Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: MPP front rotors and MP3 caliper upgrades no problem. Rear brakes required new rotors as well, went with MPP to match front. Had to hack wiring harness since I couldn't locate one. Had to cut away part of rotor shield. Will install tomorrow and upload photos to warn others this was not a simple swap. Probably better to go with MP3 rotor/caliper combination but make sure parking brake wiring harness is included.
Hi,
What is exactly the hack needed on the harness? My SC does not sell parts that were not stock on the car.

MACT333 ~ Thanks for the great info. Definitely got me wanting some big brakes too. (admittedly, more for the look than the performance) Ive been looking for a while now, and cant seem to find any used M3P Brake setups for sale, so i have decided to go with Brembo BBK up front, and a Retrofit kit (Model S Calipers) for the rears.

Nice setup! I have been doing research on Brembo kits and i didn't know they made a 380mm kit. Their website only shows a 355mm. Would you be able to share the part number with me?

Reactions: dralusion
Anyone in here have the Model 3 Performance stealth (non-performance upgrade package) and swap out the brakes? I asked my SC and they mentioned a cost much higher than OP. I want front and rear. Going through Tesla also will not void warranty and those parts will have a warranty tied to it. I’d sacrifice my 18” but can find an aftermarket option to clear the brakes.

Anyone in here have the Model 3 Performance stealth (non-performance upgrade package) and swap out the brakes? I asked my SC and they mentioned a cost much higher than OP. I want front and rear. Going through Tesla also will not void warranty and those parts will have a warranty tied to it. I’d sacrifice my 18” but can find an aftermarket option to clear the brakes.
I'd recommend used parts to save money. Doing it yourself is also fairly easy if you're mechanically inclined whatsoever. Brakes are super easy to work on. I can't imagine the DIY route costing more than $3000 if you source the right parts.

I'd recommend used parts to save money. Doing it yourself is also fairly easy if you're mechanically inclined whatsoever. Brakes are super easy to work on. I can't imagine the DIY route costing more than $3000 if you source the right parts.
I thought about going that route. Apparently, there's more to the P3D- than I thought. I was told there are other components like sway bars and other suspension components also in the mix. Aside from the lower ride height, that is.

I thought about going that route. Apparently, there's more to the P3D- than I thought. I was told there are other components like sway bars and other suspension components also in the mix. Aside from the lower ride height, that is.
The suspension is different in the P3D, namely the 10mm lower ride height and tweaked dynamics. That being said, the brakes are a separate system altogether, they are not related. Personally, I want bigger brakes for track use, since there is no real downside off the track, but a sportier suspension setup is something that will affect ride quality on the street. If you want to do suspension upgrades, go with adjustable coilovers for sure. Many lowly SR+ owners such as myself have done brake upgrades. The only consideration is Tesla's 18" rims won't clear the rear performance brakes. So you either leave those base, or get different rims. TST 18's fit.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the cost of the parts new from Tesla is roughly $3,500. I'm not sure what they would charge for labor, but probably 4 to 6 hours.

On another note, I've made custom jumper harnesses. The cost for the jumpers from Tesla is $100 each, which just seems crazy for what they are. If anyone is interested, I'll sell these for $130 shipped for the pair. Save's a little bit of cash and sales tax.

IMG_20200531_090855.jpg
IMG_20200531_092124.jpg

The suspension is different in the P3D, namely the 10mm lower ride height and tweaked dynamics. That being said, the brakes are a separate system altogether, they are not related. Personally, I want bigger brakes for track use, since there is no real downside off the track, but a sportier suspension setup is something that will affect ride quality on the street. If you want to do suspension upgrades, go with adjustable coilovers for sure. Many lowly SR+ owners such as myself have done brake upgrades. The only consideration is Tesla's 18" rims won't clear the rear performance brakes. So you either leave those base, or get different rims. TST 18's fit.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I need to ask again and specify only the brakes and those components. I might have come off as wanting the whole PUP minus wheels/tires.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I need to ask again and specify only the brakes and those components. I might have come off as wanting the whole PUP minus wheels/tires.
Yeah always keep in mind your mileage will vary depending who you talk to. The service center is worse than the internet in terms of information, IMO. You have to be really careful and ideally check each piece of information with several different employees and across different service centers. For example, my SC in my home province of British Columbia refused to sell me a subwoofer because they claimed it needed a firmware update to work (which makes zero sense, but okay). I asked for the part in Alberta and they didn't ask any questions, even the Tesla famous "well, what do you need that for?". The key I have found is ask around at several locations.

MACT333 ~ Thanks for the great info. Definitely got me wanting some big brakes too. (admittedly, more for the look than the performance) Ive been looking for a while now, and cant seem to find any used M3P Brake setups for sale, so i have decided to go with Brembo BBK up front, and a Retrofit kit (Model S Calipers) for the rears.

Nice setup! I have been doing research on Brembo kits and i didn't know they made a 380mm kit. Their website only shows a 355mm. Would you be able to share the part number with me?

wait..what??you can use model s calipers for the rears? tell me more!

Reactions: Theraven
Getting the answer of this not being feasible. Before I call another location, anyone who’s done this open to sharing their SC paperwork with me? Even just the order number and mine can pull it.
Why bother going through all this hassle for the OEM performance brakes when they're not that good to begin with.

You should look into MPP bbk, its superior in every way. The unsprung weight savings alone is huge.

Reactions: Dolemite