Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@hmidha, Look up on Youtube for some videos of how to remove the cameras. Here's instructions that I helped with. Camera Upgrade | TeslaTap Take steps to avoid risking your paint. Only take a few minutes, but don't rush and mess up your car.
Once you get them plugged in, check before you push them back into the fender. Make sure they seat properly, so you don't have to pull them again.

@Akikiki these instructions were very helpful. Thanks again. I installed the new right repeater camera (first time for any kind of car work). Will go out for a drive later today to see the difference (only replaced one).

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
89da9115-6dde-434f-88cd-19d47c11e2b7.jpg 94f3afd9-114c-4d9f-b697-c822b2728746.jpg
Wait. Wait until our in-house expert (I'm serious) @kdday figures it out for us and does it himself. No body better at this than him and @Ingineer

Can you figure out if the B-pillar cameras are as easily replaceable as the repeaters? These pics are from my MX last week when the ranger did the anti-condensation TSB on them.

If you don't mind me asking, how much were they? I have requested a price quote from my service center.
I think they were ~$150 each (including taxes) and are guaranteed to be brand new and the latest version. I only saw one 'new' one on eBay that had the latest part number. It was cheaper but we had already ordered both from Tesla.

I figure we'll be able to sell the old ones to offset ~50% of the cost.

Reactions: captjoemcd
If I order the new ones, I'll probably hold on to mine for a little while to make sure a future update doesn't break them. Especially since @kdday said there is an "autopilotCameraType" 1 and 2. You would think the setting has to be there for some purpose. It's great @Akikiki plugged them in, updated his software, didn't see any errors, and they still worked without changing the autopilotCameraType. Hopefully @kdday can get a pair and perform some more in-depth analysis.

If I order the new ones, I'll probably hold on to mine for a little while to make sure a future update doesn't break them. Especially since @kdday said there is an "autopilotCameraType" 1 and 2. You would think the setting has to be there for some purpose. It's great @Akikiki plugged them in, updated his software, didn't see any errors, and they still worked without changing the autopilotCameraType. Hopefully @kdday can get a pair and perform some more in-depth analysis.
It looks like there are several different variations of the cameras. For S/X, it looks like there have been at least 5 versions and then there's Model 3 and Model Y versions as well. I wonder if certain older versions aren't plug-and-play and new ones are. It would be interesting if someone could test multiple versions of the cameras and see which ones require configuration settings and which ones work fine without them.

If someone wants to send me various repeater cameras, I'd be happy to test and see which work. I could probably even send them back afterwards. ;)

My local SC confirmed the price of $130 each and said they would even install them both for $26.25. I asked if I decide to have Tesla install them would Tesla Mobile do it or would I need to bring it in? I also asked do they have to go into the system and change:

autopilotCameraType from 1 (AP 2.0 RCCC cameras) to 2 (AP2.5-3.0 RCCB cameras)?

I was told Mobile can do it and configure it accordingly.

@kdday, Hey, did this post to make sure you see #191 above.

@drew.c what in this world is going on with Tesla? I would not have guessed that they would do this and certainly would not make the configuration change. I mean, they would make the change for cameras? And won't make it for FM Radio. What they heck?

All they said was "configure it accordingly" which could be configuring nothing and it just works. I'll keep you posted if I get it done.

Reactions: Akikiki