TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Upgrades between now and Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by McHoffa, Oct 19, 2015.

1. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

Just wondering what everyone thinks the chances are of a small (or large) hardware/spec bump between now and Model 3? Specifically, any better range/speed or slight exterior design changes? I just wonder if they'll offer a much longer range battery once they get the gigafactory up and running, or if they'll do a small price drop across the line. In a couple years (assuming it's not late) it would be hard to justify a Model S when a full spec Model 3 will probably come in around $60-70k. I'd hate to be a buyer just before spec bump (like the people that got one just before the autopilot hardware was added).

My guess is they'll offer a major battery upgrade, like they've done with the Roadster, except built in since they'll still be making the Model S I assume.

Any other ideas?

2. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

They just added the 90, P90DL upgrades. According tor R&T, no refresh planned.

Road & Track

3. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Elon also claimed no improvements to Model S for a year and then 6-7 months in sprung those items you mentioned.

4. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Considering that the Model X is supposed to have a single 72-A charger, there could be a good shot that that could find its way into the Model S.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

As if Road and Track has some special knowledge of Tesla's plans?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

To the OP: no one outside of Tesla knows when changes/upgrades are coming. It is not predictable. Anyone can speculate, but it's just speculation.
    Buy a Tesla if it meets your needs and you can afford it.
    R&T has no special insight into the future of Tesla, but they like to sound like they do.

7. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

Thanks. I was looking at buying around the end of next summer, but I'm worried at that point, the car will end up being overpriced for what it can do and the tech it has (FYI, unfortunately I'm not looking at a P90D or anything). Already thinking of looking at the X instead, just due to the newer features and functionality (except I prefer the look of the S) but the X will be a long way off from being about to order and have within a couple months.

As I'll be financing part of the cost, I'd rather it not be completely obsolete before it's paid for :smile:

8. brkaus

brkaus Member

End of next summer is a long time away. Now is very early to start speculating on features around that time.

9. TitanP85D

TitanP85D Member

I'm 100% confident that an upgrade will be made (for the reasons that OP said) to Model S and X before the launch of Model 3. Launch, not unveiling. So about late 2017 - early 2018 I expect a range increase for the S and the X using the new gigafatory batteries.