Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered a Model 3 triple cam 11151448-00-B that I plan on swapping out of my AP2 car.
Sounds like I need to do the following?
  1. Wait for a software update
  2. Install tripple cam
  3. Update software

Is that correct?
Just to follow up. I did this today with my 2016 AP2 Model X.
Swapped the triple cam from AP2 to a AP3 Model 3 11151448-00-B
Had to modify the camera a little bit by cutting off some plastic ears. Went right in with no hassle. Not sure if a software update is necassary, but I had 2020.48.35.5 waiting for me and updated after. I never calibrated the cameras, AutoPilot and Summons just worked.
Dashcam and sentry footage are much better now.

Replaced my AP2.0 X '17 repeater cameras yesterday with the -Es (1125106-00-E, 1125107-00-E). Right (pass) worked. Left (driver) had issues.

Did the passenger side first as that is the way I had my wheels turned (ie. help get access to behind fender).
After that, I had to turn my wheels the other way and put it in R without thinking too much about it and cranked the wheels the other way.

Replaced my driver's side but it would not work and gave me the screen below. I dud the steer wheel reset. Nope. Did a 'power off' wait 2 min in seat reset. Nope.
Nothing worked. Took the camera out and verify no pins were bent and that it looked like a good connection. Carefully plugged back in. Did not work.

Plugged the old camera back in. Did not work. Plugged the new camera back in thinking I would need to go to service.

Cleaned up and put everything back together (fender lining, tools, etc). Changed clothes and was going to do the 'camera recalibration'
because nothing else was working. Came back out 10 minutes later, put the car in Reverse and the camera worked!

NUQ9glX.jpg

So how is everyone sourcing these cameras? Via Tesla or ebay or??? I've been looking for the B pillar cameras. So far no luck trying to find these online. It sucks you aren't able to order parts from Tesla via the web.

I got all of mine from a local salvage yard. Tesla doesn't sell the B pillar cameras on their own, they come attached to the whole glass assembly and it is quite expensive. You can order parts via the Tesla app, just open a service ticket and select "Other".

Personally, I have bought other Tesla parts from this eBay seller and I've been very pleased with his items. I'm sure he can source you a pair of B pillar cameras without a problem, just make sure you get the cameras with part number: 1069104-00-D.

Make sure to be extremely careful with the connector and the cable, as it tends to be very very fragile. I pulled a little to hard when removing my passenger side B pillar and I damaged the cable. I had to go to the Service Center and they replaced the whole cable that goes from the B pillar to the Autopilot computer above the glovebox.

So how is everyone sourcing these cameras? Via Tesla or ebay or??? I've been looking for the B pillar cameras. So far no luck trying to find these online. It sucks you aren't able to order parts from Tesla via the web.
Personally, I have bought other Tesla parts from this eBay seller and I've been very pleased with his items. ...
Good post on a good eBay seller. I bought my repeaters from Ebay and used this seller which has a very high rating.
cntpme26 on eBay

So I may have found someone who is an employee at Tesla. I gave them a huge part list and their reply was. Let me talk to my parts manager. So hopefully I'll be able to grab these cameras off of them. The side marker cameras may have made a difference if lane centering???? I'm not forced to move the wheel on my drive. Before the car would make minor adjustments and I would counter those to let my Tesla know I'm still there. I'm hoping the phantom braking will be reduced as well. My friend with his newer S does not seem to encounter phantom braking. Eitherway if it's cheap enough to upgrade the cameras then yolo

Hi, everyone!
Really great info in this post.
We have Model X 2016 with AP1.
We plan to retrofit AP3:
1. Upgrade to MCU 2
2. Retrofit Side Repeaters (1120520-00-B; 1125107-00-E)
3. Retrofit B Pillars with Cameras (Left and Right)
4. Retrofit Front Triple Camera (1120520-00-B)
Please advise whether Windshield should be replaced for a inline triple camera or could be retrofitted to AP1 without changing Windshield?
There is 1 radar in the Windshield so I do believe it won’t be possible just retrofit inline triple camera without replacing windshield?
Anyone can advise on radar part number?

Last edited:
Please advise whether Windshield should be replaced for a inline triple camera or could be retrofitted to AP1 without changing Windshield?
There is 1 radar in the Windshield so I do believe it won’t be possible just retrofit inline triple camera without replacing windshield?
Anyone can advise on radar part number?
  • You most likely can't upgrade AP1 to AP3. The car doesn't have the necessary wiring. All other camera upgrades discussed above were on cars that already had AP2 or AP2.5 hardware.
  • It is not necessary to replace the windshield when upgrading cameras.
  • The radar is behind the front bumper, not the windshield.

Is there anyone change the cameras settin.g from Type 1 RCCC to Type 2 RCCB in the system after replace if all cameras? If so, any issue after changing the setting?

I upgraded ALL cameras (minus the backup one) and had the gateway config internals.dat on 1 for a few months. Then I had it changed to 2, but I didn't see any noticeable changes to Autopilot behavior, image quality nor Sentry/Dashcam sensitivity. Videos are compressed and processed the exact same way to the USB drive regardless of the camera type on the gateway.

The change must modify something deeper within the code, which I'm not smart enough to determine by myself, but as I mentioned, I wasn't able to notice any user-facing differences. IMHO, there's no need to change the parameter for everything to work after the camera swap.

Last edited:
  • You most likely can't upgrade AP1 to AP3. The car doesn't have the necessary wiring. All other camera upgrades discussed above were on cars that already had AP2 or AP2.5 hardware.
  • It is not necessary to replace the windshield when upgrading cameras.
  • The radar is behind the front bumper, not the windshield.
Thank you! If it’s only the wiring issue, it can be solved easily by getting them from salvaged car. Except for the wiring seems possible so far.

I upgraded ALL cameras (minus the backup one) and had the gateway config internals.dat on 1 for a few months. Then I had it changed to 2, but I didn't see any noticeable changes to Autopilot behavior, image quality nor Sentry/Dashcam sensitivity. Videos are compressed and processed the exact same way to the USB drive regardless of the camera type on the gateway.

The change must modify something deeper within the code, which I'm not smart enough to determine by myself, but as I mentioned, I wasn't able to notice any user-facing differences. IMHO, there's no need to change the parameter for everything to work after the camera swap.
Thank you

Thanks. I mean changing the system setting after replacing all the cameras to RCCB

Like @Art_Vandelay , we never needed to change anything and the new cameras worked fine.

Reactions: Art VandeIay

Just wondering which version of MCU your car equipped? MCU1 or MCU2? Mine is MCU1 and I got the GPS location stuck after changing the gateway config to 2.

I have MCU2 now, but back when I swapped all my cameras, I had MCU1 with the gateway config to 1.

Then Tesla upgraded my car to MCU2 and the FSD computer but kept the gateway config at 1.

A few months later, I did the radio retrofit myself, and since I had to enable the new digital tunner2, I also changed the gateway config to 2 while I was at it.

Regardless of the MCU version or the gateway config setting, I never had any issue with my GPS. Have you tried a full firmware redeploy?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Krash and scottf200
I have MCU2 now, but back when I swapped all my cameras, I had MCU1 with the gateway config to 1.

Then Tesla upgraded my car to MCU2 and the FSD computer but kept the gateway config at 1.

A few months later, I did the radio retrofit myself, and since I had to enable the new digital tunner2, I also changed the gateway config to 2 while I was at it.

Regardless of the MCU version or the gateway config setting, I never had any issue with my GPS. Have you tried a full firmware redeploy?
Yes, I did redeploy the firmware but doesn’t work. I guess it’s the issue with MCU1 since it may not support RCCB. Once I changed the config back to type 1, the GOS works fine.