Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does a camera upgrade do anything except make the dashcam/sentry recordings look nicer?
That's the main reason I want to upgrade, since I already upgraded the fender cams and now the front-facing video looks like crap in comparison. I suspect most of the neural network training will take place on video frames from the newer cameras, since there's just simply a lot more of them in the real world. So I would think that the inference process would be more accurate with the newer cameras, providing more similar images to the neural network. I could be entirely wrong though, lol.

Are the tabs that needed cutting visible in this photo and you can just highlight or explain what you had to do? I don't believe the S/X version has the "arms" on each side.
1616456403039.png

Are the tabs that needed cutting visible in this photo and you can just highlight or explain what you had to do? I don't believe the S/X version has the "arms" on each side.
View attachment 647113
Correct the tabs on the side are what need to be cut off. You could break them off, but I used a hacksaw blade and it cut through the plastic in 15 seconds. After you cut the tabs off, you just unbolt the metal bracket from the S/X and swap the Model 3 bracket out. Hardest part is not breaking the connectors when you pull off the connectors to the video cameras.

Reactions: jimmyz80
Correct the tabs on the side are what need to be cut off. You could break them off, but I used a hacksaw blade and it cut through the plastic in 15 seconds. After you cut the tabs off, you just unbolt the metal bracket from the S/X and swap the Model 3 bracket out. Hardest part is not breaking the connectors when you pull off the connectors to the video cameras.
Awesome, thanks! I see the Model 3 cam also has an additional mounting "socket" on top for an adjustment that the S/X doesn't have. Did you have to trim that off as well, or does it just tuck out of the way when installed?

Awesome, thanks! I see the Model 3 cam also has an additional mounting "socket" on top for an adjustment that the S/X doesn't have. Did you have to trim that off as well, or does it just tuck out of the way when installed?
Happen to have a picture of that? I did do something else to get the M3 profile of the triple cam to match the S/X, but it was very minor...

So I got my Model 3 triple camera from eBay and installed it tonight. I took a slightly different approach; I removed the four screws on the back of the camera unit and just swapped the old backplate onto the new camera. Thus avoiding having to cut any tabs off. It appears to work since it records dashcam video, and the camera alignment process completed. But when I enable autopilot, I get a message that autopilot is unavailable and "camera alignment is required".

Is there any way to tell if I just need to drive more, or if maybe a firmware upgrade will help, or if I just need to get help from the service center? Has anyone else encountered this message after a camera upgrade?

I can't be much help with this, but I had to get a headlight replaced last week. After the mobile service guy changed out the headlight, he pushed new firmware to the car. He told me that was because the firmware had to "register" the new headlight. The firmware version was the exact same version I already had in my car, so I assume during the firmware installation process there is something done to initialize the hardware on the car.

That may be all you need to do to get the camera working. You could probably just wait until the next firmware release, or if your impatient, get the service center to push it to your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
So I got my Model 3 triple camera from eBay and installed it tonight. I took a slightly different approach; I removed the four screws on the back of the camera unit and just swapped the old backplate onto the new camera. Thus avoiding having to cut any tabs off. It appears to work since it records dashcam video, and the camera alignment process completed. But when I enable autopilot, I get a message that autopilot is unavailable and "camera alignment is required".

Is there any way to tell if I just need to drive more, or if maybe a firmware upgrade will help, or if I just need to get help from the service center? Has anyone else encountered this message after a camera upgrade?
Multiple people have said you should swap the triple camera when you have a pending software update. That's what I did and had no issues. I almost swapped the back housing like you did

Well I got the car back and now AP is working properly again. They did install a new -1.2 degree camera mounting plate, just like that TSB document suggested may be necessary. Now I have a new problem though.... With the camera pointed more downward, it now "sees" the fuzzy glareshield piece and about the bottom 10% of my dashcam videos are just a black bar. Per the TSB, when they install the new camera mount, they're also supposed to install a revised version of the glareshield part, which I'm guessing doesn't interfere with the camera's field of view. I checked my part, and it's not one of the recommended revisions, so Tesla clearly just left the old one in there. I'm checking with them to see if they can install the new glareshield part, or at least just sell me one. :/

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hi, everyone!
Really great info in this post.
We have Model X 2016 with AP1.
We plan to retrofit AP3:
1. Upgrade to MCU 2
2. Retrofit Side Repeaters (1120520-00-B; 1125107-00-E)
3. Retrofit B Pillars with Cameras (Left and Right)
4. Retrofit Front Triple Camera (1120520-00-B)
Please advise whether Windshield should be replaced for a inline triple camera or could be retrofitted to AP1 without changing Windshield?
There is 1 radar in the Windshield so I do believe it won’t be possible just retrofit inline triple camera without replacing windshield?
Anyone can advise on radar part number?
Curious if you have made any progress on this?

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase some repeater cameras over the counter here in Australia.
Can anyone confirm these are the current or latest and that they will work on a July 2017 Model X?

1642010-00-A: LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH - Model X Sep 2015 - Feb 2021
1642011-00-A: LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH - Model X Sep 2015 - Feb 2021

Thank-you

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm these are the current or latest and that they will work on a July 2017 Model X?

Thank-you

You can check for yourself on Tesla's EPC using your Tesla Account credentials.

Some parts are region dependent/specific, so you'll have to check for yourself, but the North America parts catalog confirms that the part numbers you listed are the current side repeaters for the pre-Palladiun Model X's like your 2017.

Hi all,

Thank-you
If you want black ones, I put theses on my 11/16 build Model S Upgrading AP cameras

Reactions: mikes_fsd
That's the main reason I want to upgrade, since I already upgraded the fender cams and now the front-facing video looks like crap in comparison. I suspect most of the neural network training will take place on video frames from the newer cameras, since there's just simply a lot more of them in the real world. So I would think that the inference process would be more accurate with the newer cameras, providing more similar images to the neural network. I could be entirely wrong though, lol.
I don't think the color is a factor here, except for the red one (most likely everything is summed up to enhance sensitivity, specially at night). So I would say the only advantage is eye candy (actually you lose some sensitivity at night by going from RCCC to RGGB).

From the security point of view, you might have more chances of identifying someone in your sentry mode recordings if you have the right colors, though. But I was planning to do this, and in the end I though it was too expensive and not worth it.

Reactions: jimmyz80