Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm looking into the different options for a brake upgrade on my 2020 Model 3 Long Range Non performance... I have not found this info yet but would like to know what is the weight difference between the P3D and base model for both front and rear callipers? The only thing I found so far is that the front P3D callipers are 9.6 Lbs each, just callipers no pads. I don't know any of the other ones.

Anybody knows the real numbers? Thanks !

Hello, I'm looking into the different options for a brake upgrade on my 2020 Model 3 Long Range Non performance... I have not found this info yet but would like to know what is the weight difference between the P3D and base model for both front and rear callipers? The only thing I found so far is that the front P3D callipers are 9.6 Lbs each, just callipers no pads. I don't know any of the other ones.

Anybody knows the real numbers? Thanks !
I am buying some performance brakes next week from Tesla. Only the fronts at this time, but I can weigh the various parts for you. I want to retain the ability to run stock 18's (even though I have aftermarket rims at the moment), so I am just leaving the rears stock and painting the caliper. The rotor size is the same for the performance rear rotor anyhow, only the front base rotor is hilariously small. Judging by looks alone there is a SIGNIFICANT size difference between stock and performance front brakes, when I get the parts I will throw it on a scale for you, but I'd expect at least 60-70% heavier than stock for most components.

I am buying some performance brakes next week from Tesla. Only the fronts at this time, but I can weigh the various parts for you. I want to retain the ability to run stock 18's (even though I have aftermarket rims at the moment), so I am just leaving the rears stock and painting the caliper. The rotor size is the same for the performance rear rotor anyhow, only the front base rotor is hilariously small. Judging by looks alone there is a SIGNIFICANT size difference between stock and performance front brakes, when I get the parts I will throw it on a scale for you, but I'd expect at least 60-70% heavier than stock for most components.

You would be surprised. Performance front rotors are 3lbs lighter each. I am fairly certain the calipers will be within 1-2lbs of each other.

Thanks.. looking forward to see what the difference is

One has been around for a long time with track record of winning at all level of Motorsports. And is OE on many vehicles from mainstream to hyper cars. The other, not so much. o_O It would be hard for most consumers to pay similar price for products coming from two different brands with vastly different history and market recognitions.

While that may be the case, one has to give Rotora credit for providing a complete 4 wheel kit & "retaining" the rear EPB.

You would be surprised. Performance front rotors are 3lbs lighter each. I am fairly certain the calipers will be within 1-2lbs of each other.
Wow, they are lighter than the base brakes? I mean they are bimetal two piece vs solid steel, but damn. I know even if there was a weight gain it is 100% worth it to me. Even with the relatively light SR+ (about 3500 pounds), the front base brakes get hot way too fast and you're lucky to last a lap before your pedal is mushy.

If you didn't purchase yet, think again. For the street both are ok. For the track both are ridiculously inadequate. No pads going to fix boiling fluid. And stock fluid is not significantly worse than SRF. Maybe it keeps like 25% longer. You need much larger rotors with better ventilation for that weight and power.

If you didn't purchase yet, think again. For the street both are ok. For the track both are ridiculously inadequate. No pads going to fix boiling fluid. And stock fluid is not significantly worse than SRF. Maybe it keeps like 25% longer. You need much larger rotors with better ventilation for that weight and power.
Yeah agreed that both are kind of inadequate, even for street use I find the base model has awful brake feel and responsiveness. Thankfully in street driving the brakes are rarely used except for a bit in winter or panic stops.

Agreed the "best" solution is some bigger aftermarket rotors, ideally around 380mm would be the ballpark I'd look in for an ideal build. However I don't have a performance model, it's a lowly SR+ with far less power and also much less mass (around 600lbs lighter). The cost of OEM performance front brakes is about $1800 USD for pads, rotors, calipers, dust shields, and bolts. The cost for most big brake setups is around $4500-$6000 for what I have seen. Then I also need new rims since I only have 18's which won't clear a 380mm rotor setup, so add a couple grand more in costs there. If I had a Performance model I could justify it, but I don't think the SR+ has the oomph for it to be worth it. I'd rather put that money into actually buying a dual motor car first. For this setup I'm looking for "relatively affordable" and still getting better results on the track than the front rotors glowing red hot after a few laps.

Reactions: Mash
Right, I forgot that calipers from Tesla are quite cheap. And you're right, for SR+ you have much less weight and power, so it might work. Change pads to high temp, fluid to rbf660, remove dust shields, put some fiberglass heat protection tube on abs sensor cable. You still then can add some air scoops if that won't be enough, but it will be much better anyway.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Right, I forgot that calipers from Tesla are quite cheap. And you're right, for SR+ you have much less weight and power, so it might work. Change pads to high temp, fluid to rbf660, remove dust shields, put some fiberglass heat protection tube on abs sensor cable. You still then can add some air scoops if that won't be enough, but it will be much better anyway.
Yeah getting parts from Tesla is like pulling your own teeth out with pliers, but once you finally do get some service the parts are refreshingly cheap compared to an OEM such as Mercedes or even lower end like Ford.

My plans after the OEM performance brakes are better pads (first on the priority list), new fluid, new brake hoses, and modifying the dust shield to have a hole for an air pipe which I will run to some air scoops at the front.

Like I said the goal isn't perfection, but rather just something moderately acceptable (which on the track the stock setup is far from).

Reactions: Mash
Check out @ev_cruisin496 on IG. He has a set on his Model 3. He says the EPB works as advertised.
I should have a set in approx 2 weeks for the Model Y.
Yeah so is voltron_m_3 but they won’t share pics. EV_cruisin496 said this
B76BCDAB-CA20-467A-BB0B-276C8EDB01C3.jpeg