Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading existing 14-50 outlet to Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I had an electrician install a 50-amp breaker and a 14-50 receptacle to use with the Tesla mobile connector. I now want to upgrade to the wall connector; do I just need to install a 60-amp breaker in the panel and replace the 14-50 receptacle with the wall connector? Or are there other steps I need to take?

Last year I had an electrician install a 50-amp breaker and a 14-50 receptacle to use with the Tesla mobile connector. I now want to upgrade to the wall connector; do I just need to install a 60-amp breaker in the panel and replace the 14-50 receptacle with the wall connector? Or are there other steps I need to take?
Funny you should mention this. I installed a 14-50 outlet outside of my house last year but recently decided to just go with the wall connector. Yes, that should really be it, as long as you know what you are doing. You can even keep the 50 amp breaker in there, running the wall connector at a slightly lower charge rate, 40 amps.

I'm going to install a 60 amp breaker just to get the max output but either way will work.

Reactions: YNoVA
You can simply replace the 14-50 with a wall connector and configure it for a 50-amp circuit. You will need to replace the GFCI 50A breaker (if one was installed) with a standard 50A breaker.

It is highly unlikely a wire that supports a 60A circuit was installed so to upgrade to a 60A circuit you will most likely need to replace the wire. On the 50A circuit your charge rate will be 40A, if you upgrade the wire you will get 48A.

You can replace the NEMA 14-50 receptacle, mount the Wall Connector in its place. You can't just change the circuit breaker from 50A to 60A unless the wiring was originally sized for a 60A circuit.

If the existing 50A circuit breaker is a GFCI breaker (the breaker will have a Test/Reset button) this can be changed to a less expensive standard double pole 50A circuit breaker as a GFCI circuit breaker is not required when using the Wall Connector. Leaving it as is should not create any issue with the Wall Connector. If the GFCI circuit breaker repeatedly trips when used with the Wall Connector the GFCI circuit breaker can later be replaced with the standard circuit breaker.

Last edited:
We installed our 14-50 three years ago with a 50 A breaker and 6 gauge wire. Is 6-gauge good enough if I want to convert to Wall Connector later?
Others have already answered the question you were really asking, but just to note: the wall connector can be configured for any circuit between 15a and 60a, so it can be installed with all kinds of different wire. For example, I have an EVSE at home plugged into a *6-50 on 8/3 Romex (yes, there's an extra white wire unused). I can install a wall connector in it's place, but I'd have to configure it for a 40a circuit (32a charging). If the EVSE I have ever dies, I might do exactly that.

* It's an 11 yo install and that's how they were done back then. Seemed incredibly forward looking when all I had was a LEAF that maxed out at 16a charging. And it was forward looking considering that it's perfectly adequate to charge my Model 3 today.

Thank you for the helpful replies.

I only charge to 70% nowadays and in three years the 14-50 has been completely adequate. Was just wondering what’s the best charging option if we were to get a second EV.

One option is to put in another 50 A breaker to our 200 panel and add a second 14-50. Since Tesla makes you pay for a mobile charger now, then that makes a Wall Connector more attractive. I suppose it doesn’t make sense to replace the 14-50 with a Wall Connector (for a second EV). Probably better to add a Wall Connector or a second 14-50.

charging option if we were to get a second EV.

Wall Connectors have power sharing built it. You can replace the existing 14-50 with a wall connector and add a second one on either a 50a or 60a circuit. BTW, for the 2nd one the cost of a new commercial grade outlet, GFCI breaker and mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter is more expensive than a wall connector.

Was just wondering what’s the best charging option if we were to get a second EV.

One option is to put in another 50 A breaker to our 200 panel and add a second 14-50. Since Tesla makes you pay for a mobile charger now, then that makes a Wall Connector more attractive. I suppose it doesn’t make sense to replace the 14-50 with a Wall Connector (for a second EV). Probably better to add a Wall Connector or a second 14-50.

We're only going to have 1 wall charger for 2 Tesla's.....it won't be an issue at all. The biggest issue is ensuring you have the charger placed where it will easily get to both cars. My wife only does about 50 miles a day, I rarely go anywhere anymore with working from home.

Thank you for the helpful replies.

I only charge to 70% nowadays and in three years the 14-50 has been completely adequate. Was just wondering what’s the best charging option if we were to get a second EV.

I'd defnitely add the Wall Connector for the second car. I'm a bit concerned with all the mobile connector failures we've been seeing around here lately. As far as the existing 14-50, I'd say that goes under, "If it ain't broke...". However, if that mobile connector ever dies, you might want to switch to a wall connector.

Reactions: FatherTo1
I'd defnitely add the Wall Connector for the second car. I'm a bit concerned with all the mobile connector failures we've been seeing around here lately. As far as the existing 14-50, I'd say that goes under, "If it ain't broke...". However, if that mobile connector ever dies, you might want to switch to a wall connector.
Had my service appointment today and received a new mobile charger and replaced the cabin filter. Recently swapped to a Hubbell 14-50 receptacle so I should be good for now. A buddy just took delivery of his new LR Y and installed a wall connector. Looks nice. I will definitely go wall connector if we add another EV.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I've decided to change my 14-50 outlet to a wall connector. I probably already know the answer but...
Should I replace the outlet and hardwire the connector, or wire up a 14-50 plug to the wall connector and plug it into the existing outlet? Just less work I suppose but not as safe/secure.

I've decided to change my 14-50 outlet to a wall connector. I probably already know the answer but...
Should I replace the outlet and hardwire the connector, or wire up a 14-50 plug to the wall connector and plug it into the existing outlet? Just less work I suppose but not as safe/secure.
You could add a 14-50 power plug pigtail to the Wall Connector, configure the Wall Connector for use on a 50A circuit. This would work but would not be to code because the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector does not provide an installation option for use with a plug.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H