Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*Upgraded - No Brainer 4" drop-in speaker upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted share and UPDATE the community on the process on my 5.25 speaker in the car; There are a few threads on this upgrading your speakers or putting 5.25 speakers in the fronts and rears; This is possible but no way to attain the OEM factory look.

I will make this short and sweet before anyone does this and researches many hours like I did on these threads; I wanted to make clear how on how our roadsters and the 5.25" (5" 1/4) speaker size can or cannot be installed.

The Fronts
- There is no way to drop them in without cutting or modifying the existing width of the hole; This requires the leather to be removed, and or required the dash leather to be stripped prior to work. The only way this is really achievable or makes sense if you are re-doing your front dash; Which is why in the fronts it's just best to retain the 4" speakers with new ones.

I decided not to touch the front dash and will just drop in new 4" speakers.

Front Speaker adaptor rings 4" to 5-1/4"

188328d1342665749-fs-elise-exige-dash-panel-5-1-4-speaker-adapter-rings-installed-img_6547-jpg.147364

Someone did a speaker drop in without the rings in the front but it sticks up a tiny bit obstructing the dash view.

No Brainer 4" drop-in speaker upgrade phenomenon

The Rears - This is possible; however all the other 5.25" speakers I have seen in other threads do not look OEM; I found a 3d printer guy local in the area that is going to work with me to re-create the OEM speaker mounts and see how we can retain the OEM look while upgrading to 5.25" speakers and going to show you how it's done.

IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0496 (1).JPG
ring.jpg

If you turn the 5.25" speaker upside down it aligns absolutely perfect to drop in the OEM speaker mounts so with a little work this can be achievable such as shaving down the metal hinges on the speakers; We are going to 3d print and cut out the diameter all the way up to where the red circle is; this will allow the speaker to drop right in the speaker mount retaining factory OEM look.

The speaker covers / grills on any 5.25" speakers are too big; they will touch or hit the back of your seat if pulled all the way back; you can simply attach your OEM 4" speaker cover / grill over the 5.25" speaker and will look exactly as nothing changed in your vehicle.

If achieved properly we will then have a simple way to upgrade the 4" speakers in the rears to 5.25" for any roadster with ease.

Keep you posted!

Last edited:
The Fronts - There is no way to drop them in without cutting or modifying the existing width of the hole; This requires the leather to be removed, and or required the dash leather to be stripped prior to work. The only way this is really achievable or makes sense if you are re-doing your front dash; Which is why in the fronts it's just best to retain the 4" speakers with new ones.

Hmmm... I was able to install 5.25" speakers in the front without cutting or changing the width of the hole. I had to use some speaker rings that I custom printed myself, as you know. Lots of others have done the same thing. I didn't have to drill any holes in the dash as the speaker rings use the existing screw holes. I could put the OEM 4" speakers back in and nobody would ever know the difference.

I had trouble with the speakers in the back however. I couldn't figure out an easy way to mount larger ones in the back so I left the 4" speakers there.

Hmmm... I was able to install 5.25" speakers in the front without cutting or changing the width of the hole. I had to use some speaker rings that I custom printed myself, as you know. Lots of others have done the same thing. I didn't have to drill any holes in the dash as the speaker rings use the existing screw holes. I could put the OEM 4" speakers back in and nobody would ever know the difference.

I had trouble with the speakers in the back however. I couldn't figure out an easy way to mount larger ones in the back so I left the 4" speakers there.

Getting closer.

Unfortunately 5.25" speakers do not fit in the fronts; at least Focal speakers do not; the frame / chassis around the speaker are to big in diameter in which requires the dash to be shaved and bigger to accommodate; I don't see how other 5.25 speakers are going to fit either without making the diameter bigger with or without the 3d printed rings.

The leather doesn't have to be removed or come off prior to shaving I don't know why I said that in my first post; I guess I used a lotus as a example img.

I have a sport 2.5 maybe the speaker diameter dash is different; from my image below, the diameter of the hole for a 5.25" speaker would have to be shaven / wider then the screw hole mount / inserts.

I have no idea but really don't feel like messing around with it so just going to drop the
Focal ES 100K K2 Power Series 4" component speaker system at Crutchfield

IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MCroadster
Just installed 5-1/4" speakers in the rear. I removed the OEM 4" adapter ring and installed a new (EBay) 5-1/4" ring. The OEM one is slightly smaller dia than the base that it is mounted on, and the new one is slightly larger... about 1/4" all around. I bought some Rockford Fosgate 2 way speakers, and they drop right in. I'll try and take some pix and post them later.