Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Interior lighting M3... Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, xkglow use LED lights. I use Laser as a light source
Not sure about the thickness of Xkglow but the Fiber I use is 900uM and the core just 170uM
That makes it almost invisible during Daylight. Also The regular (plastic) Fiber doesn’t glow with the same brightness all the way, you can see the variations along the fiber (it will be brighter next to the light source). This won’t happen with Laser.

Yes multicolor can be turned on/off from the Tesla screen and the colors controlled from the app

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Not sure about the thickness of Xkglow but the Fiber I use is 900uM and the core just 170uM
That makes it almost invisible during Daylight. Also The regular (plastic) Fiber doesn’t glow with the same brightness all the way, you can see the variations along the fiber (it will be brighter next to the light source). This won’t happen with Laser.

Yes multicolor can be turned on/off from the Tesla screen and the colors controlled from the app

There’s a long thread here with some pics from ppl that already installed it : Ambient light Upgrade M3 - Tesla Owners Online

Reactions: PNWLeccy

That's awesome! I did not realize you could do true RGB with laser wire since from what ive seen on elluminglow it looked like they only could do "multicolored" which consisted of two different colored laser module capsules on each end of the fiber to create a different color other than the standard red, green, blue.

Hi all,
Coped my post from Tesla Owners Online to here also in case it helps someone - My budget doesn't stretch to an RGB laser, but I recently brought the Basenor 3 light kit rgb leds.

After reading all of the posts on here about making these aftermarket light work with the ambient lighting circuit, my curiosity was tickled. My 2020 Model 3 doesn't have door pocket lights. No idea if the wiring is there, but the lights don't turn on, and I did not fancy taking the door to pieces, or feeding wires through the rubber boot.
Anyway - long story short - My father (Whizz with electronics) has helped me to take a very small feed current from the footwell lights (via some components) to switch a small relay and power my new light kit with the cigarette lighter power... BUT it is switched on and off whenever the footwell lights are on (i.e lights go off when car locked - even though 12v socket is still live for a while) and lights stay on when footwell dims (They don't dim... sorry!). Also - if you turn off ambient lights on the touchscreen, the RGB kit turns off too.

So hopefully I (with MUCH help from dad!) have hit on the holy grail - ambient light control without having to tap into the door.

This does require taking a small feed from one of the footwell lights, but this is <3mA at most - not going to trip any fuses.

All the actual power for any lights or load you could connect comes from the 12V socket.

I think the Basenor kit looks great for what it costs - not going to argue that the lasers would be sooo much better, but couldn't justify the cost.

Happy to share some form of circuit diagram (once I have pinned dad down on the details) to help others make something similar.

Current prototype is a bit 'farmyard' engineering - hope to get some PCB vero-board and make a tidy version now I know it works and will share photos of the switch circuit then if people are interested?

Photos attached of Baenor kit in my M3 LR 2020.

** Aside** - mounted the dash light pipe deep in the vent - small gap between dash trim and vent plastic is perfect with a bit of patience - managed to slot the mounting strip in here - no glue or double sided used, no reflections off the screen, actually out of my field of view when driving as I am quite tall, but nice soft glow, neat and tidy, and 6 yr old loves it (Disco mode!).

Happy tinkering!

Attachments

• 20201025_185705_resized4368600900260251803.jpg
    20201025_185705_resized4368600900260251803.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 277
  • 20201025_192426_resized3377880107038464537.jpg
    20201025_192426_resized3377880107038464537.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 209
Hi All,

Follow on from my post No.200

I Attach the circuit diagram for this ambient light sensing circuit. This takes a very small amount of power (Max 3mA) form the ambient light positive feed wire and uses it to switch a relay connected to a much bigger 12V supply (i.e. cigarette lighter)
Used in my Model 3 to switch Basenor RGB Led kit on and off with the ambient footwell lights.

Feel free to copy the circuit and use it.
I will put together & post kits of parts for anyone who is interested, and even build the board for you if you like (for a small fee!)

Linked

Disclaimer - If you build this and plug it onto your Tesla - it is at your own risk (obviously!).

Relay HFD23/012-1ZS
Diode 1N4143
Resistors standard 0.25w 1%
Cap 0.47uF Metal film
Transistor BC337-40

Happy tinkering!

Attachments

• 20201030_164359.jpg
    20201030_164359.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 196
Hi All,

I Attach the circuit diagram for this ambient light sensing circuit. This takes a very small amount of power (Max 3mA) form the ambient light positive feed wire and uses it to switch a relay connected to a much bigger 12V supply (i.e. cigarette lighter)
Used in my Model 3 to switch Basenor RGB Led kit on and off with the ambient footwell lights.

I will put together & post kits of parts for anyone who is interested, and even build the board for you if you like (for a small fee!)

Linked

Disclaimer - If you build this and plug it onto your Tesla - it is at your own risk (obviously!).

Relay HFD23/012-1ZS
Diode 1N4143
Cap 0.47uF Metal film
Transistor BC337-40

Happy tinkering!

Jeremy,

How do you tie into the footwell lights? Do you use a couple of t-connectors to tap into the power lines? Any idea what shipping would be to the States?

We have the Basenor kit for our Model Y and like the look but having to remember to turn it on and off is a pain.

Thanks,
Greg

Jeremy,

How do you tie into the footwell lights? Do you use a couple of t-connectors to tap into the power lines? Any idea what shipping would be to the States?

We have the Basenor kit for our Model Y and like the look but having to remember to turn it on and off is a pain.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg

I actually disassembled one of the footwell light modules (easy with a little screwdriver and some careful application of force) and soldered onto the pins in the light before re-assembling it..... - This is a bit above and beyond what I needed to do!
In hindsight just a t-tap connector or similar onto JUST the positive feed to the footwell light would be fine. you don't need the ground wire too (ground is shared between lights and cigarette lighter - so we just use the cigarette lighter ground)
I guess my way means if the electrics ever did go a bit funny, you could just pull out and replace the footwell light and Tesla would never know you had been messing with the circuit. Some folks say they can get funny about the warranty.

It is possible to get / make a new wire to place between the OEM tesla connector and the footwell light (abstract ocean sell one for £10) and I have listed the parts required if you want to make your own in a separate thread here...
Footwell / Puddle light connector brand? - Tesla Owners Online
BUT this is only useful if you want complete reversibility and no trace on the vehicle wiring. Again - above and beyond really.

Happy to send you a kit or build and send a board. Postage looks to be £6-£11 depending if you would want it tracked. (this is without the little box it sits in - easy to buy locally but would increase postage costs by more than the box is worth!)

J

Hi All,

Linked

Relay HFD23/012-1ZS
Diode 1N4143
Cap 0.47uF Metal film
Transistor BC337-40

Happy tinkering!

would this work when installed between the 12v plug and the lights? Looking for a Bluetooth switch that turns the basenor lights on when my phone is connected via Bluetooth and turns the lights off when phone is out of reach

€ 6,60 10% Off | ZL-RC01B Bluetooth 4.0 BLE Controlled 1 Channel Relay Module 6-24V 10A for Android IOS IOT Smart Home Switch
US $7.55 13% OFF|ZL RC01B Bluetooth 4.0 BLE Controlled 1 Channel Relay Module 6 24V 10A for Android IOS IOT Smart Home Switch|bluetooth relay|bluetooth relay modulerelay switch - AliExpress

would this work when installed between the 12v plug and the lights? Looking for a Bluetooth switch that turns the basenor lights on when my phone is connected via Bluetooth and turns the lights off when phone is out of reach

€ 6,60 10% Off | ZL-RC01B Bluetooth 4.0 BLE Controlled 1 Channel Relay Module 6-24V 10A for Android IOS IOT Smart Home Switch
US $7.55 13% OFF|ZL RC01B Bluetooth 4.0 BLE Controlled 1 Channel Relay Module 6 24V 10A for Android IOS IOT Smart Home Switch|bluetooth relay|bluetooth relay modulerelay switch - AliExpress

Looks like you want some sort of proximity bluetooth switch?! No idea if the board you linked will simply switch on when you phone is in range, or would require an app / interaction to make it work?
Also it would not have the ambient light control from the touchscreen (ie go off when the footwell lights are off)
Looks like a great little board for a good price though! If it will do what you want. One way to find out...!
Good luck

If you figure this out, I'd love to know how. I like the look on the center console, but having to unplug is well... Not great.

Morning everyone,
Adding to my original basenor light tube kit, I have now put rgb strips in the footwells.
There was (luckily) spare solder pads for 12v and rgb in the Basenor controller. I have connected to this, and the new footwells follow the same colour and pattern set for the light tubes.

YouTube

Happy to build and post relay switch board as posted in an earlier thread. Circuit for self build attached in an earlier post.

Happy tinkering
J

Last edited: