Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We checked with Tesla and they said the triple camera would be about $150, which is cheaper than any of the items I've seen on eBay. Since it is a restricted part, it can't be ordered directly and would require a tech to aim it (different from calibrating?) or Autopilot wouldn't work properly.

I didn’t get a price but asked my SC manager about the aiming- they set up a barcode-type target and adjust the aim manually to get it close by adjusting the mounting plate, then do the calibration. Usual charge is an hour of labor after a windshield replacement

Reactions: Akikiki
@verygreen tweeted about the targets used to calibrate the cameras at the end of the line in Fremont's famous tent a few months ago...

Also there was a picture rolling around of Giga China's calibration process as well:

npvm64hc79941.jpg

Finally installed my new triple color camera. Then I downloaded 2020.32.3 and went for a drive. The visualization was a little wonky for the stop lights. So I used the new recalibrate camera features and drove for about 6 miles and everything was calibrated. I like the little circle showing you how much more driving you need to do before it is completed.

Yes, I have more color now. It's much better than the old RCCC camera as everything looked grey with a hint of red. Now I get better red, yellow and blue colors, although the green is very washed out. To be expected from a RCCB camera.

The backup camera is still the best (full RGGB), followed by the side cameras (RCCB), and the front camera (RCCB) is just a little more washed out than the side cameras. Overall, I'm very happy with it and the dashcam/sentry recordings I get now.

Finally installed my new triple color camera. Then I downloaded 2020.32.3 and went for a drive. The visualization was a little wonky for the stop lights. So I used the new recalibrate camera features and drove for about 6 miles and everything was calibrated. I like the little circle showing you how much more driving you need to do before it is completed.

How difficult was the install, and how long did it take?

How difficult was the install, and how long did it take?
If I knew what I was doing it would have taken 15 min. But since I didn't, it took an hour. The most important thing is you need a T10 torx tool to remove about 12 identical screws.

This was for a Model X:
Step 1: Remove the small plastic cover around the mirror on the bottom side.
Step 2: Remove the rear view mirror by disconnecting the wire connector and twisting the mirror arm 90 degrees from the top of the arm.
See video:
Step 3: Remove the remaining plastic housing. Use a hard flat plastic tool to help.
Step 4: Remove various screws.
Step 5: The camera should be very loose now only connected by the connection wires.
Step 6: Disconnect the wires. This is a bit tricky. The two connectors on the left side are really one.
Step 7: Plug the wires into the new camera.
Step 8: Do everything in reverse to put it back together.
Step 9: Recalibrate the cameras if you have 2020.32.3

Weep. I just tried to install an AP2.5 1120520-00-B triple-camera on my model X AP2.0-MCU2-HW3.0. And it didn’t work. The whole camera system (except the rear camera) stopped working.
Tried to shutdown the car, rebooted MCU, reset calibration - none of them worked.
Plugged back the old camera, everything back to normal after turned off the car.

Plug the part 1120520-00-B that I’ve bought to the AP2.5 car, it worked well. Probably something need to be done behind it.

I don’t have root access - so didn’t know what the deep log says.

I might try again when I have a firmware update pending. Might be the camera needs new firmware for itself to work.

Weep. I just tried to install an AP2.5 1120520-00-B triple-camera on my model X AP2.0-MCU2-HW3.0. And it didn’t work. The whole camera system (except the rear camera) stopped working.
Tried to shutdown the car, rebooted MCU, reset calibration - none of them worked.
Plugged back the old camera, everything back to normal after turned off the car.

Plug the part 1120520-00-B that I’ve bought to the AP2.5 car, it worked well. Probably something need to be done behind it.

I don’t have root access - so didn’t know what the deep log says.

I might try again when I have a firmware update pending. Might be the camera needs new firmware for itself to work.
If you end up unsuccessful, I’ll be interested in your triple cam module.

I purchased the part 1132925-00-A (triple-cam for model 3). Then cut 3 mount parts that are dedicated for model 3/Y - It fitted the model S/X mount well.

The first time I plugged it in, everything worked well - this time I didn't mount the camera on to the windshield. But removed it & mounted it again. The camera system stopped working. Tried to reboot/turn off did everything but it didn't come back. The car didn't see lane, light all the way on.

Decided to do the firmware update to 2020.36.11, the camera worked!

So to be safe, makesure you have the firmware update before installing the triple-camera.