Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading Brake Pads for Plaid - Racing Brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I vaguely remember a TV series that followed a season of amateurs racing Mustang GT's I think? At one point several of the drivers complained that the Brembos they were using weren't up to the task as they overcooked them. Except not everyone did... The more experienced drivers were faster and had no trouble with the brakes. Now, I'm not claiming that the Plaid brakes are race ready, but destroying the brakes in 3 10 minute sessions may have something to do with driving style? No brakes are infallible.

Reactions: MattMac and impastu
Hi Everyone!

Just a little notice that we have rotors in development and they will be available before the next track season. Hang in there!! We'll have more to share soon :)

Awesome to see the Plaid being used for more than just straight-line fun!

Is this true MountainPass?

Turns out the tration control uses the brakes so they heat up faster the harder you corner. Sucks for sure.

Reactions: RDavis9
Again, the ring record run was done with a car fresh off the factory floor by Tesla. If that is not advertising, not sure what is. That track is very hard on every car component including the brakes. Don't like my data about the brakes lasting three 10min sessions for the OP to justify his concerns, move on, thanks for the feedback. I don't believe the stock brake system is sufficient enough to do consistent drag strip runs back to back based on experience, but I'm sure we will know soon enough.
Ring record - I can't say about the motor, but I know it's hardly possible with stock brake based on our experience with tracked customers both in Europe and US.

Reactions: impastu
Ring record - I can't say about the motor, but I know it's hardly possible with stock brake based on our experience with tracked customers both in Europe and US.

Most stability control systems use brake modulation in some form these days. But this may be a great theory as to why the Plaid brakes are so easily cooked if Tesla primary relies on the brakes vs cutting power to keep the car strait.
More specifically the REAR brakes are used for traction control, such as in Porsche 911 and McLaren which adds more stress to the rear over it's normal duty.

Last edited:
More specifically the REAR brakes are used for traction control, such as in Porsche 911 and McLaren which adds more stress to the rear over it's normal duty.
With the Plaid having 1 motor in the front with an open diff, I imagine the brakes are used extensively by the stability control around corners and braking the inside wheel. The R35 Gtr has a similar solution in place to compensate for the front open diff.

Now that I think about it, it did give me that kind of feeling through corners. That will also explain why the front right took the most beating on a clockwise track 🤔

Reactions: MattMac and impastu
Plaid Stock Replacement Rotors Are Shipping:

Front Fitment: (380x32mm)
OE:
oe%20set%20up.PNG

RB:
OE%20caliper%2BRB%202pc.PNG

Rotor Weight:
OE:
2679-oe-front.jpg

RB:
2679-wt.png

Construction:
OE Pillar (straight)
Vane vs. RB Curve Vane
Curve_pillar.png

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and MadKuma
Well, theory is one thing, practice is another.

Practice is that all 4 rotors lost torque after track use and they are single-time use. Price for the new set of nuts is high and there is no warranty on them, surprise.

My kit was sold to the guy who don't plan to track the car ever. But before that I was required to clean up forum from my complaints otherwise I wouldn't get proper rotor hats to even fit rotors on hubs in the first place. In the process I was ignored in email and yelled over the phone.

I have no idea why RB didn't just change a brand name considering how devastating Google history of that name. But it certainly helps consumers to not make a mistake and easily see that 3d floating rotors are not up to the task for more than a decade on multiple platforms.

No amount of CAD pictures with arrows can fix the reality of actual results. I think with more than 10 years of customer complaints it was possible to fix it, but decision was made to just post pictures instead, like anyone has any idea about mechanical engineering on car forums.

Oh, and I wasn't a fan of amount of flex in calipers either, but at least they were functional even if pedal was soft.
Since mine is a P100D track time is only one lap full tilt, then slower. Quite a few laps though since 2017 when I first put on RB rotors front and rear. No problems, did the rotors, brake lines and replaced fluid, stock calipers.

Reactions: RB_PB
What can I expect from this OE REPLACEMENT ROTOR KIT in performance improvement and durability?.

This kit includes our best & optimal street pad (XT910 compound) - Not outsource (formulated and made with our tooling and process) with the low dust yet no trade off in performance.

We think Plaid owners would drive their cars very similar to Mercedes high end models; The car are heavy w/ lots of HP, and driven spiritedly, so here are some typical long term reviews/discussions for your reference.

Racing Brake makes me happy (customer knew our XT pads from his BMW) posted in 2014

Racing Brake Rotors after 113,556miles posted in 2017 (original RB discs purchased in 2013)

...That's right. I replaced my front brake disks at 87,500 with racingbrake.com rotors and I am replacing them again at 201,056 miles..

Last edited:
Since mine is a P100D track time is only one lap full tilt, then slower. Quite a few laps though since 2017 when I first put on RB rotors front and rear. No problems, did the rotors, brake lines and replaced fluid, stock calipers.
When your battery overheats first, it's not really a test for the brakes. Plaid on the track would be overheating any brake kit without ducted air supply. But most brake kits won't start rattling afterwards.

I owned them enough to sell to a guy who don't plan to track his car ever. I still have rear ones and need to make custom hats for AP rings, because noise is too annoying. The car is M3P.
Please keep us in the loop on the AP hats for front rotors. I've used APs on a lot of previous projects and they produce a fantastic product with great availability. Using stainless high temp jet nuts which are easily sourced is helpful as well. I'd love to run some APs floating on aluminum hats when/if the hats become available.

I vaguely remember a TV series that followed a season of amateurs racing Mustang GT's I think? At one point several of the drivers complained that the Brembos they were using weren't up to the task as they overcooked them. Except not everyone did... The more experienced drivers were faster and had no trouble with the brakes. Now, I'm not claiming that the Plaid brakes are race ready, but destroying the brakes in 3 10 minute sessions may have something to do with driving style? No brakes are infallible.
I started off destroying a full set of rotors at Road America and finished off four years later with less than 1/2 wear and going 8 seconds a lap faster. It is a tough track when you do near 200 three times a lap. One of the last/hardest things to learn is how to use are the brakes. The ole hands used to say "brakes? nah, they only slow you down". I thought they were pulling my chain; they were not.

• Funny
while i'd love to have better brakes, how can we use the motors themselves to help even more than just regen braking?

I'm curious about this too. Model 3s have adjustable regen, maybe a software update in the future will provide the new Model S with this option as well? Maybe even a "track" setting for regen that would help out the brakes, while improving efficiency...

Then again, I don't really know enough about regen (I'm still waiting on my MSLR, first EV), so maybe this isn't practical.

If ALL your drivings is on streets, strictly under the "legal speed limits" and never confront panic stops; then you may not even need to touch the brake in most cases.

However any of a driving situation differs from the above a "human control" brake can save the loss in properties and lives, let alone bringing a car, a heavy and fast vehicle to the tracks. Or someday in the near future, Tesla may even have the brake pedal eliminated, possible? who knows?

Last edited: