Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you get the work done?
It's super easy to do brakes yourself, all you need is a jack, basic tool kit (ratchet, a few different bits), brake bleeding kit, and a torque wrench and breaker bar. Shouldn't take more than an hour per wheel, and that's if you go slow. The only slightly annoying bit for the Tesla is they use some weird inverse Torx bolt to hold the caliper to the knuckle, I think it's a size 20. There are several videos detailing how to change performance brakes for the Model 3 on Youtube.

If you don't have the tools or really think you can't manage it, then any remotely competent shop should be able to do it within 2.5 hours or so. Maybe 3 hours, but even that seems high if you have a lift and power tools.

I’ll believe it when I see it. No one has posted any pics of it and only you and another guy I know has it and yet there’s no information posted on their site. So.....yeah. I’d say the EPB is still not real with BBK.

I finally had some time to take my wheels off for some pictures.

Here is the Rotora EPB actuator without the OEM motor installed.
rear-6.jpg

IMG_4660.jpeg
The stock actuator motor is removed from the PUP rear caliper and bolted to the Rotora Electronic brake actuator. That assembly is bolted to the back of the caliper bracket.
IMG_4661.jpeg IMG_4662.jpeg IMG_4663.jpeg

To better understand how it all fits together, check out this Video. This guy has a rotora kit on his Volvo. How it comes together is pretty much the same. (@10:07)

The electronic brake actuator has 2 hydraulic ports, one input from the car, and output to the caliper. The kit comes with all steel lines included
IMG_4665.jpeg

I did not open up the actuator to see how it works, but i'm guessing that under normal operation, with the motor screw released, brake fluid flows normally though the actuator. When the parking brake is applied and the motor is rotated, check valve is triggered to prevent back flow and the motor drives a piston to clamp down on the rotor.

It works great. Once installed i still have the same parking brake holding force as before. Roll to stop and autopilot work just as it did before.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TwoK4drSi

View attachment 582121

View attachment 582110
The stock actuator motor is removed from the PUP rear caliper and bolted to the Rotora Electronic brake actuator. That assembly is bolted to the back of the caliper bracket.
View attachment 582111 View attachment 582112 View attachment 582113

To better understand how it all fits together, check out this Video. This guy has a rotora kit on his Volvo. How it comes together is pretty much the same. (@10:07)

The electronic brake actuator has 2 hydraulic ports, one input from the car, and output to the caliper. The kit comes with all steel lines included
View attachment 582114

I did not open up the actuator to see how it works, but i'm guessing that under normal operation, with the motor screw released, brake fluid flows normally though the actuator. When the parking brake is applied and the motor is rotated, check valve is triggered to prevent back flow and the motor drives a piston to clamp down on the rotor.

It works great. Once installed i still have the same parking brake holding force as before. Roll to stop and autopilot work just as it did before.

Hmmm looks like to me this person has right hand rotors on the left side of the vehicle.

rotors.png
right left.png

Hmmm looks like to me this person has right hand rotors on the left side of the vehicle.

View attachment 582145 View attachment 582146

Direction of rotor rotation has to do with the internal vanes of the rotors (unless they are radial or straight vanes) not the cut of the slots. It acts like a centrifugal fan to flow air from the center, out.

how_to1.jpg

This picture is of the rear left rotor.

rear-2 vane.jpg IMG_4660 vane.jpg
Centrifugal_fan.gif

View attachment 582121

View attachment 582110
View attachment 582111 View attachment 582112 View attachment 582113

View attachment 582114

Which dealer did you buy them from? I tried to search it but there is no result on google.

Also which size of the wheels will front 380mm rotor and caliper fit into?

Last edited:
Which dealer did you buy them from? I tried to search it but there is no result on google.

I bought them directly from Rotora.

They used my car to to prototype this kit on the the Performance model 3 since the calipers/motors are different than the standard M3. I will admit that it's quite difficult to get good information on their products. I'm told that their website is under construction and should be more robust when finished.

Ill be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Also which size of the wheels will front 380mm rotor and caliper fit into?

The 380mm needs 19" wheels. I have the 380mm in the front, and 350mm in the rear

It's also important to note that the rear calipers stick out a lot more compared to the PUP calipers so wheels with high offsets (short hubs) will need spacers. I have Avant Garde 20x10 +42 on the rear and i needed a 5mm spacer for it to work.

I am buying some performance brakes next week from Tesla. Only the fronts at this time, but I can weigh the various parts for you. I want to retain the ability to run stock 18's (even though I have aftermarket rims at the moment), so I am just leaving the rears stock and painting the caliper. The rotor size is the same for the performance rear rotor anyhow, only the front base rotor is hilariously small. Judging by looks alone there is a SIGNIFICANT size difference between stock and performance front brakes, when I get the parts I will throw it on a scale for you, but I'd expect at least 60-70% heavier than stock for most components.
So Have you changed your brakes yet, did you compare the weight difference of the calipers ?