Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you overtorque those bolts you damage calipers and not bolts.
Not my Caliper, but I’ve circled where the bolts attach to the mounting bracket. I thought the caliper glided on the Slider bolts only, and I wasn’t too worried about the mounting bracket.

Attachments

• A51B4691-70CF-42C5-8FBA-C4EDE208E513.jpeg
    A51B4691-70CF-42C5-8FBA-C4EDE208E513.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 386
How much did you torque them to, 200ft-lbs? If they didn't snap, I don't really think it's a concern.
You’re probably right. I was daydreaming and torqued to the 83nm that I believe the caliper bolts get. I believe the slider bolts are supposed to be around 25nm (but they felt a bit tighter than that coming off). It would just be nice to know I can get replacement bolts. I find the parts finder website very hard to interpret and there’s no diagram for the pup brakes.

Just ordered a pair of Alcon RC6 400mm and it should arrive around x'mas, I am hoping my friend who is upgrading soon will sell me his M3P rear calipers. Just wonder if I need to go with the same discs or the P-/LR discs are direct fit?

The Non-PUP rotors will not work. The pad sweep area is too small. You will need new rotors.

You’re probably right. I was daydreaming and torqued to the 83nm that I believe the caliper bolts get. I believe the slider bolts are supposed to be around 25nm (but they felt a bit tighter than that coming off). It would just be nice to know I can get replacement bolts. I find the parts finder website very hard to interpret and there’s no diagram for the pup brakes.

Yeah it doesn't look like you can order those bolts separately, which is odd. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it one bit :)

MMP BBK installed. Very smooth install! With 18” Titan7 TS5’s they fit will good clearance. What do others do to prevent hitting larger calipers with the wheel barrels? Even lightweight Titan7’s are hard to take off perfectly straight. I might start hanging a thin towel over the calipers each time.

Looks nice. How much clearance do you have to the wheel barrel?

I ordered a set, and it would be great if the 18 aeros cleared the calipers, for efficiency and other reasons, even if it’s a tight fit. MPP description states they don’t fit.

Reactions: Theraven

I ordered a set, and it would be great if the 18 aeros cleared the calipers, for efficiency and other reasons, even if it’s a tight fit. MPP description states they don’t fit.
I can't say whether the aeros would fit (but I suspect not). On the 18" Titan 7's i have on for the colder months there's something like 7-10mm of clearance (my visual estimate only!) It's the rear pup brakes that are a tighter fit - I would guess those are closer to 5mm or so clearance.

While tight, they do in fact fit over the MPP BBK. However, they do not clear the Performance Rear Calipers without modification to the calipers.

Feel? Sure. Various braking system changes can tweak the feel of the system to a drivers preference for sure.

Actually stop you any shorter? Physics says that's not possible.

I'd again suggest reading this:

GRM Pulp Friction

tl;dr if you can engage ABS, which even the stock brakes EASILY can, then MOAR BRAKING POWER doesn't stop you any shorter. It physically can't.

Wonder how sticky of a tire you would need to not be able to engage ABS with stock brakes. All the way to Hoosiers? 100 TW tire maybe. I could lockup with my 200 TW RE71Rs.

Wonder how sticky of a tire you would need to not be able to engage ABS with stock brakes. All the way to Hoosiers? 100 TW tire maybe. I could lockup with my 200 TW RE71Rs.

takes 2 to tango. might be the road surface wont support higher load. f1 drive on optimized track surfaces, with megasticky tires, and drivers can still lock up the tires at will

While tight, they do in fact fit over the MPP BBK. However, they do not clear the Performance Rear Calipers without modification to the calipers.

Confirmed with a test fit. The front MPP BBK Stoptech calipers fit over the 18" aeros with tight clearance (but enough for my comfort). I did the test mount with the stock rotors (was not ready to cut the dust shield just yet). I expect the spokes to have even more room with the thicker hat Girodisc rotors.

MPP 18 aero-1.jpg MPP 18 aero-2.jpg

The wheel balancing weights should be close to the edge of the rim, otherwise they will make contact with the caliper.

The Non-PUP rotors will not work. The pad sweep area is too small. You will need new rotors.

Yeah it doesn't look like you can order those bolts separately, which is odd. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it one bit :)
To close the circle on this, and to help anyone else who ever wants/needs to source the slider bolts and accompanying hardware for the rear pup brakes, I did manage to get them but only from Brembo directly! I just inquired via the brembo parts website and they responded by giving me Tesla part number 1462823-00-A. I gave that to my local service center but they said it didn’t exist. I told Brembo that and they just sent them to me directly. No charge! I sent my service center an update so hopefully this prompts someone to look into it and get it added to the Tesla parts catalogue. Brembo is certainly under the impression that Tesla should be stocking this part. Full credit to Brembo - amazing service.

Attachments

• 927ABE17-E6CD-4355-B6D6-C397F6DFFE2E.jpeg
    927ABE17-E6CD-4355-B6D6-C397F6DFFE2E.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 581B5AE1-F966-4979-974D-DD078B83C3CD.jpeg
    581B5AE1-F966-4979-974D-DD078B83C3CD.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 269
f1 drive on optimized track surfaces, with megasticky tires, and drivers can still lock up the tires at will

I guess you missed the Turkish GP in 2020? Lol

Seriously though, I don’t think they can lock the brakes at high speed due to the amount of downforce/grip, and the regulations which limit the stiffness and size of the calipers and size of the discs. I’m only guessing though, but I’m sure I’ve never seen a lock-up at high speed.

just wow...point is not about cost, its about knowing about the harness so you don't get stuck like I did and throwing codes...dang...but to be clear, the cost is steep...I paid 1800 for fronts, 1300 for rears...install was 600...jumper harnesses were 200...you happy now???....:)

I am sure most wouldn't consider this due to cost...I was going to do Brembo's for fronts but thought it would look odd having Brembo's up front and Tesla performance for rears...and what's odd is this, when I looked for rear upgrade BBK's I found nothing!...many companies sell the fronts but I couldn't find a single vendor that sold the rear brake upgrade.
Is the car still ok and no codes? I'm doing it now, fyi the harness can be bought for $210 new (pair), so you didn't pay too much for them. I'm about to bleed the brakes today or tomorrow.

We've just brought out a rear disc upgrade for the P, utilising the stock caliper which might interest those fitting a front BBK.
354x21mm rotors in place of the 335x20 factory ones.

A quick 'before and after' pic. (original calipers have been painted so they match the AP calipers on the front).

BeforeNafter_S.jpg
M3P with BBK_S.jpg

Reactions: AdamMacDon
For those that upgraded to the performance calipers and rotors to a non-performance Model 3, how did you handle the dust cover? Rear performance calipers are wider so I think you’ll need to cut part of the dust cover to clear the calipers. The front rotors will be larger diameter than non performance rotors. What did you do with the front dust cover? Thanks.