Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded MCU1 to MCU2 - Are you experiencing New Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded to MCU2 recently and now I am experiencing a whole new round of issues. Here is my list; What are your problems?

• WiFi: Sensitivity was poor with MCU1, is worse with MCU2 (upgrade)
  • Cellular Coverage: If a new drive starts in a 3G area, it won't switch to LTE when driving into an LTE area. It's unclear what happens when you start in an LTE area and drive into a 3G area.
  • When in a 3G area, when the drive started in 3G, voice commands rarely work, loading errors on streaming?
  • Bloothtooth doesn't always automatically connect as it did with the MCU1. Often times, you have to manually connect.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Today I took a drive and decided to just let it stay on 3G for the duration and see what happens. Interestingly, after being well into LTE coverage, it finally switched about 30 minutes, maybe more. The MCU1 would switch between 3G, and LTE much more quickly.

With the MCU1 everything worked equally bad whether or not you were on 3G or LTE. LOL

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The 3G area and starting the drive in 3G coverage is hard if not impossible to duplicate unless you are in a 3G area. Most of the metro areas are well covered. But, out in the rural areas, not so much.
Good point. I actually am in a rural area, sometimes 3G, sometimes LTE, and in last week traveled 900 miles down the coast. Still no problems with my cellular. Works even better and farther than before the update.

Good point. I actually am in a rural area, sometimes 3G, sometimes LTE, and in last week traveled 900 miles down the coast. Still no problems with my cellular. Works even better and farther than before the update.

Thanks, this is very helpful. What software version do you have? Mine is 2020.44. Maybe it's the software version. This is the version that was installed when I picked up my car after the MCU2 upgrade was installed.

Today, I drove about 10 miles into an LTE area to pick up breakfast. About halfway back, it FINALLY switched to LTE. So maybe it's working and just takes a lot longer to switch than my old MCU1 did.

• Helpful
Thanks, this is very helpful. What software version do you have? Mine is 2020.44. Maybe it's the software version. This is the version that was installed when I picked up my car after the MCU2 upgrade was installed.

Today, I drove about 10 miles into an LTE area to pick up breakfast. About halfway back, it FINALLY switched to LTE. So maybe it's working and just takes a lot longer to switch than my old HW2/MCU1 did.

Same version 2020.44 on that car I am referring to. Although I suppose you could have an issue with a software installation, that is rare and I doubt it. I would focus (as a couple other people said) about a possible connection issue during the update. Coincidentally, when mine was upgraded, I immediately experienced poor cellular connection. I had to take it back and they noticed a poor connection on the cellular cable. After it was fixed (20 minutes), I have super great connection and as I said, signals are far better than when I was on HW2. At home, I get 3 bars on same cellular network whereas I only got 1 bar before. Not that I care what the signal strength is in the driveway because obviously I am on wifi when in the garage. Just giving a comparison of before and after. Same result at son's home which is remote. Better signal strength, so something must be better about HW3 / MCU2.

Also, I now notice that switching between wifi and cellular is almost immediate when shifting into park or drive (and it switches from signal types (lte. 3G, etc, is very fast on the road). Now maybe that was due to a software update somewhere along the line and I didn't notice when it got better, or maybe due to the HW3 upgrade. Not sure when, so maybe someone else has noticed.

Same version 2020.44 on that car I am referring to. Although I suppose you could have an issue with a software installation, that is rare and I doubt it. I would focus (as a couple other people said) about a possible connection issue during the update. Coincidentally, when mine was upgraded, I immediately experienced poor cellular connection. I had to take it back and they noticed a poor connection on the cellular cable. After it was fixed (20 minutes), I have super great connection and as I said, signals are far better than when I was on HW2. At home, I get 3 bars on same cellular network whereas I only got 1 bar before. Not that I care what the signal strength is in the driveway because obviously I am on wifi when in the garage. Just giving a comparison of before and after. Same result at son's home which is remote. Better signal strength, so something must be better about HW3 / MCU2.

Also, I now notice that switching between wifi and cellular is almost immediate when shifting into park or drive (and it switches from signal types (lte. 3G, etc, is very fast on the road). Now maybe that was due to a software update somewhere along the line and I didn't notice when it got better, or maybe due to the HW3 upgrade. Not sure when, so maybe someone else has noticed.

Wow, thanks. I am on the same software they installed during the upgrade. I don't know that my cellular connection is poor, it just won't switch between 3G & LTE. 3G connections are terrible. I have regular streaming issues, outgoing text messaging, and voice commands are problematic. I believe all of these could relate to faulty cellular connections. 3G signal levels often show full strength when I know that is not possible based on my familiarity with the area.

• Helpful
Wow, thanks. I am on the same software they installed during the upgrade. I don't know that my cellular connection is poor, it just won't switch between 3G & LTE. 3G connections are terrible. I have regular streaming issues, outgoing text messaging, and voice commands are problematic. I believe all of these could relate to faulty cellular connections. 3G signal levels often show full strength when I know that is not possible based on my familiarity with the area.
yes yes, the same that I experienced when I had a bad wire connection with the cellular; terrible streaming, voice commands not always working, but also map not updating often as I drive, so yes, it was due to the bad physical connection to the unit from the antenna (in my case). However I was not seeing good signal (1 bar or sometimes none). It sounds strange that you would be seeing full strength signal levels when you think you shouldn't based on your area. I've not heard of situations where it falsely shows high signal levels,but I suppose anything is possible.

I have none of the issues, working great. :) It switches between 3G, LTE and Wifi really quickly.

I'm almost always listening to TuneIn or Spotify, as I have no radio. Car starts from home wifi, with music already playing when I open the car door. Then when I leave the house, it switches to 3G as my area has bad LTE coverage. A few kilometers later it finds LTE and switches again. All these switches go so smoothly that music does not cut..

I have none of the issues, working great. :) It switches between 3G, LTE and Wifi really quickly.

I'm almost always listening to TuneIn or Spotify, as I have no radio. Car starts from home wifi, with music already playing when I open the car door. Then when I leave the house, it switches to 3G as my area has bad LTE coverage. A few kilometers later it finds LTE and switches again. All these switches go so smoothly that music does not cut..
yup, sounds like our experience since I am somewhat remote to a few different cell towers. In fact, on a few occasions in the past, we would not get cell coverage at the house, but they day after our update to HW3 / MCU2, we get better cell coverage here. And like you say, as we drive closer to the towers, the switch is instant.

I am embarrassed to say I just noticed a problem with my MCU2 upgrade. Tesla doubled my odometer read... Luckily for me I have TeslaFi and can pinpoint the exact time it happened. Now to fight with them to roll back my mileage.

Attachments

• odometer.png
    odometer.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 362