Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded V2 Supercharger - Do 75D cars benefit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that the 75 battery does not even get up to the 120kW that V2 SuperChargers provide to larger batteries, it's unlikely to expect that charging speeds will improve for the 75 models.

75 does not go over 100kW on current chargers as the pack voltage is lower. But, the supercharger v3 and v2 updates increase the amps provided by the charger, so 75s will likely benefit exactly the same as all others.

Considering that the 75 battery does not even get up to the 120kW that V2 SuperChargers provide to larger batteries, it's unlikely to expect that charging speeds will improve for the 75 models.
Agreed. The only way smaller Tesla Model S and X batteries can benefit from the new V2 and V3 upgrades are as follows:
  • In V3, you don't have to share with another car charging.
  • Your battery gets preheated to start with faster charging in some conditions.
  • Everyone else will also be experiencing faster charging, and will get out of your way faster, so less lines, or in the case of V2, potentially less time you spend sharing with another car charging. This has a huge effect since there are a lot of new Model 3's and soon Model Y's congesting SuperChargers, especially since they can charge particularly fast.
  • Tesla probably tuned the charging algorithm for your car to be slightly more aggressive where it can be, but I don't know.
  • Tesla being able to serve more cars with lower footprint will allow Tesla to invest this money in more V3 SuperChargers, thus reducing the time you spend getting to and using SuperChargers, since they will be closer, less congestion, and more V3.

Last edited:
75 does not go over 100kW on current chargers as the pack voltage is lower. But, the supercharger v3 and v2 updates increase the amps provided by the charger, so 75s will likely benefit exactly the same as all others.

As @_jmk mentioned, if the supercharger improvement means increase current, then 75D cars might benefit and see charging rates > 100 kW. I know for a fact that the old 70D battery packs charged all the way to 115kW, so there is no fundamental limitation to the 75D battery packs.
With 2019.12.1, the 75D packs are now getting charging peaks of 105kW per reddit:

Fastest rate of charge we've had in our MX! Firmware upgrade 2019.12.1 last night. : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
Ok. So I got v2019.12.1.1 and went to the supercharger to see the charge profile of my 75D. Here are the curves comparing my charging profile before and after the upgrade. To summarize, the peak power is certainly higher, however, it tapers slightly earlier than before meaning a net wash. Going from 8% to 90% would save about perhaps a min or two (total time taken was 50 mins).
upload_2019-5-1_0-59-4.png