TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Upgrading AWD

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nb1277, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Nb1277

Nb1277 Member

As AWD and P use the same motors, inverters etc. (only differences are lot sorting and testing) are there technical limitations to Tesla offering a paid upgrade to Performance after delivery?

2. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

I think the sorting and testing is critical. Same reason Intel and AMD don't offer software upgrades to increase CPU frequencies.

3. D3xDt3Reaction

Good analogy, but then again, you can overclock Intel and AMD CPUs. I wonder if Tesla could offer such an upgrade at the owner’s risk if their concern is one of future reliability. Also may depends on how much variance there is in their inverters, etc. If 2 sigma from the mean hardly makes a difference then their sorting may also not make much difference.

4. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

True. Maybe a future "uncorking" will improve the LR AWD 0-60mph to around 4 seconds. A nice bump but still differentiates it from the P version.

5. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

I don't think a software upgrade to P is out of the question. The hardware is the same, "selection" and "burning in" notwithstanding.

6. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Or maybe even a hardware upgrade if there's a significant difference between the motors. Tesla swaps out motors for warranty purposes all the time. Much easier than swapping out a gasoline engine. Maybe they could charge $25000 for the upgrade ($5000 or so more than getting a P upfront).

7. scrapps

scrapps Member

I've been looking for a place to plug in my Cobb Accessport in, but have so far been unsuccessful.

• Funny x 2
  8. Mayhem

Mayhem Professional F5 Presser

There is motor selection and 'burn in' as tweeted by Tesla's CEO. BUT that doesn't mean that's the extent of it. I'm willing to be there is a lot more going on that only Tesla engineers know about. If someone is considering AWD in hopes of getting P performance, they should just get P. Tesla does have to keep product stratification (via software throttling if needed) to maintain high margins revenue.

9. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

The motors are already the same motors.

But we don't know, for sure, that there's no other HW differences that allow higher discharge rates between the batteries and the motor.... (on the S for example it's the fuse and contactor)

10. kengchang

kengchang Member

I thought P use carbide inverter? That's different from regular AWD

11. D3xDt3Reaction

Both use SiC inverters.

Twitter

12. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

What doesn't make sense to me is that 3.5s is only 46% faster than 5.1s. So if they're using the same rear motor and controller as the LR then the front motor just has to be about half the power of the rear motor to achieve the performance 0-60 time. There's no need for a better rear motor or controller at all.
    I think the binned motor thing might be mostly BS.
    Are we sure they're not putting a smaller rear motor in the regular AWD like they did with the S?

13. D3xDt3Reaction

Maybe but it seems likely that Tesla would rather keep the production line as similar as possible in this case.

14. kengchang

kengchang Member

For the Performance, not AWD.

15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Until Tesla can make the S faster, it makes sense to antisell the 3. Meaning closer to 3 than 3.5 is the true performance.

After all, the Model 3 P is HALF the price of a P100D.

16. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Agreed. Elon said maybe they can make the 3P a little faster. If that means 0.1 seconds, and then possibly with rollout (since Elon didn’t say 3.5 seconds with rollout) being another 0.2 seconds, the 3P might actually hit 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds on the drag strip. That’s the same acceleration as the original P85D insane.

• Like x 1
  17. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

They can't really make the S faster from 0-60 though. They're pretty much at the traction limit unless they start shipping it with drag racing tires. I would like to see a manufacturer try some sort of active downforce like a fan to suck the car towards the ground...
    So you think they might unlock more performance later?

18. D3xDt3Reaction

I think they are the same - if you take a look at the configurator the picture is identical for both.

19. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

I suppose they could do a cost down in the future but for now they want the production simplicity of a single rear motor design. That would mean that the AWD is severely nerfed unless we are to believe that the front motor is only 10% of the power the rear. Though I suppose that wouldn't be a crazy design if your primary goal is snow and ice traction.

20. D3xDt3Reaction

Yep, I think it’s nerfed, and I think even the P is nerfed.

• Like x 1