Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it’s the issue with MCU1 since it may not support RCCB

Several Model S/X from August 2017 to March 2018 had MCU1 and Autopilot 2.5, which uses RCCB color filter array cameras. So we know for sure that MCU1 can handle the autopilotCameraType 2 parameter.

Your issue must be something else.

Fortunately you were able to make everything work again by reverting the setting; specially since you don't need to change anything for all the systems to work just fine.

Are you guys ready to rock the most gigantic chrome-deleted nearly winglet style design side repeater cameras EVER!!!!!!

tesla-model-s-refresh-side-repeater-cameras-1-322x697.jpeg
tesla-model-s-refresh-side-repeater-cameras-3-322x697.jpeg

Higher resolution images: Picture 1 and Picture 2

Source: Teslarati.

Several Model S/X from August 2017 to March 2018 had MCU1 and Autopilot 2.5, which uses RCCB color filter array cameras. So we know for sure that MCU1 can handle the autopilotCameraType 2 parameter.

Your issue must be something else.

Fortunately you were able to make everything work again by reverting the setting; specially since you don't need to change anything for all the systems to work just fine.
Agree. Thanks again!

I have MCU2 now, but back when I swapped all my cameras, I had MCU1 with the gateway config to 1.

Then Tesla upgraded my car to MCU2 and the FSD computer but kept the gateway config at 1.

A few months later, I did the radio retrofit myself, and since I had to enable the new digital tunner2, I also changed the gateway config to 2 while I was at it.

Regardless of the MCU version or the gateway config setting, I never had any issue with my GPS. Have you tried a full firmware redeploy?
Hi, I just got my MCU2 upgraded but cannot use the same method to change the gateway settings. Just wondering how did you make the change in MCU2? Does it require root access or any softwares? Thanks!

Just noticed we have new B-pillar and side repeaters for S and X now on Tesla's EPC.
Triple camera seems to still be the same.

1642010-00-A (Driver) and 1642011-00-A (Passenger) side repeaters.

They all seem to be restricted parts this time around... even the backup camera. :rolleyes:

Maybe new refresh side repeaters with higher resolution cameras or full color filters? At least they must be chrome deleted as we saw on the alleged "Test Mule" and to follow the Model Y and newer Model 3 trend? o_O
Wanted to jump in here... I have my car at Tesla right now for the MCU2 upgrade which they claim will also include the HW3 computer. I had asked them to order me the 1125107-00-E and 1125106-00-E marker cameras, as documented in a bunch of threads. They got back to me and suggested the part numbers you mentioned are now the current parts that they stock. I should have them in my hands tomorrow and will attempt the upgrade to see how it goes. They did confirm that they are NOT blacked out, and are chrome/black just like my existing marker cameras.

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I should have them in my hands tomorrow and will attempt the upgrade to see how it goes. They did confirm that they are NOT blacked out, and are chrome/black just like my existing marker cameras.
Awesome. Thanks for the info @jimmyz80!

Just yesterday I saw a side repeater with part number 1642011-00-A for sale on eBay, and you are right, they look exactly the same as the current chrome version.

Once you get them installed, please let us know if you see any noticable differences. I'm just guessing here, but I believe this will be the last iteration of these chrome side repeaters, as probably Tesla will only focus on the new Palladium ones that are definitely chrome deleted and enormous.

What I did noticed recently is that Tesla is now selling something called "Side Repeater Trim" in both chrome and carbon black. Maybe going forward, Tesla will be able to install the same side repeater hardware, but just change the trim cover depending on each vehicle configuration...
20210316_230707.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmyz80
Wanted to jump in here... I have my car at Tesla right now for the MCU2 upgrade which they claim will also include the HW3 computer. I had asked them to order me the 1125107-00-E and 1125106-00-E marker cameras, as documented in a bunch of threads. They got back to me and suggested the part numbers you mentioned are now the current parts that they stock. I should have them in my hands tomorrow and will attempt the upgrade to see how it goes. They did confirm that they are NOT blacked out, and are chrome/black just like my existing marker cameras.
A quick update. I got the car back today with my MCU2 + HW3 upgrade, along with the new camera parts. I installed them tonight and they appear to function properly, with better color rendering than my old 2.0 cameras. This is purely based on the cursory view of the inside of my garage lol. I clicked the button to recalibrate my cameras and will do some driving tomorrow in the day to see how the quality looks.

Ive gotta say, for a part with such simple clips they’re a real bitch to remove. I had to totally destroy one of my old cameras to get it out, even with both clips undone.

I thought I read that some modification was needed, but I haven't even see a walkthrough or any pictures. Do you have any information you can point me to?
I took some pictures but deleted them since no one asked for pictures when I posted it was done.
I had to grind off one small tab from the model 3. Whole swap took less than an hour including the grinding of the tab.

Just to follow up. I did this today with my 2016 AP2 Model X.
Swapped the triple cam from AP2 to a AP3 Model 3 11151448-00-B
Had to modify the camera a little bit by cutting off some plastic ears. Went right in with no hassle. Not sure if a software update is necassary, but I had 2020.48.35.5 waiting for me and updated after. I never calibrated the cameras, AutoPilot and Summons just worked.
Dashcam and sentry footage are much better now.
Bumping my step by step i posted