Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading Brake Pads for Plaid - Racing Brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are pleased to announce the official release of this valuable 410/390 BBK (Same rotor size as Porsche 991 GT3 pccb, so believe in the "balanced" brake system)

2681-wt-410.jpg

2681-fit-test-2.jpg

How true is a BBK?

RB front big rotor kit has a wider annulus (76mm) for a larger pad - A real BBK made for extra thermal capacity unlike others only claimed a larger OD but still with narrow annulus barely enough to clear the caliper for small stock size pads.

We also show you the exact size of rotor and pad you are going to receive. Everything is transparent and easy to understand why RB brake has better design and can run more efficient, and last longer.

2681%2Blarger%20pad.PNG

We are about 2-4 weeks away from shipping the kit for making the larger pads and hardware kit, but you can take the advantage of per-ordering the kit NOW with a $150 deduct (Coupon code "DED-150") plus free upgrade on the front larger pads to go with the big rotors.

Cool kit. I take it the stock 19" wheels won't fit with this kit?

We are pleased to announce the official release of this valuable 410/390 BBK (Same rotor size as Porsche 991 GT3 pccb, so believe in the "balanced" brake system)

2681-wt-410.jpg

2681-fit-test-2.jpg

How true is a BBK?

RB front big rotor kit has a wider annulus (76mm) for a larger pad - A real BBK made for extra thermal capacity unlike others only claimed a larger OD but still with narrow annulus barely enough to clear the caliper for small stock size pads.

We also show you the exact size of rotor and pad you are going to receive. Everything is transparent and easy to understand why RB brake has better design and can run more efficient, and last longer.

2681%2Blarger%20pad.PNG

We are about 2-4 weeks away from shipping the kit for making the larger pads and hardware kit, but you can take the advantage of per-ordering the kit NOW with a $150 deduct (Coupon code "DED-150") plus free upgrade on the front larger pads to go with the big rotors.

Sorry to be naive, but doesn’t balance depend on front/rear weight bias of the car and the valving and clamping characteristics of the calipers of the particular vehicle? In that case is it relevant that a 410/390 setup is balanced on a Porsche?

Reactions: Bull
Rotor kit is now default to 410/410mm (w/option for 390mm rear) - Same as Tesla's upcoming CCB rotor sizes this shall end all debates and arguments on why a balanced brake system and why a comparable larger rear is a must especially under track mode with a stability control.

Trust Tesla and Porsche or listen to those brake "experts" telling you that your don't need larger rear simply their venders or proponents don't offer. Our approach is to offer three different rear sizes; 365, 390, 410mm with different combo kits for you to do your own research and choice.

The rear 390mm kit wouldn't fit 19" stock wheels, need 20" or larger.

Last edited:
Rotor kit is now default to 410/410mm (w/option for 390mm rear) - Same as Tesla's upcoming CCB rotor sizes this shall end all debates and arguments on why a balanced brake system and why a comparable larger rear is a must especially under track mode with a stability control.

Trust Tesla and Porsche or listen to those brake "experts" telling you that your don't need larger rear simply their venders or proponents don't offer. Our approach is to offer three different rear sizes; 365, 390, 410mm with different combo kits for you to do your own research and choice.

Why would this end any debate when you have no testing data?

What a manufacturer presents for sale often has no rationale, especially if performance was a goal. There are innumerable examples.

Reactions: impastu and Mash

Your approach is to offer 3 different sizes and let the customer do the research? 😂 Which one is balanced? Which one have you driven?

I’m sure Tesla’s upcoming kit has matched calipers and valving to ensure “balance”

You respond to questions as if they were an attack, why is that?

First you offered 390mm FRONT rotors.

Then you changed it to 400 mm FRONT rotors.

Then you changed it to 410 mm front rotors, With the options of buying front only.

Now you have changed it to buying front and rear together only. Above you state that you have different combo kits for people to do their own research and choice,

But when I ask if you will sell 410 mm front rotors only, the choice is no, have to buy either 390 mm rear or 410 mm rear, and compare it to cars that have completely different weight distributions.

I have purchased things for you multiple times in the past. I brought calipers for my GT3. I bought front and rear pads for the Plaid.

But your customer service sucks.

before%20powder%20coating.PNG

Calipers ready for powder coating.
Left side are RB6L for Plaid front BBK; right side are RB4045 - An icon 4 pot calipers that was built for Lexus IS, S2000, BMW M3, SRT4 Neon, Subie WRX, 350Z, Golf R32 etc. for the last 20 years and are still running strong.

The information here is so absurd its not even funny.

Brake bias is determined by the master cylinder line pressure, the overall combined piston area per caliper, as well as the mean radius of the rotor. Of these, the combined piston area (front/rear) is going to have the greatest effect.

You are comparing massively different piston areas (Future Tesla Carbon kit, and a Porsche GT3) and saying that your selection of rotor diameter is to equal those setups balance.

The upcoming tesla kit and the GT3 have massively different rear caliper areas to the stock Plaid. Your assumption that similar rotor diameters make it have the same balance is either incorrect marketing, or a complete lack of brake engineering knowledge.

Your bigger rear rotors with the Single piston rear caliper isnt going to give any balance even close to the Tesla kit or the GT3.

Last edited:
Plaid brake caliper analysis is updated to include the rear caliper and the system comparison.

Plaid_bias_analysis.PNG

If you track your Plaid you will need to upgrade the caliper components to reduce the replacement on brake fluid and component and maintenance downtime.

This is correct.

But a few posts above your comparing the bias ratio to a Porsche GT3 and new Tesla Carbon kit, which both have much larger rear piston areas. So the claim that your large rear rotors results in a much more balanced set up to match the Tesla Carbon and GT3 remains incorrect.

Rotor diameter does have a small effect on bias, but the caliper area has a much much larger affect.

That being said, you do not want a bias on a Tesla plaid that is similar to a GT3. Mid and rear engine cars need more rear bias based on weight.

The current Tesla bias ratio is actually not far from a Corvette C7 which is 64/36.

Bigger front calipers, matched with bigger rear calipers with a separately mounted rear parking brake would be most ideal.

Reactions: MattMac and impastu
Hello!

I'm very interested in these brakes but don't know too much about brakes. I just recently purchased the PLAID and also noticed the brakes aren't acceptable for the type of driving I do. I am not a track driver but I drive spirited; not unlike when I'm driving my Audi-R8 (whose braking is amazing).

I see you've recommended the RB OE Caliper BBK BBK (390/390, is it acceptable for me to get the RB System BBK (420/390) for Tesla Plaid instead even though I likely won't take it out on the track much (I don't mind spending the extra $ for better braking)?

Also if I buy these what will it cost to get Red painted calipers on the rear as well and where could I get them installed at? Does it remove any warrants on this car or is there anything I should be worried about with install regarding these versus OEM?

Thank you!
Hello!

I'm very interested in these brakes but don't know too much about brakes. I just recently purchased the PLAID and also noticed the brakes aren't acceptable for the type of driving I do. I am not a track driver but I drive spirited; not unlike when I'm driving my Audi-R8 (whose braking is amazing).

I see you've recommended the RB OE Caliper BBK BBK (390/390, is it acceptable for me to get the RB System BBK (420/390) for Tesla Plaid instead even though I likely won't take it out on the track much (I don't mind spending the extra $ for better braking)?

Also if I buy these what will it cost to get Red painted calipers on the rear as well and where could I get them installed at? Does it remove any warrants on this car or is there anything I should be worried about with install regarding these versus OEM?

Thank you!
Maybe Made in China?!

Help Me Decide:

Assume you have 21" wheels you can choose:

Either
410/410mm OE caliper kit - OE Caliper BBK (410/410) for Tesla S Plaid (P/N 2681-K & 2683-K); Same Rotor Size as Tesla's Forthcoming CCB Rotor Kit
Or
432/410mm RB caliper kit - RB System BBK (432/410) for Tesla Plaid & LR; Front RB Calipers & Rear OE Calipers (Not Included) (P/N 2682-K & 2683-K)

For 19" wheels:
390/365mm OE caliper kit - Save 10% on RB OE Caliper BBK (390/365) for Tesla S Plaid (P/N 2684-K & 2435P-K)-Fits OE 19" Wheels

All brake kits are professionally designed and configured to insure optimal performance - Including brake pads compounds and size to be compatible with the rotor sizes.

No China brake components

Yes, the new X has the same exact brake as the Plaid. For 20" wheels we recommend this most popular OE caliper BBK.
  • Easy to install.
  • Highly affordable.
  • Kit comes with front larger (deeper) pads at no extra charge.
  • Overall system performance improvement.
  • Ready to ship.

Yes, the new X has the same exact brake as the Plaid. For 20" wheels we recommend this most popular OE caliper BBK.
  • Easy to install.
  • Highly affordable.
  • Kit comes with front larger (deeper) pads at no extra charge.
  • Overall system performance improvement.
  • Ready to ship.
So (410/390) will fit inside 20 inch wheel?

Per your photos, it looks pretty darn close on 21’s.

With 21" the clearance is measured as 14.8mm
2681%20Front%20measure.PNG

2681%20Front-14.8mm.PNG

With 20" wheel the clearance is expected to be 14.8-12.7 (1/2') or ~ 2.1mm.
Above is based on extrapolation. Due to the variation of wheels contours (OE or aftermarket), the actual clearance may vary.

Reactions: The Duke