Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded iPhone and traded in the phone and forgot to take key card with me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then don’t complain when it doesn’t work for you.

I Carry 1 credit card, 1 license, 1 check, 1 Tesla Keycard and couple other odds and ends.

I’d use a case that holds that stuff but that kills wireless charging.
I am sorry if I sounded like complaining.

I was just sharing my success story on how I resolved the problem I faced when sim to eSim transfer failed due to the incompetency of the phone carrier.

Reactions: mswlogo
At the bottom of page 10 of the Model 3 Owner’s Manual, next to a “caution” symbol (yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it), it states:

CAUTION: Always carry your key card with you in your purse or wallet to use as a backup in case your authenticated phone has a dead battery, or is lost or stolen.
If I followed all the instructions and cautions in all the manuals of everything I buy........ omg....... I cannot imagine....
I only watch out for WARNING.

For example, on page 53

CAUTION: The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury.

I will not stop the car and zoom in on the screen to see if my tail lights are on when it starts to rain. I have it on Auto and trust that it does its job.

On page 74

CAUTION: Do not attempt to remove dirt or debris by wiping an exposed lens with your hands or a cloth. This debris can damage the surface of the lens when rubbed against it during wiping.

I always wipe the rear camera with my bare fingers.

Last edited:
afadeev said:
There is no such thing as "SIM to eSIM" identity transfer.
You can port your phone # from one SIM to another ("e" or physical), and transfer your contacts stored on the SIM or the phone, but that's about it.

… all of which is handled behind the scenes by Apple’s software. It’s exactly the process as he described; Apple has built hooks into the major carriers to automate that entire process.

Which is the eUICC activation and MDN transfer. Which works fine.

Which is why OP's claim makes ZERO sense that "I tried to transfer SIM to eSIM and my carrier is Visible and they could not do it at the store."

How hard is that to comprehend without a conspiracy theory. Everyone is a conspiracy theorist these days.

Conspiracy theory?
That's all you, buddy!

Which is the eUICC activation and MDN transfer. Which works fine.

Which is why OP's claim makes ZERO sense that "I tried to transfer SIM to eSIM and my carrier is Visible and they could not do it at the store."

Conspiracy theory?
That's all you, buddy!

The apple store employee and phone carrier could not transfer my phone number from my old iphone 12(physical sim) to new iphone 14 pro (eSIM).

transfer sim to esim doesn't literally mean transfer the long sim number to esim and get rid of the plastic sim.
they were supposed to make my old number work on the new phone without the physical sim card. they called it "sim to esim transfer". I didn't make that up.

I hope this helps.

IMG_9301.jpeg

1672695827016.png

Some day the dude is going to drop or lose his phone and be stranded miles from home without any way to drive home or even eat. Just silly not to have a few bucks, your car key, and an ID on your person, especially as some sort of fashion statement (I'm a cool, digital man?).
So, carrying one card key and one ID in your wallet, is somehow safer than carrying them in your phone? A cool dude can just as easily lose his wallet.

For me, I also have a cellular Watch with the ability to open the car door and drive, and use Pay. So, redundancy. And, for even more redundancy, I also have a lanyard which holds my Covid vax card, and an ID and a Tesla card and a credit card. If I'm going somewhere that needed vax proof, I also wear my lanyard.

So, carrying one card key and one ID in your wallet, is somehow safer than carrying them in your phone? A cool dude can just as easily lose his wallet.

For me, I also have a cellular Watch with the ability to open the car door and drive, and use Pay. So, redundancy. And, for even more redundancy, I also have a lanyard which holds my Covid vax card, and an ID and a Tesla card and a credit card. If I'm going somewhere that needed vax proof, I also wear my lanyard.
Well, in the olden days, the wallet and keys were at least separate. These days all the rest of us have wallets, and are able to pay and drive the car with our phones as well. Using just the phone seems like courting problems to most of us...but I'm sure we're all wrong. ;)

Reactions: rpiotro
Some day the dude is going to drop or lose his phone and be stranded miles from home without any way to drive home or even eat. Just silly not to have a few bucks, your car key, and an ID on your person, especially as some sort of fashion statement (I'm a cool, digital man?).
Naw, no problem. I mean those phones never are lost, stolen, broken due to misadventure or just quit working due to defect. Right?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Naw, no problem. I mean those phones never are lost, stolen, broken due to misadventure or just quit working due to defect. Right?
LOL. Naw, wallets and keys aren't ever lost or stolen either. Right?

If I lose my phone, I have a chance to find it with Find My Device.

If my phone is stolen, I have a Watch backup, that can open the car and pay for things, though I suppose it can be stolen too. But, at least it can be easily replaced and fully restored with a backup from the cloud. Losing a wallet, you can replace the cards, but takes more time to replace than a phone with cloud backup.

If it's broken or defective, same as if it's stolen. Replace and restore from the cloud.

Sure, I suppose I now have one-point of failure as opposed to three, with a phone, wallet and keys. But I figure I'm more prone to forget something if I have to remember to bring 3 things, as opposed to just my phone. And, forgetting things is a bigger risk and more common occurrence than losing or having my phone stolen or broken. If I work out the probabilities and the inconvenience factor of each outcome, carrying everything in my phone works for me. Clearly, it doesn't work for others.

Okay, you have convinced me of the foolishness of my ways. I've ordered a RFID Tesla keycard embedded in a watch strap.
1672775486672.jpeg

If I followed all the instructions and cautions in all the manuals of everything I buy........ omg....... I cannot imagine....
I only watch out for WARNING.

For example, on page 53

CAUTION: The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury.

I will not stop the car and zoom in on the screen to see if my tail lights are on when it starts to rain. I have it on Auto and trust that it does its job.

On page 74

CAUTION: Do not attempt to remove dirt or debris by wiping an exposed lens with your hands or a cloth. This debris can damage the surface of the lens when rubbed against it during wiping.

I always wipe the rear camera with my bare fingers.

I keep a can of Invisible Glass Wipes in all my cars. They come handy for lots of things. Occasionally I’ll clean all the cameras with one.

An occasional thumb wipe is probably fine, I’ve done that myself in an emergency. But over time it’s probably a good idea to yield to the warning.

Hmmm, odd about the taillights.

LOL. Naw, wallets and keys aren't ever lost or stolen either. Right?

If I lose my phone, I have a chance to find it with Find My Device.

If my phone is stolen, I have a Watch backup, that can open the car and pay for things, though I suppose it can be stolen too. But, at least it can be easily replaced and fully restored with a backup from the cloud. Losing a wallet, you can replace the cards, but takes more time to replace than a phone with cloud backup.

If it's broken or defective, same as if it's stolen. Replace and restore from the cloud.

Sure, I suppose I now have one-point of failure as opposed to three, with a phone, wallet and keys. But I figure I'm more prone to forget something if I have to remember to bring 3 things, as opposed to just my phone. And, forgetting things is a bigger risk and more common occurrence than losing or having my phone stolen or broken. If I work out the probabilities and the inconvenience factor of each outcome, carrying everything in my phone works for me. Clearly, it doesn't work for others.

Okay, you have convinced me of the foolishness of my ways. I've ordered a RFID Tesla keycard embedded in a watch strap.View attachment 891920
It is ALWAYS good to have a backup plan. In many things in life.

• Funny
My wallet is thin - has my license, AAA card, a few credit cards, and my key card (Tesla/Rivian). I surf most mornings and this is the only way you can lock the car securely and be in the water. Turn off bluetooth and take key card with you. I'm glad this option is available compared to many other cars with fancy key FOBs.

Last edited:
  • Informative