Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

upgraded sound system issues >

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do need to compare like to like. Put a reference song on a USB stick, and then compare when you get to the service center with Dolby off and everything at 0 in the EQ. If it sounds much worse something is wrong, probably with the amplifier. Both of my cars have the upgraded sound and it's excellent, if not as bass heavy as some people like.

This is interesting, because the 2017 P100DL I had for a weekend had the upgraded sound package, and it didn’t sound great. The 2014 P85 I just bought also has the package and sounds MUCH better.

I wish there were some owners could analyze the amp/speakers of both a new 2017 and a 2014/2015. Willing to bet there is a difference. Has anyone done this perhaps during an upgrade to a 3rd party audio system?

I have a P100DL with the upgraded stereo. It sounds pretty good to me although when I isolate the back speakers it does sound tinny. In othe cars with high-end stereos I have always seemed to have the subwoofer towards the rear of the car. Whereas in my Tesla it seems as though all the bass response is coming from front. Not a huge issue for me since I'm usually the only one in the car. But I would have expected a more balanced soundstage.

A lot of the times when I bring my P85+ in at the SC they are very suprised by my car's "basic" sound system. I had a loaner with the upgraded sound system a few months ago and was not impressed at all by the upgraded sound system. To me that upgraded sound system sounded louder and more powerful but definitely not better that my car's. Also in my car if you put everything in the equalizer at zero the audio system sounds really good but with the upgraded one I had to play extensively with the equalizer to have an "ok" sound.

Louder is not always better...

A lot of the times when I bring my P85+ in at the SC they are very suprised by my car's "basic" sound system. I had a loaner with the upgraded sound system a few months ago and was not impressed at all by the upgraded sound system. To me that upgraded sound system sounded louder and more powerful but definitely not better that my car's. Also in my car if you put everything in the equalizer at zero the audio system sounds really good but with the upgraded one I had to play extensively with the equalizer to have an "ok" sound.

Louder is not always better...

Again lends to the theory that Tesla did some bait and switch on the premium sound somewhere around 2015 onwards. Seems like all older models have a much better system.

FWIW, I'm totally happy with the base sound system on my 2016 MS. I'm typically pretty picky about my sound systems. I almost always add an external amp and sub to most of my vehicles. While it probably doesn't beat the premium sound of my Challenger SRT 392, the entire lower level of the trunk isn't full of subs and amps either. I listen to the Slacker radio pretty much exclusively and have no complaints.