Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Falcon 9 Demonstration Flight 2013-09-29

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LIFTOFF!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Webcast seems to have issues with the video feed to the rocket, but the rocket itself seems to be doing ok :)

- - - Updated - - -

They just mentioned that first stage has re-lighted its engine :) So let's hope for a successful test of powered slowdown :D

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting fingers crossed for the vehicle downlink. As I understand it's the communication blackout period right now that's normal ... but they really should talk on the feed about it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well they claim it was a picture perfect launch :) I guess we'll have to wait for the press conference about the grasshopper part.

LIFTOFF!!!!
Well they claim it was a picture perfect launch :) I guess we'll have to wait for the press conference about the grasshopper part.
I caught a brief glimpse of a contrail around 2-3 mins into the launch. I'm used to watching VAFB launches and was curious how the F-9 would look in the daytime. Not much to see. Hopefully, there's a dawn/dusk or nighttime launch in the near future.
I heard one of the console people say the 3rd stage had re-fired (for the grasshopper descent presumably) but that's about it. Pretty damn fine job so far.

Darn it, I slept in and missed it. I hope the have a video up for streaming soon.

You can watch the replay here. Great success from everything seen on related SpaceX blogs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFefasS6bhc

What will be very interesting is if and when they will show the rocket stage splashdown which for the first time will test the latest Grasshopper software and functionality to Re-light (successful it appears) and "gracefully" land in the ocean. That would be some great video.

Last edited:
By Jeff Foust from media telecon:

Musk:

"
*it was a great day. All satellites placed in their orbits. Demoed all tech.
*Attempted relight of upper stage, encountered anomaly. Understand what it is and will fix before next flight.
*Lower stage 3-engine relight went well, reentered. Single-engine relight went well, but exceeded roll control of ACS.
*rolling "centrifuged" propellant, shut down engine early. Did recover "portions" of 1st stage after splashdown.
*despite that, we have all the pieces in place to accomplish recovery of stages in the future, "full and rapid reusability" of stage.

*all 1st and 2nd stage engines performed "slightly better than expected.
*new pad at Vandenberg AFB also performed well.
*on track for next launch, of SES satellite, next month; may wait a few weeks to finalize second stage relight issue.
*won't attempt recovery on next 2 launches to give customers for those missions maximum performance
*will next attempt recovery on 4th F9 v1.1 launch, of CRS-3. That vehicle may also have landing legs.(!!!)
*[but] won't hold up CRS-3 launch to install legs on F9. Schedule driven by upgrades to Dragon. Probably Feb '14 launch.

*working with Air Force and FAA on identifying landing sites for F9 1st stage, looking at eastern tip of Cape Canaveral.
*did recover video of the first stage reentry, hope to post it online later this week.(!)
*still working on 3rd launch site, "quite likely" to be Texas but not resolved yet.
*Also pursuing LC-39A at KSC for NASA (cargo and crew). Current Cape launch site would be used for other customers.
*hoping to do a test firing of Falcon Heavy at Texas test site by 2nd quarter of 2014.
*huge relief to have successfully delivered CASSIOPE to orbit. It had been weighing on me quite heavily.
*goal is to attempt 1st stage recovery on all future CRS launches and many others; next two (w/out recovery) more of an anomaly.
*if things go "super well", could refly a Falcon 9 1st stage by the end of next year.
"

Last edited:
Went to the launch this am. Very cool!!

IMG_7625.jpg

*it was a great day. All satellites placed in their orbits. Demoed all tech.
*Attempted relight of upper stage, encountered anomaly. Understand what it is and will fix before next flight.
*Lower stage 3-engine relight went well, reentered. Single-engine relight went well, but exceeded roll control of ACS.
*rolling "centrifuged" propellant, shut down engine early. Did recover "portions" of 1st stage after splashdown.
*despite that, we have all the pieces in place to accomplish recovery of stages in the future, "full and rapid reusability" of stage.

*all 1st and 2nd stage engines performed "slightly better than expected.
*new pad at Vandenberg AFB also performed well.
*on track for next launch, of SES satellite, next month; may wait a few weeks to finalize second stage relight issue.
*won't attempt recovery on next 2 launches to give customers for those missions maximum performance
*will next attempt recovery on 4th F9 v1.1 launch, of CRS-3. That vehicle may also have landing legs.(!!!)
*[but] won't hold up CRS-3 launch to install legs on F9. Schedule driven by upgrades to Dragon. Probably Feb '14 launch.

*working with Air Force and FAA on identifying landing sites for F9 1st stage, looking at eastern tip of Cape Canaveral.
*did recover video of the first stage reentry, hope to post it online later this week.(!)
*still working on 3rd launch site, "quite likely" to be Texas but not resolved yet.
*Also pursuing LC-39A at KSC for NASA (cargo and crew). Current Cape launch site would be used for other customers.
*hoping to do a test firing of Falcon Heavy at Texas test site by 2nd quarter of 2014.
*huge relief to have successfully delivered CASSIOPE to orbit. It had been weighing on me quite heavily.
*goal is to attempt 1st stage recovery on all future CRS launches and many others; next two (w/out recovery) more of an anomaly.
*if things go "super well", could refly a Falcon 9 1st stage by the end of next year.
"

Wow. Just wow. It sounds like the only thing that could have been better is for the fuel to have stayed in a usable position. The lessons learned sound like we have a huge win for re-usability. Next year. Wow.

I really wish I could invest in SpaceX.

It’s was tele(phone)conference, and by web coverance it was between Jeff Foust and Elon Musk :)

[edit] Ok there were other too (but oddly only from twitter):

Additional details from other people following the teleconference:

Tweet from Michael Belfiore @MichaelBelfiore

@elonmusk Recoverable F9 will have to fly 15% less payload for water landing, 30% less for land touchdown

Tweet from Douglas Messier @spacecom

Musk: finishing up test stand for Falcon Heavy in McGregor, TX. Should be a bit quieter due to config of test stand.

Tweet from James Dean @flatoday_jdean

SpaceX now targeting Q2 '14 for Dragon pad abort test from Cape. "It's going to go like a bullet."

Tweet from James Dean @flatoday_jdean 1h

Musk: upgraded Dragon flying next NASA mission "looks pretty cool."

Last edited:
Video from 41 miles away. Amazingly bright and loud. Another view starts around 1:25.

The video is labeled "First stage relighting" which is incorrect.
The giant puff of exhaust is not the re-light but I believe the nozzle on the 2nd stage

Last edited by a moderator:
Zarya is reporting that there's been a possible explosion

SpaceX Falcon 9 – Possible Explosion
http://www.zarya.info/blog/?p=1595

which of course is now being picked up by media outlets
http://www.businessinsider.com/report-explosion-on-elon-musks-spacex-rocket-falcon-9-2013-10

report has not been confirmed by SpaceX ​so take these reports with a grain of salt.

"Zarya is reporting that SpaceTrack — a satellite tracking service — shows that Falcon 9 is currently in pieces"

- - - Updated - - -

probably should put Space X in the title or something so that ppl doing searches on "what's new" don't think that I'm referring to Tesla, lol sorry (mods pls update)