TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Upgraded Software to 40.50.1 - Voice command not working

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by SFO_marco, Dec 24, 2019.

1. SFO_marco

SFO_marco New Member

Just upgraded the software to 2019.40.50.1. Only issue so far is that the voice commands does not work. I press the microphone button, and I see the mic icon, but nothing I say gets recognized. Tried hard reboot three times and no luck. Everyone once in a while it will correctly display what I just asked (like call .....") but then it does not follow through.

2. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

Try re-pairing your phone.

under music expand page full height to show phones.

Add phone... that will show existing phones. Delete it and delete off your phone. Then add again.

3. Hendrenj

Hendrenj New Member

I have the same problem, I tried repairing the phone and restarting the Tesla with the two steering wheel buttons and the microphone is still not working.

4. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Member

Same here. After downloading the update on my Model X, Viola voice command died.

5. RandomX

RandomX Member

Same here.

6. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

7. Joshker

Joshker Member

Yup, works very occasionally and I did the restart thing on both of our cars

8. DC+

DC+ New Member

My understanding of 'how it works' for the voice commands: Your cell phone isn't in any path involving voice-to-text. I, too, am observing the 40.50.1 regression on voice commands, and it works just as poorly whether my phone is BlueTooth paired to the car or not.

• Like x 1
  9. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

Maybe voice goes out to Tesla for decoding and back? Could be overloaded due to so many people using it tonight.

10. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

I had the same problem in my Model 3 for the first few drives / hours after the update. Then ~5 hours after the update it started hearing voice commands normally again. No idea why. Just normal Tesla buggery, I assume.

11. EVinAZ

EVinAZ Member

Seems to be working well now after a rough start. Starting to smell like server overload and either people have given up or Tesla has provisioned more hardware. Either way, at east for me, it is working as advertised.

12. Solidred

Solidred Member

I lost my heated seats through the app.

13. JARVIS ARC

JARVIS ARC Member

I had the same problem yesterday. Only works occasionally. Will see how it goes today

14. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Voice command? I’ve already forgotten that my Tesla has a voice command function. I had to scream really loud to get it work.

15. Marcia L

Marcia L Member

Mine is not working, just tried it today after download last night. Messed up the old commands too, like "Navigate to..." I would say "Navigate to such-and-such supercharger" and it would type "Supercharged" over and over, would not get it right.

16. sced06

sced06 Member

I was so excited but this is horrible. Didn't Tesla test this first??? When I try to send a text it freezes the card 9 out of 10 times. When I get it to actually dictate a message, it says tap to send but it doesn't send it just erases and "listens" again. And the other voice commands work perfectly some times but don't work at all most of the time. I want to go back until they get this working because now the Navigate voice commands aren't working every time and they used to be perfect.

17. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The voice recognition is still poor - often not picking up anything.

For voice-to-text, got stuck at "listening..." several times.

Not sure if this helped - but I was able to get it to work a little better by talking faster - and not having any long pauses between words.

Also need to have a list of common voice commands. Tried some obvious things - and what it thought I said didn't match the command it executed (such as asking for one thing - and then having it change the fan setting instead).

18. Mpglaw1

Mpglaw1 Member

At least I feel better it isn’t just me. Not only are my voice commands not working but my car isn’t picking up stop signs or signals. I have been playing with it all day. Just took delivery this week and it’s is my first update and I figured I was doing something wrong. Hopefully it will work itself out shortly.

19. Sirokejejian

Sirokejejian New Member

I upgraded yesterday and at the first voice commands only works for the map, then i restarted the car again same issue but when i started driving i tried again it works for a while then same commands that worked again stopped to work and each command was translated as map location not a function command.

20. Marcia L

Marcia L Member

My local ranger resent the update to me which I installed today. Tested and it is worse than before, which was bad enough. Now no voice commands work.