Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have an AP2.0 car now with HW3 retrofit. Have upgraded front tri-cam (1120520-00-B) repeater cams (1125107-00-E & 1125106-00-E), pillar cams (1069104-00-D) - basically all AP2.5 versions. However calibration won’t complete, it went to 99% (additional cameras calibrating) and after 150+ miles has gone back to 97% and crept back to 99% again. Tried town/city driving, motorway driving etc. but no joy. Any hints/tips?

For what it’s worth, I have this same exact problem after my MCU2/AP3 upgrade. 500+ city and highway miles and the calibration fluctuates in the high 90s. I did not upgrade my side repeater cameras like you.

still unresolved with a mobile ranger coming on Monday.

Thanks, but already done - 2020.36.11 update installed after swap, but no change. Dashcam and Sentry footage is a huge improvement and it chimes on green lights so pretty sure tricam is working.

Does anyone know whether it is the B pillars that are the “additional cameras” it mentions?
I did not replace my B pillar cameras and the calibration did 100% after about 6 miles of driving for my X.
So perhaps the "additional cameras" are the B pillar ones, but I'd be surprised if the software is even using those yet.

I did not replace my B pillar cameras and the calibration did 100% after about 6 miles of driving for my X.
So perhaps the "additional cameras" are the B pillar ones, but I'd be surprised if the software is even using those yet.
Thanks, ended up taking the car apart again to look at the logs - the car does use the B pillars, but it was the tricam additional cameras it wasn’t happy about, and totally my mistake/screw up in not keeping the existing mounting plate when I swapped them. The salvage car it came from must have been a Model S rather than X, so the pitch was wrong. All now working perfectly with AP2.5 cams all round; recalibrated really quickly after sorting the mount.

I did the AP2 to AP3 repeater cam swap today. I did them with the car on so I could verify the camera views when plugged in. I did have to power down the car and let it sit for 2 minutes to get the camera feed to come back. I did this twice, once for each camera and it was a painless swap.

Attachments

• IMG_7673.jpeg
    IMG_7673.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I did the AP2 to AP3 repeater cam swap today. I did them with the car on so I could verify the camera views when plugged in. I did have to power down the car and let it sit for 2 minutes to get the camera feed to come back. I did this twice, once for each camera and it was a painless swap.

Make sure you click the 'Camera Recalibration' option under 'Service' on the touchscreen.

• Helpful
I don't think this is needed for the repeaters. I have no plans on the recalibration. will do it if need to and post an update. Auto pilot works just as it did.

When the mobile tech installed my right repeater, he asked me how I recalibrated the left repeater after I replaced it. I told him it was a new option under Service on the touchscreen. He was going to hook up his notebook PC to initiate the recalibration so I assume it is recommended. It doesn't hurt to do it other than you have to drive approx. 20-25 miles before AP functions are available.

When the mobile tech installed my right repeater, he asked me how I recalibrated the left repeater after I replaced it. I told him it was a new option under Service on the touchscreen. He was going to hook up his notebook PC to initiate the recalibration so I assume it is recommended. It doesn't hurt to do it other than you have to drive approx. 20-25 miles before AP functions are available.
We didn't do any recalibration and both cameras and AP worked right away.

Where are people getting the side AP cameras?
I had found one right repeater (new) on ebay a while back (2+ months ago), but hadn't seen any new ones pop up on ebay. I still need a left one for my S. Had tried calling all 3 service centers in Boston, and left voicemails multiple times at the parts department, but never heard anything back from them.

We didn't do any recalibration and both cameras and AP worked right away.
It's definitely needed if you replace the front tri-camera. The camera will work, but what it sees is a bit out of sync. The stoplights at intersections were very wonky. Once the calibration was done, then the stoplights looked very stable. This may be because of the three cameras versus the one, but in any case its probably best to recalibrate for the autopilot software to work at its peak effectiveness.

Where are people getting the side AP cameras?
I had found one right repeater (new) on ebay a while back (2+ months ago), but hadn't seen any new ones pop up on ebay. I still need a left one for my S. Had tried calling all 3 service centers in Boston, and left voicemails multiple times at the parts department, but never heard anything back from them.
We wanted ours right away instead of trying to find a deal on eBay. We ordered both from the local Service Center.

It's definitely needed if you replace the front tri-camera. The camera will work, but what it sees is a bit out of sync. The stoplights at intersections were very wonky. Once the calibration was done, then the stoplights looked very stable. This may be because of the three cameras versus the one, but in any case its probably best to recalibrate for the autopilot software to work at its peak effectiveness.

Yeah, we haven't attempted replacing the tri-camera yet. Maybe some day!

• Helpful
Possible future upgrade to Tesla's Autopilot sensors:

Upgraded radar can enable self-driving cars to see clearly no matter the weather

A new kind of radar could make it possible for self-driving cars to navigate safely in bad weather. Electrical engineers at the University of California San Diego developed a clever way to improve the imaging capability of [doubled] existing radar sensors so that they accurately predict the shape and size of objects in the scene. The system worked well when tested at night and in foggy conditions.

The team will present their work at the Sensys conference Nov. 16 to 19....

The system consists of two radar sensors placed on the hood and spaced an average car's width apart (1.5 meters). Having two radar sensors arranged this way is key -- they enable the system to see more space and detail than a single radar sensor.

During test drives on clear days and nights, the system performed as well as a LiDAR sensor at determining the dimensions of cars moving in traffic. Its performance did not change in tests simulating foggy weather. The team "hid" another vehicle using a fog machine and their system accurately predicted its 3D geometry. The LiDAR sensor essentially failed the test....

The team is now working with Toyota to fuse the new radar technology with cameras. The researchers say this could potentially replace LiDAR.​

If there is a better Radar there is no reason for Tesla to not use it. But it will split their dataset into two different sensor suites. Technically they already have different sensor suites as they have different car models with different camera positions. My guess is that Tesla intends to use data from all different configurations as if it were the same. This will force the neural network to learn how a pedestrian looks like from a side camera in a Semi and from a fish eye camera in a Model 3. This also has the benefit of making the network more robust to uncommon situations. Their new 4D rewrite will make this task so much easier, the labelers just label 4D point clouds and the neural networks learns to use whatever input it gets to predict the labels.

But it will make some older cars worse than newer cars at detecting objects, for example partially occluded stop signs at 100m distance might be detected with a 2019 Model 3 HW3 and old Radar 90% of the times and in a 2021 Cybertruck with HW4 and new Radar 95% of the time. But at least new data from newer Radars will improve the performance of the older system.

Anybody have their repeater cams die under the current 2020.48.30 FW - both of mine died shortly after FW upgrade (couple days) and day after touchless car wash (both went at same time with 1 hour of each other). See spinning wheel of death for both cams when initiating camera viewer even after multiple reboots/resets/pulling of 12V terminal.

Can’t get into SC until Jan 22 at earliest.

Anybody have their repeater cams die under the current 2020.48.30 FW - both of mine died shortly after FW upgrade (couple days) and day after touchless car wash (both went at same time with 1 hour of each other). See spinning wheel of death for both cams when initiating camera viewer even after multiple reboots/resets/pulling of 12V terminal.

Can’t get into SC until Jan 22 at earliest.
I've had 48.30 since 12-31-2020 and no issues with AP3 repeater cams. they both work fine.

• Helpful
Now the side repeater cameras for S and X are 1495866-00-A and 1495867-00-A (with revision A)

Just noticed we have new B-pillar and side repeaters for S and X now on Tesla's EPC.
Triple camera seems to still be the same.

1642010-00-A
(Driver) and 1642011-00-A (Passenger) side repeaters.

They all seem to be restricted parts this time around... even the backup camera. :rolleyes:

Maybe new refresh side repeaters with higher resolution cameras or full color filters? At least they must be chrome deleted as we saw on the alleged "Test Mule" and to follow the Model Y and newer Model 3 trend? o_O

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker