Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Akikiki congrats!

If you do swap your 2.0 RCCC cameras to 2.5 RCCB cameras, I'd like to hear about it. Thinking about the same idea myself.
I was just thinking that if I replace my windshield eventually I would be tempted to replace the front cameras. I assume those are harder than the B pillars, which are in turn harder than the front quarter. I wonder if FSD would handle an AP2.0/2.5 camera mix or if you need to be all one or the other. Or if Tesla has to change the option code.

Edit: I don't spend much time thinking about where the cameras are, which was obvious by my first attempt to describe where they are. Grin.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that if I replace my windshield eventually I would be tempted to replace the front. I assume that one is harder than the B pillars, which are in turn harder than the front quarter, which are in turn harder than the rear quarter. I wonder if FSD would handle an AP2.0/2.5 camera mix or if you need to be all one or the other. Or if Tesla has to change the option code.

I think this is a great question for @verygreen.

He has reiterated several times that there's now an assertion in the code to ensure the ap2.0 computer gets RCCC and ap2.5 gets RCCB cam feeds, but seeing that @Akikiki's Model S has ap3, which is now receiving RCCC feeds from ap2.0 cameras, these assertions may now be well, "more flexible" for us to do a full camera hardware swap.

Reactions: Akikiki
Krash, You're taking about side cameras? B pillars? From the video in the videos, it these are shot from the cameras in the fender side markers that point back at an angle. No view shows something from as high as the B pillar. And what 'rear quarter' cameras?

I was just thinking that if I replace my windshield eventually I would be tempted to replace the front cameras. I assume those are harder than the B pillars, which are in turn harder than the front quarter. I wonder if FSD would handle an AP2.0/2.5 camera mix or if you need to be all one or the other. Or if Tesla has to change the option code.

Edit: I don't spend much time thinking about where the cameras are, which was obvious by my first attempt to describe where they are. Grin.
I don't think they'll allow a mix-and-match approach still.

Anyone with access to this info?

Tesla part number for left and right side/repeater cameras for AP 2.5 cars
Tesla part number for front camera for AP 2.5 cars?

I would be useful to know if these are the same or which are on Model 3 or Y too.

I don't think they'll allow a mix-and-match approach still.
Probably not, but even so it will be helpful when we know if 1) it would work with just ALL the cameras swapped; or 2) if you had to replace the cameras and the radar too; or 3) if you had to swap the cameras and radar and also change something like the option code or some gateway configuration.

You'll probably know first. I appreciate your work and look forward to your insight.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Probably not, but even so it will be helpful when we know if 1) it would work with just ALL the cameras swapped; or 2) if you had to replace the cameras and the radar too; or 3) if you had to swap the cameras and radar and also change something like the option code or some gateway configuration.

You'll probably know first. I appreciate your work and look forward to your insight.
the configuration of hw2.5 radar on an otherwise hw2.0 car is unsupported for sure. you won't be able to make it to even install any updates without some tricks.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
hmm, I got no tricks. I can unplug stuff and plug stuff in where that was. I've no access to that hacky-sacky stuff some people have figured out. I'm not above pleading with Tesla to make a change. But we all know they will not make unique changes to accommodate non-standard car configurations. So, bottom line, this may be a waste of time.

Anyone with access to this info?

Tesla part number for left and right side/repeater cameras for AP 2.5 cars
Tesla part number for front camera for AP 2.5 cars?

I would be useful to know if these are the same or which are on Model 3 or Y too.

Per Tesla's EPC parts catalog:

Tricam:
INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3
1120520-00-B

Repeater Cams and Pillar Cams I cannot find at the moment.

Hi Akikiki,

The part number for the left repeater camera is 1125106-00-C
I had it replaced in August 2019.
The Tesla price was $130 for the part.

Good luck - One part number to go,

Shawn

latest I have:

MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH) 1125106-00-E

MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)
1125107-00-E

Thanks appleguru.
Thanks ShawnA

I'm struggling with identifying parts. I found how to access the public version of the parts catalog.
Found 2016+ S/X part numbers for front and side cameras. It looks like side repeater lamps (that's what they call the camera) are the same 2016-2020. That makes no sense, if 2018+ are suppose to produce a full color.

And front camera has to different part numbers, although they do not guide or make a distinction for one Oct 2016-Jul '17 and Aug 2017-today.

This lack of clarification regarding different cameras for AP2.0 and AP2.5 are suggesting the cameras are the same and the monochrome filtering is going on someplace else. And it would simply be a waste of time and money to swap - even try to swap with temp connections of these cameras. This is confusing. I've explained this quandary to a very Tesla-smart friend, Teslatap.com and he's scratching his head and going to seek answers.

I could live with the monochrome camera view. It comes down to having even monochrome video is superior to not having anything so its great to have even monochrome. I started playing with the idea to upgrade the cameras while SIP was going on anyway. So, more later when we figure some of this out.

Thanks appleguru.
Thanks ShawnA

This lack of clarification regarding different cameras for AP2.0 and AP2.5 are suggesting the cameras are the same and the monochrome filtering is going on someplace else. And it would simply be a waste of time and money to swap - even try to swap with temp connections of these cameras. This is confusing. I've explained this quandary to a very Tesla-smart friend, Teslatap.com and he's scratching his head and going to seek answers.

I think the situation is that Tesla only lists the latest revision of some/most of its parts on the public version of the EPC. That's why they only have the "E" revision of the side repeater cameras. The Service Center version of the EPC has all the revisions for each part and can be easily filtered by the VIN number, which in turn is tied to the vehicle's build sheet. I've seen my local Service Center parts guy use my VIN number and he only gets the part that matches my car's configuration, eliminating the need to filter all the revisions for the same part.

Regarding TeslaTap's head scratching, Green mentioned that there are indeed different color filters on the cameras:

ap 2.0 cameras and ap2.5 cameras have identical sensors, it's just the physical color filters that are different on otherwise same bit of silicon. Also it's totally trivial to have support for both, Tesla just chose not to do it with a forceful assert in the code if the type does not match, but since they have identical NN so far - it's not really needed.

Which brings me to my main story of the day :): Today I called my buddy at my local Tesla salvage yard and he told me he just bought a 2019 Raven Performance Model S that is willing to part all of its Autopilot cameras for our experiment. So I PayPaled him the money and the following items came off the car and they are on their way to my house:

1125106-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)
1125107-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)
1120520-00-B - INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3
1069104-00-D - MS,B PLR,CAM ASSY
1069104-00-D - MS,B PLR,CAM ASSY

The thing is, I haven't had my Infotainment and FSD upgrade yet, so I wont be able to test if the camera swap works on my January 2017 built Model S. Additionally, and even more important is the fact that just as @Krash wisely said, I have no idea how to change the triple camera module on the windshield, nor the B pillar side cameras. I know the side repeaters are easy to change, since I took them off when I installed the PPF on my car...

Art, nice to have someone helping with this experiment. Welcome to the pool. I don't think the B pillar cameras are part of the dashcam/sentry group of cameras. Why do I say that? The view, the angle we see on my recent videos. Looks knee level and almost looking up.

So, if you can swap the side repeater even before your upgrade, you are ahead of the game. And if you do install the new ones, I'd leave them on and sell your old ones from a AP2.0 car. Recover part of your expense. Wow, that had to be at least a $500 cost to you. Bravo for the effort.

And I was thinking, don't yet mount the newer/AP2.5 front camera. Take the cover off the mounted on. Disconnect the cables, and see if you can attach the new one and temp affix it in place - maybe sandbags until you ca test it for color difference.

Just my two cents. Those part number match what I have seen. But "C" version on the LH side too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
@Akikiki congrats!

If you do swap your 2.0 RCCC cameras to 2.5 RCCB cameras, I'd like to hear about it. Thinking about the same idea myself.
I thought the HW2.5 fender camera is a RGB camera?? RCCB? Such a new term to me.

We had cracked the image of the Fender cameras (part number: 1125106-00-C, 1125107-00-B) today, and the image color were all blue. So I guess that's RCCC camera (HW 2.0 camera)

So far we can confirm the part number of fender camera could give full color image (I am not sure if it is RGB, but I can see green color on the screen) are:
- 1125106-77-B
- 1125107-77-C

Attachments

• blue rendered image 1125106-00-C.jpg
    blue rendered image 1125106-00-C.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: APotatoGod