Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading a P90D to Ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scuttlebutt suggests that there is no mechanical difference between the P90D and the P90DL, and that a software update could theoretically unlock Ludicrous mode. Has Tesla indicated whether it will be possible to upgrade to Ludicrous after purchase, and how much it would cost?

Reportedly, all the new P90D batteries already ship with the iconel contacts and electronic fuse. If so, then it should be a simple software upgrade to get Ludicrous mode. I assume that Tesla will offer an option to do this, similar to the old 40kwh to 60kwh battery upgrade. I would guess that this upgrade will be more expensive than the $10k premium at purchase (maybe $11k if history holds).

Can you provide more details? Was this a one off upgrade?

I just bought a P90D (Nov. 2015 build) without Ludicrous because I didn't think it was worth $10K. I assumed I would never upgrade but if it is software only for my car I might consider it at some point.

I just bought a P90D (Nov. 2015 build) without Ludicrous because I didn't think it was worth $10K. I assumed I would never upgrade but if it is software only for my car I might consider it at some point.

Have you done any 0-60 runs with your P90D? Am still curious if it will out perform a P85D. I'm in the same boat as you. Can't justify the $10,000 for the proven test results that have been seen so far. Just 0.25 gain in 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile (see back to back test chart below). Tesla advertises it to be much quicker, but so far, no "real world" tests have backed that up. If proof starts popping up that the P90DL really can do a 2.6 0-60 time and 10.9 1/4 mile, then I'd be willing to fork out the money as the gain would be considerable, $10,000 considerable! In the meantime, have heard rumors that a P90D might be quicker than a P85D, if that's the case, then there may be less to be gained. Decisions, decisions.

drag strip 90D-85D-85+.jpg

I contacted Tesla corporate sales about this - they said there is no way to currently purchase ludicrous after delivery. Of course this could change, but he seemed pretty adamant that if you wanted it, you have to get it at time of purchase. I would have definitely held off on it if I could enable it later, but since that's not guaranteed I went for it at purchase time. I guess their plan worked.

I contacted Tesla corporate sales about this - they said there is no way to currently purchase ludicrous after delivery. Of course this could change, but he seemed pretty adamant that if you wanted it, you have to get it at time of purchase. I would have definitely held off on it if I could enable it later, but since that's not guaranteed I went for it at purchase time. I guess their plan worked.

i got it in writing from my salesperson that I would be able to add it at a later date if I so chose.

The car I drove had the sticker in the glove box, no $10k Ludicrous on the sticker, the badge on the rear did not have the underline either. However, Ludicrous mode was enabled as I was able to select it, etc. I was told it was added after the car arrived....

Yes, P90D is mechanically EXACTLY the same as a P90DL. Same battery, same battery fuse, etc. The only difference is the software upgrade. Which to me, sorry, is just Ludicrous to spend $10,000 on something they can program into the car in a matter of minutes. I understand you're paying for all of the R&D work they invested to make the Ludicrous option what it is, but still, kind of ridiculous. Especially considering they'll allow owners with older cars that actually need hardware installed, to upgrade their cars for only $5,000. You get penalized for buying a new car. Add that to the fact that, as the chart above shows, there's such a minimal performance gain over a P85D in real world, back to back tests and it just doesn't make sense. Of course if you're filthy rich and can afford it, then so be it. But, for guys like me that can afford the car, but still have to be relatively smart with my money, I can't justify the price difference. Finally, I drove both cars (P90DL & P85D) and my butt could barely tell the difference. Both cars plant you back in the seat and cause neck strain. I'm already annoyed that Tesla PROMISED P85D owners that software updates would be released to improve acceleration over time. Instead, they said, no, you now have to pay $5,000 more to get what we promised you to begin with. Tesla promised a 10.9 1/4 mile car as well. Based on real world results, nobody is close to that as of yet. So not paying another $10,000 for another broken promise. I love my car, but am also a realist and I'm no longer going to pay for "maybe's" from Tesla. Seeing is believing. That $10,000 will stay in my pocket until I SEE Tesla has delivered as promised!!!

I bet that the next major iteration will do away with the distinction between Insane and Ludicrous.

There will be just one performance model available (P100D?)

1000 percent agree. They're just milking the cash cow for as much as they can get out of it. Figure they'll sucker the P85D owners to pay for an upgrade that only slightly improves the acceleration for $5,000 since they don't have the battery to get the full gain. Then get $10,000 for what is a software update. Once the sales fade out and upgrades fade out, there will be just one option available. Then in 2-3 years, they'll take all the P90D Insane cars in on trade at discounted prices, upgrade them to Ludicrous and charge a premium for them on resale.

Last edited:
1000 percent agree. They're just milking the cash cow for as much as they can get out of it. Figure they'll sucker the P85D owners to pay for an upgrade that only slightly improves the acceleration for $5,000 since they don't have the battery to get the full gain. Then get $10,000 for what is a software update. Once the sales fade out and upgrades fade out, there will be just one option available. Then in 2-3 years, they'll take all the P90D Insane cars in on trade at discounted prices, upgrade them to Ludicrous and charge a premium for them on resale.

Um, only slightly?

Last edited by a moderator: