Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first I wanna say I appreciate the post, but looking at your cost breakdown is good for new buyers to see. If you think you might want bigger brakes later the P3D+ is a better value than the P3D- because just the brakes can cost you $4K and then you don't get the suspension upgrade.

So first I wanna say I appreciate the post, but looking at your cost breakdown is good for new buyers to see. If you think you might want bigger brakes later the P3D+ is a better value than the P3D- because just the brakes can cost you $4K and then you don't get the suspension upgrade.

Of course the P3d+ pkg is the better value, but this is for people who already have a non-performance car who is considering upgrading their brakes. I did this cause I dont like the 20 inch performance wheels and would have had to upgrade the wheels and tires anyway even if I had the performance pkg. I also did lowering springs for 500 plus plus 500 for install.

I overpaid for these brakes because when I did this I had no guidance and nobody on this board had done this swap before(nobody on internet period that I could find)..

Now you can buy new front/rear performance brake kits for 2400 on eBay so not too bad considering Brembo front only BBK cost 3000-5000. To do brakes I'd say an hour per corner for install cost. So you could do this upgrade for 3K now.

mine

Attachments

• IMG_6473.JPG
    IMG_6473.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 520
OP starts a thread about upgrading to performance brakes but then purposely leaves out the most important part....cost.

What was the point of creating this thread then? Just to brag that you could do it and rub it in the faces of the people who were wrong? Or was it to genuinely help others like you claimed?
Not sure if you're trying to be funny or if you're just being a jerk. I think the point of the OP is that there's a relatively simple solution for people who want to upgrade their front and rear brakes, specifically a separate wiring harness is necessary for proper installation.

Reactions: dww12 and LoL Rick
any place does installs on springs/coilovers, wheels, antiroll bars should be able to do it...I am sure the Tesla SC could do it but they won't...they refused to install my brakes as they didnt directly sell them...they will make any excuse not to do any work that isn't the "norm".

I used 503 Motoring in Beaverton OR and they do a great job...they have done springs and other mods on 2 dozen model 3's the GM said.

But in Seattle area there has to be many shops that could do a brake job...its fairly simple....it will prob be a hr of labor per corner.

just wow...point is not about cost, its about knowing about the harness so you don't get stuck like I did and throwing codes...dang...but to be clear, the cost is steep...I paid 1800 for fronts, 1300 for rears...install was 600...jumper harnesses were 200...you happy now???....:)

I am sure most wouldn't consider this due to cost...I was going to do Brembo's for fronts but thought it would look odd having Brembo's up front and Tesla performance for rears...and what's odd is this, when I looked for rear upgrade BBK's I found nothing!...many companies sell the fronts but I couldn't find a single vendor that sold the rear brake upgrade.
Thanks! $3900 is not that bad tbh.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny or if you're just being a jerk. I think the point of the OP is that there's a relatively simple solution for people who want to upgrade their front and rear brakes, specifically a separate wiring harness is necessary for proper installation.
I asked him how much it costs and he ignores my question. Knowing the cost of something is too much to ask for?

any place does installs on springs/coilovers, wheels, antiroll bars should be able to do it...I am sure the Tesla SC could do it but they won't...they refused to install my brakes as they didnt directly sell them...they will make any excuse not to do any work that isn't the "norm".

I used 503 Motoring in Beaverton OR and they do a great job...they have done springs and other mods on 2 dozen model 3's the GM said.

But in Seattle area there has to be many shops that could do a brake job...its fairly simple....it will prob be a hr of labor per corner.

Ok thank you. Hmm, that is tempting. Yeah I feel like it would not be too complicated. Did you have to get the jumper harnesses for each brake?

And do you know if it voids the entire warranty, or just the brake part?

You've had no issues, with it since installing?

1565D140-B6D6-4231-8B7E-EC1B555D0F17.jpeg
14809105-C7E1-4DFC-B960-B4550F8D316A.jpeg
8DF687B5-7D63-4D77-96F6-0D881DA1AAD4.jpeg
767E8256-460D-4BE4-8D0A-8D9D6EF0731E.jpeg
21FB9300-FCF9-4E44-88C5-F1DEC3A20C52.jpeg
8C233B2D-2FB6-4757-979A-2A955B901D09.jpeg
Ok thank you. Hmm, that is tempting. Yeah I feel like it would not be too complicated. Did you have to get the jumper harnesses for each brake?

And do you know if it voids the entire warranty, or just the brake part?

You've had no issues, with it since installing?

Hello all
Here the kit I buy from a guy on the forum here , very gentle person and seem to be honest guys :)
I buy my rear brake from a salvage car , supposed to be in good shape accept for a couple ding here and there ... but I received with a broken connector, and a broken motor casing :(
Hopefully I found one rapidly but cost me 125$ us to get it but short story after repair à everything was ok !!!

Here my install of the rear performance brake
Plus bonus picture of my model 3 AWD

ERIC

Attachments

• 01BE0076-4CF0-4F60-86F4-46EF3BFA3EE1.jpeg
    01BE0076-4CF0-4F60-86F4-46EF3BFA3EE1.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 458
Thread started for people interested in upgrading their non-performance brakes to performance brakes. Yes it is possible. I replaced the fronts without issues several months ago but had to remove the rears as it was throwing codes.

When I asked around and even made a post on TMC, not a single person had upgraded their rear brakes using a BBK or the performance brakes so I was in uncharted territory. The Tesla mobile repair guy said it couldn't be done. He was wrong!!!

After doing some research, I learned you had to have jumper cables to make this work. I got the rears installed today and they work great. It though some error lights at first but installers cycled the car over(turned on and off) a few times and then the error lights went away.

First os all, the brake upgrade is for aesthetics only. unless you track, it won't make any difference for street stopping power. Matter of fact, performance pads seem to squeal abit.

And this is a very expensive upgrade but it can be done!

LqBHm5.jpg

iVr7Km.jpg

Ok, odd question. If I buy used Model 3 performance rear brake calipers, will they work with the non performance rotors? My long term plan is to upgrade the rotors (perhaps Mountain Pass). Like you Mac, I didn't love the 19s and 20s that Tesla offers, so waited to do my own upgrade. Now that I have the new wheels they are begging for red calipers. I just bought new wheels and they are begging for red brake calipers. I was thinking of painting the front ones and replacing the back with used Model 3 performance as a medium term fix until I'm ready for another big hit to upgrade the rotors. Here's the new wheels.
New Oz wheel.jpg