Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See attached.
I did it. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2017-09-06-22-15-33.png
    SmartSelectImage_2017-09-06-22-15-33.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 151
I have an MX 75D, never thought about a 72A..why would you need it?

If you're travelling in an area with 70A or 80A L2 chargers, but no L3, then it's highly useful. This is common in Canada. Also, I've found it nice when topping up at the end of a work-day, prior to going on a long trip.

With more and more L3 chargers this will be less important. But for now, there is value to some folks (like me).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
To answer the "why" question: What they all said :)

Mostly for destination charging.

Also, for various reasons I put in a HPWC with a 100A circuit at home, so seems a shame to not be able to take advantage of that, even if I don't think I'll need it 99% of the time.

If you're travelling in an area with 70A or 80A L2 chargers, but no L3, then it's highly useful. This is common in Canada. Also, I've found it nice when topping up at the end of a work-day, prior to going on a long trip.

With more and more L3 chargers this will be less important. But for now, there is value to some folks (like me).

Thanks. I never was presented with this option during the sales process.

To clarify, it's not an option when ordering the car, but if you really want a 72A charger in your 75D you can pay a service center to install one. It's expensive though, as you're wasting the charger the car comes with. As a practical matter there's really not much use for the 72A charger in the US in a car with the smaller battery. I just finished a 4460 mile trip in my S60 (40A charger) and there wasn't one time when I would have benefited from having a higher amp charger. That trip used 35 supercharger stops, 5 HPWCs, 2 J1772s, and 2 120V outlets.