Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Software to 40.50.1 - Voice command not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What voice commands? Music, navigation, car functions, nothing seems to work since the update.

2020 long range, 1 week old, absolutely love the vehicle but it’s like baby yoda, there is incredible potential but it isn’t showing me everything yet.

Along with most dictation commands not working with update 40.50.1 (including “bug report“ of all things!), there is a major problem with the Messages system as well. Often, when I press the scroll wheel to reply to a message and then dismiss the Messages system after dictation fails to work, the music no longer plays in the car. No matter what I do, the audio is dead. I have to reboot the computer in order to get the audio back!

Prior to updating software to 2019.40.50 everything worked perfectly in the 2019 Model X. Now in addition to voice commands going on holiday, last night tried to demonstrate the X-Mas Easter Egg show and guess what ? Yep, that no longer works either. Makes one wonder what else has been corrupted by that update.

Very buggy. When I say "Turn on rear camera", I get 'Command not recognized'. When I say "rear camera on", it works and the Rear Camera displays as intended.
I received a long text message from Wine Library about a new 'offer' and I was impressed with the clarity and correctness of the verbal translation and delivery.

Its going to take some time.....

X75 (9/18 build)

Just installed 40.50.7 on my S. Found out that you MUST remove the FOB from the USB port -- then reset the vehicle for the voice commands to return/work. I couldn't get any commands to work -- even old ones -- then I rebooted without the FOB in and everything worked, including the new commands in the original release notes in 40.50.1

I had to remove the FOB from my X as well. None of the "new" voice commands worked prior to my removing the TeslaCam FOB and rebooting the vehicle. Those having problems with the release, give that a try.

Works intermittently. Some commands it responds "not available yet" works sometimes on "set temperature". Seem to work better
if I vary my voice pitch. Dome light works both on and off. Glove compartment open does not recognize. Sometimes no response at all.
Very Beta!!

2019 June Raven X with 40.50.7 and I also have experienced many bugs with the text messaging but most all voice commands are working for me. HOWEVER, I get random speed changes on cruise or NoA mostly at intersecting over/under passes where there is a different speed posted for the different route than the one I am traveling. Drives me nuts! Occasionally, I get a phantom BRAKE action for no apparent reason, one almost threw me through the front windshield!!! So, they rushed out a buggy update to give us all a Christmas bonus that you kinda have to appreciate that. They will work out the bugs sooner or later. I hope... .

November 2019 X 40.50.7 experiencing some of the voice commands after a reboot except initiating texts. That works one out of five or six times. Can answer texts and have them read to me, and do a lot of the other commands. Getting phantom braking underpasses while NOA. It does not seem to recognize the speed changes on the roadways when in NOA. Hope they get it worked out.

I was working with tech support on another problem, and mentioned that about 90% of the time, Voice Command doesn't work. He said it's a known firmware problem, and they are working on an update. No time frame. At least I know it isn't just my car. I thought the mic was toast.

I was working with tech support on another problem, and mentioned that about 90% of the time, Voice Command doesn't work. He said it's a known firmware problem, and they are working on an update. No time frame. At least I know it isn't just my car. I thought the mic was toast.

Same problem still exists on our 2019 Model X, regardless of re-booting several times. Tech support stated same to me. Said Voice Command problems are firmware related and to expect an update. Didn't say when ??? So we continue to wait ever hopeful voice commands will at some point return...

2019 June Raven X with 40.50.7 and I also have experienced many bugs with the text messaging but most all voice commands are working for me. HOWEVER, I get random speed changes on cruise or NoA mostly at intersecting over/under passes where there is a different speed posted for the different route than the one I am traveling. Drives me nuts! Occasionally, I get a phantom BRAKE action for no apparent reason, one almost threw me through the front windshield!!! So, they rushed out a buggy update to give us all a Christmas bonus that you kinda have to appreciate that. They will work out the bugs sooner or later. I hope... .
I have an August Raven X and since the Xmas software update about 20% of voice command attempts are recognized and virtually none are implemented. I also am experiencing scary phantom brake action and speed changes probably with interaction from speed limits on adjacent roads.

Does anyone have an update on when to expect the next firmware update. The local service rep. Said the tech team had been working on it.

My voice command on my Raven X is USELESS since the update as well

There was a short period where it was AMAZING, like it would play the song I would ask it play immediately like Alexa does, without merely putting up a list of suggesions you then have to select.

Then it just went REALLY bad and not fit for use. I put addresses in by hand now, I just don't trust it.

It's good to read it's not jsut me and they're working on a fix. I had an software update last night but it hasn't fixed anything at all.

Reactions: GoCanes