker on the SR/SR+ but they did hint in the FAQ on Premium Connectivity that they may offer an upgrade subscription later this year. Those who have purchased the SR+ have generally posted they are very pleased with the sound quality. There is a good YouTube video of someone who owns both models doing a side by side comparison. I would not buy the LR just to get the extra speakers. SR+ is a great value as long as you are OK with the shorter range.

Thanks you OCR1 and Steph614. Heh, I didn't think to ask if they had inventory on the midrange. I'll ask them next time I am in.

I can not comment on the SR audio BUT, in my LR, DM premium the sound is...exquisite! I say this as I have upgraded MANY sound systems in cars I've owned. I've gone "high end" and middle of the road and I have yet to hear a sweeter audio system. That said, I know guys that have spent well over $5K on audio systems and still, I am amazed at the sonic delivery!

I can not comment on the SR audio BUT, in my LR, DM premium the sound is...exquisite! I say this as I have upgraded MANY sound systems in cars I've owned. I've gone "high end" and middle of the road and I have yet to hear a sweeter audio system. That said, I know guys that have spent well over $5K on audio systems and still, I am amazed at the sonic delivery!

Agreed, the sound is excellent. Have had mark levinson, Lexicon, Harmon kardon systems in past cars and have felt the 3 competes if not sounds better. Most importantly I think the range of 325 miles is totally worth it for most who plan to use it as a primary car and go on frequent day trips or road trips like SD to LA, LA to Vegas etc. SR+ is a great value and probably the best secondary vehicle but the LR transforms it into a primary vehicle due to the range.

• Disagree
Reactions: DCEV
I only have the premium sound and love it, but if you're debating between SR and LR, LR gives a better battery warranty for 30k more miles, improves resale value, and gives better acceleration. Those should be the big selling points IMO.

Since right now there are more SR+ out there, i would like to revisit this post again and see if there is any feedback regarding comparison between SR+ upgraded audio vs premium audio. Besides the lack of AMP + Subwoofer and some speakers on the back, is there any major difference that you guys knows?

Anyone even thinks about buying a subwoofer + Amp from some slavage car and slave it in? also with the missing harness that's feeding into the subwoofer + amp in SR+, anyone knows how long that harness runs and if there is a quick disconnect near the back or the harness is goes all the way from the back to the front?

Thanks!

Since right now there are more SR+ out there, i would like to revisit this post again and see if there is any feedback regarding comparison between SR+ upgraded audio vs premium audio. Besides the lack of AMP + Subwoofer and some speakers on the back, is there any major difference that you guys knows?

Anyone even thinks about buying a subwoofer + Amp from some slavage car and slave it in? also with the missing harness that's feeding into the subwoofer + amp in SR+, anyone knows how long that harness runs and if there is a quick disconnect near the back or the harness is goes all the way from the back to the front?

Thanks!

I *need* to upgrade the SR+ audio. It's total *sugar*. Needs a sub urgently, and since the rear-door speakers are terrible, it needs the rear-deck speakers operating unfortunately.

I'm currently thinking that pulling a signal from the rear doors, if it hasn't been DSP'd to death, to power an amp that runs both rear speakers and a custom sub would be the most simple solution. It would give a degree of fade.

If I was keeping the car for more than a couple of years, I'd gut the audio system and replace it completely. Most people have not experienced good sound in a car, so I can understand why they think the Model 3 is great in that respect. I'm sure the not-SR systems are adequate, but my + is only good for podcasts as is.

Alternatively, Tesla could be actually nice, considering how much they've ripped off SR+ buyers, and offer a paid upgrade for the sound system. Say, $500 for the sub installed, and to switch on the rear speakers.

I *need* to upgrade the SR+ audio. It's total *sugar*. Needs a sub urgently, and since the rear-door speakers are terrible, it needs the rear-deck speakers operating unfortunately.

I'm currently thinking that pulling a signal from the rear doors, if it hasn't been DSP'd to death, to power an amp that runs both rear speakers and a custom sub would be the most simple solution. It would give a degree of fade.

If I was keeping the car for more than a couple of years, I'd gut the audio system and replace it completely. Most people have not experienced good sound in a car, so I can understand why they think the Model 3 is great in that respect. I'm sure the not-SR systems are adequate, but my + is only good for podcasts as is.

Alternatively, Tesla could be actually nice, considering how much they've ripped off SR+ buyers, and offer a paid upgrade for the sound system. Say, $500 for the sub installed, and to switch on the rear speakers.

I really hope they will but from my experience with Tesla , which is friendly customer service (doesn't mean is good or informative) before purchase, zero customer service after purchase, we will get nothing out from this case with SR+ owner.

Reactions: lmorda
Just registered so I could comment on this.

I took delivery of my SR+ this week. My wife has had an LR, premium sound since July '18.

The SR+ system sounds "ok", but it's definitely missing a good sub. and the rear speakers. I've asked twice (on the phone, and at delivery) if a salvaged wiring harness + sub (they are on eBay for about $300) would make it work or if it is software limited, and nobody ever knows the answer.

I'm not looking to hack it myself, those years are long past. I'd rather just pay somebody to upgrade it or add in the stock components and figure it all out. Please let me know any ideas for that. Failing that, hopefully there will be some reasonable aftermarket upgrade options.

I'd be happy with a Tesla official "upgrade charge". Once they're done trying to force up margins by bundling options with the big battery :)-)), I think they'd be silly not to start offering that.

What I'd really like is Apple Music integration, but that's ANOTHER whole conversation.

To the point about an aftermarket enclosure in original stock location, I may take that on. I have a CNC machine and the CAD skills for that or 3D printing, so that should be an easy project. The trick is finding a material that's stiff enough for the enclosure that you can print in. Laser sintered nylon (shape ways.com) is volume restricted (and very expensive). But there are some good sized PLA printers now (CR-10, etc). A good design could just be CNCed from high quality ply though.

Thanks!

Reactions: Legen---dary
Quoting my post to update: After putting all my music on a USB, I have to say that it sounds a LOT better from that source than from bluetooth. Still want that low end thump for my Rock genre though.

Did you mess with the EQ settings? I turned the bass up using the EQ and while it’s not a good as a dedicated sub, I find the bass acceptable now.

Did you mess with the EQ settings? I turned the bass up using the EQ and while it’s not a good as a dedicated sub, I find the bass acceptable now.

Ok, DOH! I guess you don't move that slider DOWN to get more BASS....... I was thinking of the frequency spectrum I guess!

I moved it above the middle, and now it's mucho better.

And I'll add one more point to my "maybe it's time to retire" score...... :confused:

Reactions: qdeathstar
Just want to comment that it's doable to enable rear shelf speaker/door tweeter and subwofer, I've done myself it as an aftermarket installation.
You can read it more on here for installation guide. Hope it helps!

Just registered so I could comment on this.

I took delivery of my SR+ this week. My wife has had an LR, premium sound since July '18.

The SR+ system sounds "ok", but it's definitely missing a good sub. and the rear speakers. I've asked twice (on the phone, and at delivery) if a salvaged wiring harness + sub (they are on eBay for about $300) would make it work or if it is software limited, and nobody ever knows the answer.

I'm not looking to hack it myself, those years are long past. I'd rather just pay somebody to upgrade it or add in the stock components and figure it all out. Please let me know any ideas for that. Failing that, hopefully there will be some reasonable aftermarket upgrade options.

I know this is a month old, but I've been deep researching and getting the proper answer.

So here it is, it's not going to be as easy as buying the wiring harness and a sub.

The rear amp powers the back end of the car and the front amp powers well...the front end.

But since the SR has no rear end amp they slightly rewired the harness on the front amp to power the front 5 speakers and the 2 rear door speakers.

The rear shelf, a pillar and window tweeters are all there and the plugs are present, but the wire is missing to plug Into it.

The SR has a completely different wiring harness special for the SR.

I'm about half was confident I can get an original amp and if I can get the associated connectors cut, I can rewire all the speakers back to factory,

I'm stuck on where the hell the A2P signal comes from on the front amp.

Reactions: lmorda