Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading 20" OEM Tire...Fitment Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to upgrade the stock (and poor treadlife) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 "All-Season"

Proposing upgrading to Michelin CrossClimate2 with great reviews, treadlife, and all weather capability. The closest size available is 245/45/20

The Induction Wheel is listed at 9.5" width, however the Michelin tire specifies a 7.5-9" rim width. Is there any possibility of risk of mounting this tire on a 9.5" rim? Tire newbie here. Would it create wear issues by trying to stretch this or am i overthinking this?

Stock Tire
255/40/20 Diameter 28"

245/45/20 Diameter 28.6"

Ran tire size calculators and am aware of the slight speedometer differences. However, it is only 2.5% greater in diameter which falls within the recommeneded +/- 3% difference in diameter when changing tires.

It will fit just fine. Your indicated speed will be a little slower than actual. I'd rather it read over then under personally but still, at 70mph, it will only read 1.5 mph under your actual speed. Not a big deal but you certainly need to know.

It will fit just fine. Your indicated speed will be a little slower than actual. I'd rather it read over then under personally but still, at 70mph, it will only read 1.5 mph under your actual speed. Not a big deal but you certainly need to know.

Thank you. At 70mph, the new tire would read about 1.8mph according to tiresize.com.

Regarding the wheel rim width, this presents no issue at all with stretching the tire too far beyond what it listed as recommended rim width of 7.5-9"? When the induction wheel is 9.5"