Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading Brake Pads for Plaid - Racing Brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

I can't believe that I ran out of brakes on the street....don't know why. I am certainly swapping out the fluid but I ordered some more aggressive pads from Racing Brake yesterday.

The pad lining is 54mm vs. the OEM pad of 42 mm. Racing Brake also has a pad and rotor package as well. See here: ROTOR, PAD, BRAKE KIT - SELECT VEHICLE - TESLA - PLAID & LR (2021+) - RB Performance Brakes

I have not associated any compensation nor am I associated with Racing Brake. They have been very responsive to questions and very professional.

Happy Braking!

Hey folks,

I can't believe that I ran out of brakes on the street....don't know why. I am certainly swapping out the fluid but I ordered some more aggressive pads from Racing Brake yesterday.

The pad lining is 54mm vs. the OEM pad of 42 mm. Racing Brake also has a pad and rotor package as well. See here: ROTOR, PAD, BRAKE KIT - SELECT VEHICLE - TESLA - PLAID & LR (2021+) - RB Performance Brakes

I have not associated any compensation nor am I associated with Racing Brake. They have been very responsive to questions and very professional.

Happy Braking!
Do you have a phone number for them?

Worst possible customer service you can imagine as soon as they do anything wrong. Pads are working, rotors are unscrewing and very noisy.

Can you elaborate, how long have you had them, what car are they on, do you track your car...?

I got mine(pads & 2pc rotors) 3yrs ago and I haven't had any issues. I don't track my car.

Can you elaborate, how long have you had them, what car are they on, do you track your car...?

I got mine(pads & 2pc rotors) 3yrs ago and I haven't had any issues. I don't track my car.
If you don't track them, you don't need them. But after the first track day all nuts lost their torque and they don't hold the ring anymore. And those nuts are single time use, you can't retorque them back.

And rotor slots are made in such a shape that front and rear both make a lot of low frequency grunt noise during hard braking.

I owned them enough to sell to a guy who don't plan to track his car ever. I still have rear ones and need to make custom hats for AP rings, because noise is too annoying. The car is M3P.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
I toasted my brakes at Gingerman Raceway last weekend just after a few 10min sessions. I did basic prep like fluid and removing dust shields (there was air in the system from factory). I didn’t expect much from factory brakes, but the pads and rotors have the same quality as autozone budget brakes or a base corolla. Not surprised that you did not have brakes at one point, even on the street. For the power, the plaid deserves much better brakes. I’m working with G-Loc brakes to get me a proper set of pads and ordering through my shop RCA Garage. Have used them for a very long time for all my track setups. Now just need to source a proper set of rotors….

Attachments

• E925A42F-5265-44E0-B908-3A7A07B3C1A1.jpeg
    E925A42F-5265-44E0-B908-3A7A07B3C1A1.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 483
  • 4EA057E2-5FE6-448C-9D53-03A3B39A96E6.jpeg
    4EA057E2-5FE6-448C-9D53-03A3B39A96E6.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 189
I toasted my brakes at Gingerman Raceway last weekend just after a few 10min sessions. I did basic prep like fluid and removing dust shields (there was air in the system from factory). I didn’t expect much from factory brakes, but the pads and rotors have the same quality as autozone budget brakes or a base corolla. Not surprised that you did not have brakes at one point, even on the street. For the power, the plaid deserves much better brakes. I’m working with G-Loc brakes to get me a proper set of pads and ordering through my shop RCA Garage. Have used them for a very long time for all my track setups. Now just need to source a proper set of rotors….
I used to track my Acura RSX Type-S at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla. I had a Stoptech 4 Piston BBK. I always ran out of balls before I ran out of brakes. That's pretty crazy that you were able to cook your brakes in a few sessions.

It might be worth e-mailing Stoptech and see if they can customize a big brake kit for you. Hard part is probably getting a bracket fabricated/customized to hold the caliper to the OEM holes. Stoptech uses Porsche shaped pads so you get a lot of different options for pads (i.e. street, clubsport, race, etc...).

I used to track my Acura RSX Type-S at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla. I had a Stoptech 4 Piston BBK. I always ran out of balls before I ran out of brakes. That's pretty crazy that you were able to cook your brakes in a few sessions.

It might be worth e-mailing Stoptech and see if they can customize a big brake kit for you. Hard part is probably getting a bracket fabricated/customized to hold the caliper to the OEM holes. Stoptech uses Porsche shaped pads so you get a lot of different options for pads (i.e. street, clubsport, race, etc...).
Stoptech does make great kits! Will definitely need to explore that option.

Stoptech does make great kits! Will definitely need to explore that option.
SEMA (Las Vegas) is next week. If you can get a badge, might be a good way to ask vendors if they can make a BBK for your car, haha.

(In the 2000s, I been to like 4-5 SEMAs.)

Worst possible customer service you can imagine as soon as they do anything wrong. Pads are working, rotors are unscrewing and very noisy.
I was directed by a few of our Tesla customers to this brief yet serious accusation, so I am hoping you can provide us more detail on your original order, and your correspondence with us reporting the hardware issue that could have allowed us to make it right.

Meantime please allow us to present our two piece rotor hardware in design, material, construction and functionality. So that Telsa members interested in a light weight two piece rotor can have a better understanding how they are consisted of.

RB exclusive design of mechanical "self" locking hardware (M6)

New hardware After torqued to 110 in-lbs

IMG_5207.JPG

-rb-hardware-2.png.jpg

Shinning threads exhibit the nut effectively bite into the thread permanently so you don't have to worry about what grade of Loctite to use, and how long it's going to hold.

Final rotor assembly (Plaid front stock replacement 380x32mm)

-2679.jpg

RB self-locking design w/o using Loctite like most of others, so it can ensure the assembly retains consistent torque during the life of the rotor at any braking temperature.

2pc-fastener.PNG
fk1-assembly.PNG

Illustration of disc movement (sliding) during heat expansion & contraction:

fk1-expansion.jpg

RB rotors assembly uses less piece of hardware (2 ea) than the traditional surface mount assembly with multiple pieces (3+), resulting a 2D "Sliding" movement during heat cycles vs. traditional 3D "Floating" design, with the advantage of more effective brake torque transmittal (no slippage) and "No" noise as opposed to the common knowledge of others' "Floating" rotors.

We set a new standard of building a better two piece rotor that you can see and understand why.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and impastu
Complete brake upgrade option for Plaid:

Standard iron brakes:

Carbon ceramic brakes:

The BBK is developed for dedicated tracking or hardcore competition racing with 420x34/390x28mm rotors (both iron and CCB).

Front kit is equipped with RB6L track duty calipers, same as our offer for OE/Brembo "direct replacement*" caliper upgrade for Nissan GTR, Porsche 911, McLaren (570S/720S), Mustang GT350/GT500

*Direct mount to OE spindle w/o using bracket or adapters.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16

I think is foolish to take a Plaid to the road course knowing that the stock brakes are not capable of track time and putting other people in danger and then complain about something that everyone and their mom knows.

Reactions: bhzmark
Well, theory is one thing, practice is another.

Practice is that all 4 rotors lost torque after track use and they are single-time use. Price for the new set of nuts is high and there is no warranty on them, surprise.

My kit was sold to the guy who don't plan to track the car ever. But before that I was required to clean up forum from my complaints otherwise I wouldn't get proper rotor hats to even fit rotors on hubs in the first place. In the process I was ignored in email and yelled over the phone.

I have no idea why RB didn't just change a brand name considering how devastating Google history of that name. But it certainly helps consumers to not make a mistake and easily see that 3d floating rotors are not up to the task for more than a decade on multiple platforms.

No amount of CAD pictures with arrows can fix the reality of actual results. I think with more than 10 years of customer complaints it was possible to fix it, but decision was made to just post pictures instead, like anyone has any idea about mechanical engineering on car forums.

Oh, and I wasn't a fan of amount of flex in calipers either, but at least they were functional even if pedal was soft.

Reactions: MattMac
I think is foolish to take a Plaid to the road course knowing that the stock brakes are not capable of track time and putting other people in danger and then complain about something that everyone and their mom knows.

I am sorry, but you are incorrect with your assessment. This was simply a (controlled) shakedown of a stock car at the track to see what it lacks to enjoy it for what it was advertised to do. Not sure if the moms saw this official video

or the countless quarter mile claims from Tesla that will put a lot of strain on the brakes as well. Not looking to get into an armchair philosophy argument, simply providing valuable and actual data. Did you have data or resources proving that the stock brake system on the Plaid is meant to only go to the grocery store?

Complete brake upgrade option for Plaid:

Standard iron brakes:

Carbon ceramic brakes:

The BBK is developed for dedicated tracking or hardcore competition racing with 420x34/390x28mm rotors (both iron and CCB).

Front kit is equipped with RB6L track duty calipers, same as our offer for OE/Brembo "direct replacement*" caliper upgrade for Nissan GTR, Porsche 911, McLaren (570S/720S), Mustang GT350/GT500

*Direct mount to OE spindle w/o using bracket or adapters.
Excited to see that there are BBK options already!

I am sorry, but you are incorrect with your assessment. This was simply a (controlled) shakedown of a stock car at the track to see what it lacks to enjoy it for what it was advertised to do. Not sure if the moms saw this official video

or the countless quarter mile claims from Tesla that will put a lot of strain on the brakes as well. Not looking to get into an armchair philosophy argument, simply providing valuable and actual data. Did you have data or resources proving that the stock brake system on the Plaid is meant to only go to the grocery store?

Advertised to do? I keep looking at the tesla.com and I fail to see anywhere that it states that this car is track ready. A street car overheating the stock brakes at track; wow I never heard of such thing before. There is already multiple reviews stating that the brakes on the Plaid will overheat and we already had one guy crash one at the road course because the brakes failed. I am not sure what your so called valuable data proves since we already know that the braking system needs to be upgraded. And again per Tesla website I think you should be fine if you go to the dragstrip since it is advertised as the quickest accelerating production electric car able to provide consistent back to back 1/4 mile runs.

Advertised to do? I keep looking at the tesla.com and I fail to see anywhere that it states that this car is track ready. A street car overheating the stock brakes at track; wow I never heard of such thing before. There is already multiple reviews stating that the brakes on the Plaid will overheat and we already had one guy crash one at the road course because the brakes failed. I am not sure what your so called valuable data proves since we already know that the braking system needs to be upgraded. And again per Tesla website I think you should be fine if you go to the dragstrip since it is advertised as the quickest accelerating production electric car able to provide consistent back to back 1/4 mile runs.
Again, the ring record run was done with a car fresh off the factory floor by Tesla. If that is not advertising, not sure what is. That track is very hard on every car component including the brakes. Don't like my data about the brakes lasting three 10min sessions for the OP to justify his concerns, move on, thanks for the feedback. I don't believe the stock brake system is sufficient enough to do consistent drag strip runs back to back based on experience, but I'm sure we will know soon enough.

Reactions: MattMac and RB_PB
Again, the ring record run was done with a car fresh off the factory floor by Tesla. If that is not advertising, not sure what is. That track is very hard on every car component including the brakes. Don't like my data about the brakes lasting three 10min sessions for the OP to justify his concerns, move on, thanks for the feedback. I don't believe the stock brake system is sufficient enough to do consistent drag strip runs back to back based on experience, but I'm sure we will know soon enough.

I already taken mine to the drag strip and many others; we are good. The Tesla plaid channel already has close to 50 passes if not more and over 1000 passes of experience.

Reactions: MadKuma