Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Backup Gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THE TESLA CONTRACTOR SAID TESLA REQUIRED ETHERNET CONNECTION. INFO ABOUT INSTALL IS VAGUE FOR THE CONTRACTOR AS THIS IS LITERALLY THE FIRST SITE INSPECTION IN AUSTRALIA FOR GATEWAY 2.

CONTRACTOR HAS LENGTHY "20 QUESTIONS" PROFORMA ON CELL PHONE TO TAKE PICTURES OF ELECTRICAL BOARDS, LOCATION, ACCESS, MODEM SPEC LABEL ETC. ASKED WHAT ITEMS I WANTED BACKED UP AND I SAID JUST BACK UP RED PHASE PLEASE. THREE PHASE IN AUSTRALIA IS DESCRIBED AS RED/WHITE/BLUE AND I HAVE A 100A FUSE PER 240V PHASE. YEP, THEORETICAL 72kW OF SUPPLY. THAT'S 3 OLD DUAL CHARGER TESLA MODEL S's CHARGING AT FULL 22kW AND STILL ENOUGH TO RUN MY HOUSE ;)

Is that enough "AMPLIFICATION" for you?

THE TESLA CONTRACTOR SAID TESLA REQUIRED ETHERNET CONNECTION. INFO ABOUT INSTALL IS VAGUE FOR THE CONTRACTOR AS THIS IS LITERALLY THE FIRST SITE INSPECTION IN AUSTRALIA FOR GATEWAY 2.

CONTRACTOR HAS LENGTHY "20 QUESTIONS" PROFORMA ON CELL PHONE TO TAKE PICTURES OF ELECTRICAL BOARDS, LOCATION, ACCESS, MODEM SPEC LABEL ETC. ASKED WHAT ITEMS I WANTED BACKED UP AND I SAID JUST BACK UP RED PHASE PLEASE. THREE PHASE IN AUSTRALIA IS DESCRIBED AS RED/WHITE/BLUE AND I HAVE A 100A FUSE PER 240V PHASE. YEP, THEORETICAL 72kW OF SUPPLY. THAT'S 3 OLD DUAL CHARGER TESLA MODEL S's CHARGING AT FULL 22kW AND STILL ENOUGH TO RUN MY HOUSE ;)

Is that enough "AMPLIFICATION" for you?
excellent, and thank you. i'm in SW Florida, USA and have had powerwall res for perhaps 1/2 to 1 year, so i'm guessing IF I have lots of pre-requisites already ready to go, So I might need a mini-switch hooked to router and run a few CAT6 ethernet cables around the house, 20 - 30 meter max runs
thanks for the heads up

You shouldn't need Ethernet on the old gateway. I did run Ethernet to mine but it was pretty simple for me to do so. That would be interesting if the new gateway 2 needs Ethernet. I wonder if it still uses Neurio. Also it should have a cell connection too right? I'd say that's an odd requirement, but still the best way to set it up.

Would love to see pictures inside and out once you get it installed.

You shouldn't need Ethernet on the old gateway. I did run Ethernet to mine but it was pretty simple for me to do so. That would be interesting if the new gateway 2 needs Ethernet. I wonder if it still uses Neurio. Also it should have a cell connection too right? I'd say that's an odd requirement, but still the best way to set it up.

Would love to see pictures inside and out once you get it installed.

So, no pics of install until May as the hardware won't arrive in Australia until then. That's from a Tesla Energy call to me this morning. At least the hold up won't be the utility approval.

Reactions: Shygar
My adviser from local certified Powerwall installer (Not TESLA Energy) here in SoCal confirmed (via email today 18 Feb 2019) that I will be getting Backup Gateway VERSION 2 for my 10 kW Solar PV system and Powerwall 2 project.

Now, I will believe it when I see it.

I'd be disappointed if he was blowing smoke up! o_O

My adviser from local certified Powerwall installer (Not TESLA Energy) here in SoCal confirmed (via email today 18 Feb 2019) that I will be getting Backup Gateway VERSION 2 for my 10 kW Solar PV system and Powerwall 2 project.

I'll be disappointed if you get one and I don't and we're both in SoCal and Not using Tesla Energy !! :p

Especially after a multiple-week back and forth between Installer and TE in January, 2019 specifically about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Wow. Only 100A current capacity compared to the 200A capacity on the current unit.

I have a 400A feed and a generator, so was really hoping the next rev of gateway would support 400A, or at least support controlling a real transfer switch that can handle arbitrary current. Not being able to switch more than 200A is a problem.

Mike

Reactions: MP3Mike

I'll be disappointed if you get one and I don't and we're both in SoCal and Not using Tesla Energy !! :p

Especially after a multiple-week back and forth between Installer and TE in January, 2019 specifically about this.

I checked on this as well, my PW2 installation is scheduled for March. The system designer said they are released in Aus and EU and not available for installation here in the US yet. Would like to know if this is true, and whether its a matter of going with Tesla vs local installer.

Wow. Only 100A current capacity compared to the 200A capacity on the current unit.

I have a 400A feed and a generator, so was really hoping the next rev of gateway would support 400A, or at least support controlling a real transfer switch that can handle arbitrary current. Not being able to switch more than 200A is a problem.
Not only that, it's 80A for split-phase like North American grid. That's a huge step backwards from the original Backup Gateway. 80A 3-phase (55kVA for European grid) is fine.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not only that, it's 80A for split-phase like North American grid. That's a huge step backwards from the original Backup Gateway. 80A 3-phase (55kVA for European grid) is fine.

What are these guys thinking? Maybe they don't ever intend to release this model in the US? But seems an odd design - do they really save a lot of money by lowering the current rating on the relays?

The design seems pointless.

What are these guys thinking? Maybe they don't ever intend to release this model in the US? But seems an odd design - do they really save a lot of money by lowering the current rating on the relays?

The design seems pointless.
If they release Powerwalls with built-in 3-phase inverters, it looks like a great solution for Australia and Europe where residential 3-phase is common and 230Y400V 64A service is the norm for a large home. I agree that it makes no sense for North America. If anything, North America needs a 400A backup gateway.

If they release Powerwalls with built-in 3-phase inverters, it looks like a great solution for Australia and Europe where residential 3-phase is common and 230Y400V 64A service is the norm for a large home. I agree that it makes no sense for North America. If anything, North America needs a 400A backup gateway.
Yes. That’s why I reluctantly canceled my order and went with a Sonnen battery solution.

400A backup gateway would certainly be a big advantage for the NA market, especially with high end homes becoming so power hungry. While theoretically possible to blend 2 powerwall systems in one home, even a 200A powerwall system with 6 -9 Powerwalls can fulfill most of the needs of a 400A service while they have a charge.

Also agree that true integration with a generator ATS would be gold.

+1 They could even just skip the transfer switch part and use an external transfer switch and provide control signals for genset start and for transfer switch operation.

The lack of a 400A gateway is preventing me from buying 4 powerwalls. I guess they can't even produce enough for their existing demand so why bother with us 400A customers?

Oh well.

The Sonnen stuff is hugely expensive, and while it has much more flexible control, you are going to need a garage full of space for equivalent capacity of a few powerwalls. Shell bought them, so maybe they'll turn it eventually into a useful product.

Reactions: NuShrike
+1 They could even just skip the transfer switch part and use an external transfer switch and provide control signals for genset start and for transfer switch operation.

The lack of a 400A gateway is preventing me from buying 4 powerwalls. I guess they can't even produce enough for their existing demand so why bother with us 400A customers?

Oh well.

The Sonnen stuff is hugely expensive, and while it has much more flexible control, you are going to need a garage full of space for equivalent capacity of a few powerwalls. Shell bought them, so maybe they'll turn it eventually into a useful product.
Or at least more affordable. Features at nearly twice the price of a PowerWall at similar energy capacities is basically VHS vs Beta again.

But it's Shell, so they're probably more likely to eventually shut down Sonnen than make it competitive and long-running.

I just noticed something else in the "Backup" section of the datasheet. It says it can only back up one phase but it will automatically disconnect all phases. That's a huge limitation for 3-phase users.

It's not that big a "limitation" because my power supply can go years without ever going off and if it does it's less than an hour. Backup is not the main motivator, using solar after the sun has gone down is. It will backup one of my 3 phases up to 7kW peak and 5kW nom. If split over all 3 phases then you'd assume about 1.7kW per phase. I just need to put some essentials on the phase I wish to backup like lights, fridge, PC and aircon in one room. Easy to do on 5kW.

Reactions: Shygar

Oh well.

Yea, some people can get away with just a single 200A feed, but others maybe not. Its possible depending on load profiles to replace an entire 400A feed with a 200A feed. I could see down the road, them master/slaving multiple gateways. Easier to own the whole system themselves, as the gateway(s) and inverter need to maintain the UL1741 listing rather than integrating with other 3rd party transfer switches.

A 400A gateway would allow more flexibility in the design process, but there's often times ways to get most if not all of what you need with a 200A feed, especially considering that the 4 or more Powerwalls can provide the delta between the 200A grid feed and the needed load while they have a charge. Still, most main panels that I see these days in the bay area are 2x200, so a true 400A gateway would require a whole new Main service panel, and that expense would add quite a bit to the average installation. @fresnoboy Would you buy a new MSP to make your 400A gateway work, or maybe you are among the rare folks with a true 400A MSP with 400A main?

Powerwalls are important, transportation is important. There are Powerwalls to be had out there, but not everyone has them. You might be right that they won't prioritize a 400A disconnect until the industry is more mature. They might make it allowed to run multiple gateways instead, combining them using software in the app. This would serve much of the need, while remaining flexible for even larger 600 or 800A services. Larger switchboards could have 2 or more 200A gateways all acting together to backup the whole house. In my opinion this is the path of success rather than a true 400A gateway.

Last edited: