Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that upgraded to the performance calipers and rotors to a non-performance Model 3, how did you handle the dust cover? Rear performance calipers are wider so I think you’ll need to cut part of the dust cover to clear the calipers. The front rotors will be larger diameter than non performance rotors. What did you do with the front dust cover? Thanks.
It's easy to cut them with a Dremel, but you can also buy performance shields.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the front left/right Performance dust shields?
Pretty sure it is 1044662-00-B. The parts catalog lists 2 shields, one is "base" and the other has nothing, so I assume it's the sport/performance brake one. On the rears they call out base and perf. No left/right listed, they must be symmetric. The rears do have a L/R.

FYI, You can look up part numbers yourself at epc.tesla.com. Their parts catalog is free/public (requires registration).

Brakes:

For those that upgraded to the performance calipers and rotors to a non-performance Model 3, how did you handle the dust cover? Rear performance calipers are wider so I think you’ll need to cut part of the dust cover to clear the calipers. The front rotors will be larger diameter than non performance rotors. What did you do with the front dust cover? Thanks.
I bought the OEM performance ones, it cost like $18 each, so why not after spending $2400? Unfortunately for me, the hub needs to be removed
Does anyone have the part numbers for the front left/right Performance dust shields?
FRONT BRAKE SHIELD
Part #: 1044662-00-B

And yes, the left and right are the same part #

Reactions: gearchruncher
Pads are separate.
Any SC can order these, the are not restricted parts.
It will be way cheaper to find a set off a wrecked or upgraded car. There is one on Ebay now for about $1200. Buying new will cost you near what a good Brembo BBK will cost and those will work a lot better.

The parts are VIN restricted, just gave the service advisor a VIN of a random M3P I found (I own a M3 LR), waiting for him to get back to me. I seen the ones on Ebay but they are pretty beat up. I’m looking for new or almost new condition calipers. Mostly upgrading to performance calipers for the aesthetics. Guess I have to add brake pads to the order list too.

The parts are VIN restricted

Not according to Teslas own parts catalog they're not

brakesvin.png

They all vin restricted even marked over the counter - system won't give them part numbers otherwise.

I mean, the part number is right there in the catalog screen shot I posted, there's no need to "look it up" you just ask for it by the PN you already have, which per the catalog is sold OTC without needing a VIN.

At least 2 folks in the thread (back on page 10, possibly more later stopped looking after that) ordered them without VINs but in one case he had to apparently ask a couple difference service people to get one to do it, and another ordered them but warned him they maybe won't work.

So it seems like some service centers ASK for the vin because they don't want to be stuck with you not actually buying the parts when they show up (since Tesla locations keep very little parts on hand and they'd have to order them in)... but nothing officially from Tesla restricts them selling you any part the catalog says is not restricted by VIN.

SOME parts -are- restricted by VIN, but again these aren't among them (and the catalog is clear on which those are too)

Reactions: AdamMacDon
According to the service advisor I spoke with, the reason they require a VIN is because their system requires the parts to be assigned to a specific VIN before they can order the parts. (I did try to order the parts without giving a VIN) Though, I am not sure about other service centers. I may need to try a different one if this person is unable to order the parts for me.

I’m looking to do this upgrade soon, need to find a SC that will order these parts for me. Does the caliper include brake pads when I order the calipers? Or would I need to order the brake pads separately?
The calipers I ordered came fully loaded, the back of the pads were even greased up so it was literally turn key. I believe the non-loaded calipers are actually a restricted part. I can give you a copy of my invoice if you want.

I mean, the part number is right there in the catalog screen shot I posted, there's no need to "look it up" you just ask for it by the PN you already have, which per the catalog is sold OTC without needing a VIN.

At least 2 folks in the thread (back on page 10, possibly more later stopped looking after that) ordered them without VINs but in one case he had to apparently ask a couple difference service people to get one to do it, and another ordered them but warned him they maybe won't work.

So it seems like some service centers ASK for the vin because they don't want to be stuck with you not actually buying the parts when they show up (since Tesla locations keep very little parts on hand and they'd have to order them in)... but nothing officially from Tesla restricts them selling you any part the catalog says is not restricted by VIN.

SOME parts -are- restricted by VIN, but again these aren't among them (and the catalog is clear on which those are too)
As usual, Knightshade is bang on. I had to fish around service centers and had a Performance VIN on hand in case I needed it (however, I did not). Calgary's SC actually ordered the parts with my SR+ VIN and didn't give me any hassle. As is the norm with Tesla SC's, YMMV, but it's quite clearly non restricted, so if one service center says no, move on. Especially if you're in Cali and don't have to drive 1,000kms to get to the next SC like I did.

I included a picture of the invoice in case there is still some doubt. That is indeed the VIN of my SR+. As for the price, I looked for months for a used set, but the CHEAPEST set I found were only 20% cheaper and in awful condition, they looked tracked hard and the rotors were probably a write off. Tesla used parts often seem to fetch nearly new prices, and given the hassle of getting parts from the SC, I have an idea why.

Attachments

• brakes.png
    brakes.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Informative
Reactions: Knightshade
As usual, Knightshade is bang on. I had to fish around service centers and had a Performance VIN on hand in case I needed it (however, I did not). Calgary's SC actually ordered the parts with my SR+ VIN and didn't give me any hassle. As is the norm with Tesla SC's, YMMV, but it's quite clearly non restricted, so if one service center says no, move on. Especially if you're in Cali and don't have to drive 1,000kms to get to the next SC like I did.

I included a picture of the invoice in case there is still some doubt. That is indeed the VIN of my SR+. As for the price, I looked for months for a used set, but the CHEAPEST set I found were only 20% cheaper and in awful condition, they looked tracked hard and the rotors were probably a write off. Tesla used parts often seem to fetch nearly new prices, and given the hassle of getting parts from the SC, I have an idea why.
Thanks for the invoice, the prices are a good reference even though they are in CAD. I hope my calipers include brake pads so I don’t need to order them. Whole front and rear set looking to be around $3.5K which isn’t too bad.

Also just wondering, did you use the app for that order? Or did you show up in person at the SC to place an order?

Thanks for the invoice, the prices are a good reference even though they are in CAD. I hope my calipers include brake pads so I don’t need to order them. Whole front and rear set looking to be around $3.5K which isn’t too bad.

Also just wondering, did you use the app for that order? Or did you show up in person at the SC to place an order?
To convert to USD, multiply the amount by roughly 0.75 to account for the exchange rate and "North tax", haha. If you're quoted more than $2k US for the fronts, something is off.

Rears actually were more expensive than the fronts (plus more hassle to install, since there is the e-brake integrated), so I ended up passing on them and just painting the rear calipers red and adding a Tesla decal. The rear rotors are the same diameter and I assume a fairly similar amount of metal to absorb heat. Couple that with the fact that the front is responsible for most of the braking force and it wasn't worth it.

I'm 99% sure your calipers will come fully loaded. The unloaded caliper is just for the SC according to the lady who worked at the Calgary SC, but take that for what it's worth. The truth is the stock pads are kind of meh, so I'd recommend swapping them out for better ones if you wanna track it.

I ordered by phone initially. Then they sent me an email invoice for the stock front brakes and I emailed back asking to please get the performance brakes instead. They were nice enough to do it, but I had to call back and forth a bit. After convincing them I wasn't totally insane and had done enough research to pull it off, they sent me the invoice above and got the parts in about 1.5 months later. A bit of a process, but at least they talked to me, Vancouver's SC straight up ignored me.

I attached some pics of the finished product so you can see how the painted rears look.

Attachments

• 20201025_123042.jpg
    20201025_123042.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 263
I think your Model 3 turned out great, I’m planning on getting those wheels too (except in satin black) to accommodate for the bigger calipers. The performance rears calipers are definitely pricey and a hassle to install but I think they look way better than the standard ones.

The first service center I contacted for the order was a dead end. However, I called another local SC to inquire about the parts and the service advisor I spoke with said he would order me the parts with no questions asked. He sent an invoice to my email after the call. Price comes out to about $4K which is more expensive than I expected but I guess the price varies for each SC.

Just to confirm as well, the service advisor only asked me for my VIN to send me the invoice so no problems ordering performance parts even if they don’t match my VIN.