Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded SR Partial Audio to Full Premium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of just wiring the rear shelf speakers, no sub. Planing to tap into rear door speakers at ICE -> wiring to a basic amp like this one: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-74925-Boss-CE102.html -> tap into shelf speakers. Should be very cheap, with minimal trim removal. Good plan?
Personally I recommend the sub, taking the trunk trim apart is easy as pie. That being said, if you aren't into hip hop like me it make not be as important. Rear speakers are for sure a good upgrade.

I found tapping the ICE nearly impossible, even with posi taps so I gave up and tapped into the B pillar area where the wires go out to the rear doors. However if you could get at the ICE it would be pretty minimal trim removal for your setup.

Passenger side sill trims, rear seat, and passenger side of the rear seat side bolster. Also the passenger side kick panel trims. All those are easy except the seat bolster one, which is a pain.

Also the rear seat has enough room under it you could probably find a home for that tiny amp easily. I wouldn't be too worried about heat with such a small load on it. Mounting in the trunk like I did is probably better but at that point might as well throw the factory sub in.

Reactions: ciuvak
Personally I recommend the sub, taking the trunk trim apart is easy as pie. That being said, if you aren't into hip hop like me it make not be as important. Rear speakers are for sure a good upgrade.
I found tapping the ICE nearly impossible, even with posi taps so I gave up and tapped into the B pillar area where the wires go out to the rear doors. However if you could get at the ICE it would be pretty minimal trim removal for your setup.
Passenger side sill trims, rear seat, and passenger side of the rear seat side bolster. Also the passenger side kick panel trims. All those are easy except the seat bolster one, which is a pain.
Also the rear seat has enough room under it you could probably find a home for that tiny amp easily. I wouldn't be too worried about heat with such a small load on it. Mounting in the trunk like I did is probably better but at that point might as well throw the factory sub in.
Thanks. Don't really need the subwoofer for this particular car.
In regards to the B pillar: I know where the wires for the right side rear door speaker are, but for the left side I was thinking that it will be easier to tap at ICE, just for that left speaker, so I don't have to bring these from the left B pillar location. Does that make sense?

Thanks. Don't really need the subwoofer for this particular car.
In regards to the B pillar: I know where the wires for the right side rear door speaker are, but for the left side I was thinking that it will be easier to tap at ICE, just for that left speaker, so I don't have to bring these from the left B pillar location. Does that make sense?
Honestly the ICE was way harder for me than just opening up the 2 extra pieces of trim you'd have to open to get at the driver side B-pillar. Your mileage will vary, but with my fat hands I just couldn't get the connector out of the computer in such tight quarters, and trying to tap it with the connector still attached was a non-starter. Good luck with your build!

Yup, I think this is at best a hack workaround. You really need another small amp of some kind to get the best experience. That said, I wish I'd known about this before my install, since it'd be nice to have pigtail harnesses instead of cutting and tapping directly into my OEM wires (even if they are useless in the SR+ model).

I plan to use this harness as it makes the install neat and tidy but piggy back off of it

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I just finished the install with a factory sub and the Picasso amp. I've attached a screenshot from the video I'm making about it. For switched power don't bother wasting your time if using direct level inputs. If you have a line convertor and are using the low level RCA inputs then you will need to wire up the remote turn on. The remote on wire is attached to the wire harness for the remote bass control knob. It's a tiny white wire about 6 inches long, mine was labeled "remote". Also don't waste your time looking on eBay, they all want above OEM prices. My SC only charged me $295 CAD which is worth around $200 USD. The only thing is some service centers wouldn't sell me it so I had to shop around. Make sure you buy an extra 10mm nut too. I didn't do this and luckily had one in my parts bin that fit. The other nut and bolt you can harvest from the plastic spacer the SR+ has instead of the sub.

View attachment 568892

Did you do all 6 speakers and the sub? How did u get a $295 quote for the sub? I eas quoted $700 by SC in mississauga?

Did you do all 6 speakers and the sub? How did u get a $295 quote for the sub? I eas quoted $700 by SC in mississauga?
I ended up skipping the tweeters since I don't really like highs and it is a pain to get at the passenger side one. So 4 speakers and a sub. Be sure they aren't quoting you with the amplifier, the part number for just the sub can be found in my write up here: Model 3 SR+ Premium Sound System Upgrade Video

Reactions: badiban and Chetanh
Based on the TeslaOffer harness and using the Alpine amp... this is the wiring diagram I setup... hopefully I did this right.

I first looked at the wires that were coming out of the Teslaoffer plug harness from the ICE and matched that with the diagram I found of the audio out wires from the stock SR+ harness. Weird thing is that the Teslaoffer harness had all the black striped wires as positive except the Left Rear door.

I then exposed those wires from the black covering on the TeslaOffer harness before they went into the black box that splits off into the other speaker connections.

I then cut those wires and spliced in the Alpine amp. Note that the Alpine amp wires...the black striped wires are negative.

I mounted the Amp under the center console in the large gap between the cover panels. this allowed me to only have to extend the speaker wires of the harness and connect to the Amp input wires. The output wires were long enough to run under the carpet and connect back into the harness.

I ran the power under the floor carpet in the front passenger and down the passenger side door sill panels and connected to the Penthouse.

Couple questions I have for the experts on here:
1. how do I know my amp is working? there's not a light that turns on so I dont know. It sounds good but, and better than without the amp but wasn't sure.
2. how do I know if my ground is good? I found a bolt that was bolted into the body of the car on the console and used that.
3. is my power line running next to my speaker wires bad? I couldn't think of another way to avoid it.
4. my amp is mounted under the console in the gap between the panels: Will this be a heat problem? I saw other put it under the seat bolster...so I figured this would be the same.
SR+wiringdiagram.jpg

the HS site shows $80 "activation with harness 6 speakers" wouldn't that need an AMP? or somehow its integrated into the OEM system? or is there a way to use the HS and just add a powered sub that can go under trunk cavity? thanks

the HS site shows $80 "activation with harness 6 speakers" wouldn't that need an AMP? or somehow its integrated into the OEM system? or is there a way to use the HS and just add a powered sub that can go under trunk cavity? thanks

$80 harness connects to stock amp. $699 for harness, DSP, and subwoofer in stock cavity location

You could use the harness and piggy back it to your own amp and subwoofer as per Supershanefx above.

Last edited: