Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As AWD and P use the same motors, inverters etc. (only differences are lot sorting and testing) are there technical limitations to Tesla offering a paid upgrade to Performance after delivery?

They use the same Motors, but not the same inverters exactly. Silicon carbide inverter on performance model are hand picked, longer burnin . I'm sure after thousands of hours of reliability testing they may allow an uncorking like they did on the S75D for normal AWD

Last edited:
They use the same Motors, but not the same inverters exactly. Silicon carbide inverter on performance model are hand picked, longer burnin . I'm sure after thousands of hours of reliability testing they may allow an uncorking like they did on the S75D for normal AWD
Yes. To be precise, the P and AWD inverters are probably the same part number, except that the P inverters are the best of the best from a given lot of parts.

Reactions: smythey
Yes. To be precise, the P and AWD inverters are probably the same part number, except that the P inverters are the best of the best from a given lot of parts.

AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.
AWD does not use silicon carbide inverter, why would they use more expensive part for regular AWD?

AWD does not use silicon carbide inverter, why would they use more expensive part for regular AWD?
I think they would use the same part to avoid even more expense due to: 1) Switching costs on the production line to install a different part, 2) Cost to manage another part in the supply chain, 3) Cost to support another part in the finished product. Did you have a different read on Elon’s tweet?

I think they would use the same part to avoid even more expense due to: 1) Switching costs on the production line to install a different part, 2) Cost to manage another part in the supply chain, 3) Cost to support another part in the finished product. Did you have a different read on Elon’s tweet?

There's already existing inverter for the RWD, Tesla can just use that? Why does a regular AWD need Silicon Carbide inverter?

Elon, I suppose this will be answered one way or another eventually, but many in the Tesla community are curious of what the physical setup of Performance in particular is, i.e. is it one smaller PM motor & one larger PM, or a large induction motor in the rear and a PM in front?

AC induction front & switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet rear. Silicon Carbide inverters in both. Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.

Elon is clearly talking about Performance Model having Silicon Carbide Inverter in Front and Back.

They can't really make the S faster from 0-60 though. They're pretty much at the traction limit unless they start shipping it with drag racing tires. I would like to see a manufacturer try some sort of active downforce like a fan to suck the car towards the ground...
So you think they might unlock more performance later?

The S as a whole will likely be improved. If they can't make it faster they will have to give it better interior, better toys, etc.

The 3 at any trim level is too much range, too much performance for much less money than the S.

There's already existing inverter for the RWD, Tesla can just use that? Why does a regular AWD need Silicon Carbide inverter?
Why does the performance need a special inverter? That's the real question. It makes no sense that it would need one if it is just 50% more powerful. All you need to do is just add a motor in the front and use the same rear motor and controller.
Binning and silicon lottery is a real feature. Best example is AMD CPUs.
This is true but CPUs have nanometer feature size. Is there really much variation in power transistors? I doubt it.

Why does the performance need a special inverter? That's the real question. It makes no sense that it would need one if it is just 50% more powerful. All you need to do is just add a motor in the front and use the same rear motor and controller.

Not according to Elon Musk and the engineering team thus why they are using Silicon Carbide inverter for the Performance Model 3? or are you doubting Tesla design team's decision?

Not according to Elon Musk and the engineering team thus why they are using Silicon Carbide inverter for the Performance Model 3? or are you doubting Tesla design team's decision?

Both the AWD and Performance models have the same inverters and motors per Elon's tweet.

What if all the motors are really good from prosucprod and there is no real variation between the AWD and the performance motors?

I already quoted Elon's tweet couple posts above, he was answering question on the performance not AWD

That's not how I read his tweet. He said the drive units are hand picked for highest sigma for the performance version.

Drive unit to me is both the motor and inverter.

Someone needs to ask him again to clarify because I thing the consensus is that both the AWD and Performance have the same units

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
That's not how I read his tweet. He said the drive units are hand picked for highest sigma for the performance version.

Drive unit to me is both the motor and inverter.

Someone needs to ask him again to clarify because I thing the consensus is that both the AWD and Performance have the same units
I don't see how this tweet infer to regular AWD

Screenshot_20180605-074720_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see how this tweet infer to regular AWD

It's twitter so everything is speculation, but you can interpret his sentences in two ways.

1) All three sentences are directly answering the question from Ryan about Performance. Evidence for this is because his next post lists additional items that are definitely exclusive to Performance. I.e. seems to be a continuation of the tweet about performance.
2) The first and second sentence is continuing his earlier post listing general things about "Working on dual motor AWD & Performance versions..." while the third sentence alone is answering the question from Ryan. Evidence for this is that he specifically calls out Performance in the third sentence but not in the first and second. I.e. seems to be two separate "thoughts" in one tweet.

IMO, doesn't matter. Even if motors and inverters are the "same", Tesla could offer a software upgrade from AWD to P, but it either won't or it'll be so expensive it wouldn't make any sense to do it. At most, Tesla might uncork the AWD a little more down the road, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 seconds quicker. But don't expect a free or cheap upgrade from AWD to P.

For the Performance, not AWD.

Nope

Elon Musk said:

The AWD and Performance use the same drive unit (which is motor and inverter)

If they didn't his second sentence wouldn't make any sense at all.

What would they be "sorting" if the actual unit wasn't the same part as the AWD?

Not exactly. I think all Model 3s have silicon carbide inverters. They're the most efficient power transistors. I'm questioning whether the rear drive unit actually has more power in the performance Model 3.
The AWD and Performance use the same drive unit (which is motor and inverter)

If they didn't his second sentence wouldn't make any sense at all.

What would they be "sorting" if the actual unit wasn't the same part as the AWD?
I think you are probably correct but the sorting could be of LR Model 3 drive units. That's what they did for the S, they added a smaller motor up front and kept the larger rear motor of the RWD version. Then for regular D they used the new smaller motor in the back as well.