Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrades/Changes from 2017 P90D X to 2020 Long Range Plus X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, can anyone who is familiar with the Raven X confirm the upgrades/changes I would get if I buy a 2020 Raven LR or LR+?

My current car is a P90D Ludicrous X w/MCU2 upgrade w/white vegan interior and cameras/FSD Beta upgrade. 6-seater w/PUP. Built in late December 2016 (similar to a 2017).

Upgrades I would get by getting 2020 Raven LR+ compared to my P90DL:
1) Better front motor, so efficiency (miles per kWH) would improve by 10%.
2) Higher range. Currently my X gets 224 miles rated range at 100%, a 2020 LR+can get 328-351 rated range when new, let's say 324 now. So I would get an increase of 100 miles in rated range, or 70 miles real world range. Wow.
3) Raven adaptive suspension would be slightly more comfortable on bumpy roads, and slightly better handling on twisty roads.
4) Slightly quieter cabin at highway speeds.
5) Faster charging on road trips, I would go from 150kw max charge speed on 90kwh battery to 200-250kw max charge speed on 100kwh battery.
6) MUCH better warranty, with another year on main warranty, and battery/motors warranty expiring in 2028.
7) One pedal driving. My current X requires me to press the brake pedal to come to a complete stop EVERY SINGLE TIME I STOP.
8) Cold weather package with heated rear seats.
9) Tow package.

Downgrades if I get a 2020 Raven LR+:
10) Slower acceleration. 0 to 60 would be 4.4 seconds on the LR+, versus around 3.6 seconds I get driving my P90D in Ludicrous
11) Loss of alcantara dashboard and loss of active spoiler.
12) Loss of gloss black seatbacks in all 3 rows, which look like a work of art.
13) My perforated and piped Premium white vegan seats would become smooth non-perforated vegan seats. These seemed less plush and comfortable when I tried it.
14) Losing tens of thousands of dollars in my bank account to trade the P90D for the LR+

Let me know if there are any comments or corrections. Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

I have both vehicles, except my 2016 has AP1. I would say your list looks correct. The 2020 has zero rattles and squeaks. And it is noticeably slower at all speeds. I prefer driving the 2020 bc the suspension is so much better. I have it set to comfort and it's fantastic.

The extra range is nice, but I wish I would have purchased the 371 mile version. I can go 200 miles between charges in my 2016 at 75 mph, which was rated for 250 miles when new. And 230 miles in my 2020 at 80 mph, which was rated for 328 miles when new.

Sample of one, not apples to apples, but I was expecting more range out of the 2020. I get the speed makes a difference, but I only travelled 75 mph bc that's as fast as I could go to get to the supercharger 200 miles away, not bc I wanted to go that slow.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the differences and I can go check and/or take pictures.

Also, my 2016 was listed having a 0-60 in 3 seconds. I think the best I ever did was 3.3, but still faster than the 3.6 you listed.

I've got a 2017 100D, one of the first 100D's off the line. I got all the options, so it has tow and the cold weather package. I've upgraded the MCU. With FSD I got the upgraded HW3 AP computer and just recently the camera upgrade and current FSD Beta firmware. With all of that, it always seemed to be keeping up with the new vehicles until the Raven version came out. My EPA range was 292 miles.

Your list seems about right to me. Mostly Raven changes and any options you didn't buy with the old X.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
The 2020 has zero rattles and squeaks. And it is noticeably slower at all speeds. I prefer driving the 2020 bc the suspension is so much better. I have it set to comfort and it's fantastic.
Thanks for this info, I really value a more comfortable suspension. Also I prefer more performance to more range, so maybe I'll save for a 2019 Performance Raven with 305 mile range.

I also forgot to mention that if I do a lane change on autopilot on my P90D, it doesn't auto-cancel the turn signal afterward. I assume the Raven DOES auto-cancel the turn signal after the lane change, just like my Model 3.

Thanks for this info, I really value a more comfortable suspension. Also I prefer more performance to more range, so maybe I'll save for a 2019 Performance Raven with 305 mile range.

I also forgot to mention that if I do a lane change on autopilot on my P90D, it doesn't auto-cancel the turn signal afterward. I assume the Raven DOES auto-cancel the turn signal after the lane change, just like my Model 3.
For the best suspension, you need a 2022 where it is fully configurable. Comfort, Sport and advanced where you can configure everything.

WRT lane change, I do not think that is true. The Raven still has the standard turn signal stalk I believe, therefore two detents, with the second mechanically latching. I believe you have to get into a 2022 (refresh) before you will see auto-cancel on lane change. I thought if you did a lane change with just a partial action, the signal will remain on until the lane change is completed. The Model 3 does that with a full pull on the turn signal stalk.

I assume the Raven DOES auto-cancel the turn signal after the lane change, just like my Model 3.

I think the turn signal auto cancels after both a partial and full press on the stalk, but I will test it out and get back to you. I know it auto cancels after a partial press because that's what I usually do, and the turn signal stays on until the vehicle has changed lanes.
For the best suspension, you need a 2022 where it is fully configurable.

I was not aware that the 2022 had different suspension settings. Sharing a picture of mine. Could you share a picture of the 2022 settings for comparison?

Attachments

• IMG_1569[9].png
    IMG_1569[9].png
    2.5 MB · Views: 278
I have e the 2020 Long Range +......Only thing on your list I can't agree with is your charge rate. To get anything faster then 150 seems like you have to be in single digits for S.O.C. and then it only lasts till you get to double digits and tapers quickly. I know battery longevity is a premium concern but why produce the 250 chargers if we can't use them !

I haven't supercharged a lot in the 2020, but it is definitely faster than my 2016. Agree that I'm not seeing anywhere near 250 for any length of time, but the taper must be less severe than in the 2016.

The 2016 frequently pulls 150-170 for very short periods of time, so I think the battery is in good health. The charging really gets slow around 70 or 80% where to 2020 doesn't get that slow.

I have charged the 2020 at 150 and 250 chargers, and I see zero difference in the overall charge speed all things being equal. Still noticeably faster than the 2016.

I can pull Teslafi data if you are interested in the details.

I have e the 2020 Long Range +......Only thing on your list I can't agree with is your charge rate. To get anything faster then 150 seems like you have to be in single digits for S.O.C. and then it only lasts till you get to double digits and tapers quickly. I know battery longevity is a premium concern but why produce the 250 chargers if we can't use them !
It is because newer cars can charge MUCH faster. Starting between 10% and 20% my 2022 X exceeds 250 for the first fifteen odd minutes and stays well above 150 until roughly 60%,

I haven't supercharged a lot in the 2020, but it is definitely faster than my 2016. Agree that I'm not seeing anywhere near 250 for any length of time, but the taper must be less severe than in the 2016.

The 2016 frequently pulls 150-170 for very short periods of time, so I think the battery is in good health. The charging really gets slow around 70 or 80% where to 2020 doesn't get that slow.

I have charged the 2020 at 150 and 250 chargers, and I see zero difference in the overall charge speed all things being equal. Still noticeably faster than the 2016.

I can pull Teslafi data if you are interested in the details.

I would really like to see the data, just to see if we match up.

I agree with, zero difference between 150 and 250 chargers.

Reactions: Richbot
It is because newer cars can charge MUCH faster. Starting between 10% and 20% my 2022 X exceeds 250 for the first fifteen odd minutes and stays well above 150 until roughly 60%,
Is it a hardware or software difference. If I just stayed at 150 for 15 minutes I'd be excited! I'm really not unhappy about charging times, it doesn't take that long but it would be nice to be faster.

Is it a hardware or software difference. If I just stayed at 150 for 15 minutes I'd be excited! I'm really not unhappy about charging times, it doesn't take that long but it would be nice to be faster.
It is probably both. Newer models have improved batteries that are lighter, charge faster, and go further (although drivetrain improvements come into play here). My 2018 100D had somewhat more capacity, but it would not charge faster than about 170 kw, for just a few minutes. My 2022 rips along at 250 for a while, then tapers off, but not nearly as much as my 2018. We stopped for lunch in Columbia MO, arrived with roughly 12%. Plugged in, set for 100% target. Lunch took a little longer than expected, in roughly 45 minutes I was darn near full, over 95%. The practical difference is amazing.

Last edited:
I have one of the last Ravens to roll off the line and the highest speed I’ve ever seen at a charger is 204kw and it only does that for a short time. And I’m not sure it’s quieter than the earlier cars I’ve tried. Definitely better suspension and handling. Front biased power delivery too, if that matters, on a Long Range Raven the rear motor is dinky compared to the front. On the Performance cars,and I imagine a new 2022Long Range, the rear motor does more work so it feels more like a rear drive car.

I've got a 2017 100D, one of the first 100D's off the line. I got all the options, so it has tow and the cold weather package. I've upgraded the MCU. With FSD I got the upgraded HW3 AP computer and just recently the camera upgrade and current FSD Beta firmware. With all of that, it always seemed to be keeping up with the new vehicles until the Raven version came out. My EPA range was 292 miles.

Your list seems about right to me. Mostly Raven changes and any options you didn't buy with the old X.
Hi, how much was the camera upgrade? Did it give you a camera inside the X as well? I’m considering the camera, MCU, and HW3 done all at once and was just curious what I could expect in terms of cost.

The camera upgrade was free since I had purchased FSD with the car. There was no interior camera installed. All of those upgrades are nice, worthwhile to me. Even the cameras will give us better dashcam videos while on the road in picturesque locations. Without FSD I probably wouldn't have worried about the cameras.