Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading existing 14-50 outlet to Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a dilemma about upgrading to the Wall Connector. Because my Model Y did not come with a Mobile Adaptor AND Tesla is out of stock for the Mobile Adaptor (a credit is not terribly useful if the product you want is unavailable!) I installed a 14-50 receptacle and purchased a J1772 charger that seems to be working fine. The charging unit is mobile but it will only apparently work with a 50amp service so its mobility is marginal if traveling or using a plug adaptor for 20qmp or 30amp. I am tempted to replace it with a Wall Connector but then I still have the problem when traveling and in need of a re-charge when I am out of range for a Supercharger. So, do I wait for "availability" of the Tesla Mobile Charger or do I simply pay for a Wall Connector?
Thanks.

SuperChargers and the J1772 adapter should be all you need. Having the mobile connector is often used when parking at an airport or visiting friends, both of which can be handled with a little advance planning.

My advice is if you feel the need just go to the Tesla website and request to be notified when the mobile connector is in stock and then buy it. But of course you will also need to buy whatever adapters you think you will need, as well.

I'm in a dilemma about upgrading to the Wall Connector. Because my Model Y did not come with a Mobile Adaptor AND Tesla is out of stock for the Mobile Adaptor (a credit is not terribly useful if the product you want is unavailable!) I installed a 14-50 receptacle and purchased a J1772 charger that seems to be working fine. The charging unit is mobile but it will only apparently work with a 50amp service so its mobility is marginal if traveling or using a plug adaptor for 20qmp or 30amp. I am tempted to replace it with a Wall Connector but then I still have the problem when traveling and in need of a re-charge when I am out of range for a Supercharger. So, do I wait for "availability" of the Tesla Mobile Charger or do I simply pay for a Wall Connector?
Thanks.
Your Tesla Model Y should have come with the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter. This adapter is how you currently charge at home with the portable charging unit you currently plug into the 14-50 receptacle. The J1772 adapter is available from Tesla store if you want a spare. You can use the J1772 adapter to charge at any public Level 2 charging station (See Plugshare app for locations).

The Mobile Connector may be useful when visiting homes, knowing you can always plug in to any 5-15 120V receptacle or possibly a 20 amp 5-20 receptacle, or dryer outlet (14-30.) The Mobile Connector is useful when camping as you may be able to camp using the Model Y for sleeping (or may require a separate tent) but the campground may have RV parking places equipped with 14-50 or the TT-30 (120V/30A) service.

You may want to purchase the newly released Tesla CCS-1 charging adapter (check your vehicle configuration for compatibility.) Then if you travel you would be able to use Electrify America, EVGo, and other charging networks that offer CCS type 1 charging. Together with the Tesla Supercharger network and the J1772 adapter you would be able to find close by EV charging sites in most parts of the US or Canada.

I did the same thing, installed a 14-50 outlet and planned on using the mobile connector, but decided to go with the wall connector for peace of mind since it will be outdoors 100% of the time. I used the $200 voucher to buy a mobile connector which should be arriving any day, along with my car...

I would definitely go with the wall connector and keep the mobile connector in the car in case you need it on the road.

Thanks.
What mobile charger do you have that “only” works with 50A service? What is the output? If it “only” outputs 40A that will not work with cars that only accept 32A or less (SR Teslas and many others).

The plug adapters from other outlets to 14-50 are similar to what you’d get with the Tesla version and buying the adapters.

Somewhere on the back of the unit it should list input voltage and current and the current should be a range. Same with output voltage and current.

If it “only” outputs 40A that will not work with cars that only accept 32A or less (SR Teslas and many others).
That definitely isn't how that works. To be an EVSE that complies with J1772 standard, it CAN'T work that way. It will announce to the vehicle how much possible capacity of amps it can provide. But then the car REQUESTS an amount of those amps that may be lower, and the EVSE provides that much. They don't FORCE something into the car that is more than the car can take.

Being able to only work on a 50A input supply probably just means it has a fixed plug attached instead of being versatile with changeable adapters.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
That definitely isn't how that works. To be an EVSE that complies with J1772 standard, it CAN'T work that way. It will announce to the vehicle how much possible capacity of amps it can provide. But then the car REQUESTS an amount of those amps that may be lower, and the EVSE provides that much. They don't FORCE something into the car that is more than the car can take.

Being able to only work on a 50A input supply probably just means it has a fixed plug attached instead of being versatile with changeable adapters.
I know and you know this. The poster obviously does not. That is what I was trying to kindly explain through asking him questions. And since it has a 14-50 plug, all he needs are adapters from whatever plug is available to a 14-50 receptacle and he is good to go. He will need to manually set amperage in the car to be 80% of whatever the plug is providing.

I know and you know this.
Then why did you say, " that will not work with cars that only accept 32A or less" That's just not true. Yes, it will work. Even if the EVSE someone is using is capable of more, it will always still work with cars that can only take less amps, and that won't require manually turning down the level in the car. The car will only request as much as it can use. The EVSE won't force more.

Reactions: davewill
Thanks.
I'd think hard about whether you even need an EVSE to carry in the car. You say you need it for when you're "out of range for a Supercharger", but commercial EV charging stations use J1772 plugs, which Tesla provides an adapter for. The only need for a mobile EVSE would be plugging into a electrical socket at someone's home, in an RV park, or other unusual locations. Given the ubiquity of EV charging these days, most people don't need anything else.

Edit: I am not saying that no one needs a mobile EVSE. There are plenty of people whe frequent RV parks, or need to plug in while visiting uncle Joe's cabin in the middle of nowhere. Ten years ago, EV charging was scarce enough that a lot of people found uses for a mobile EVSE, however, it's been a solid 5 years or more since mine has seen any action on the road.

Last edited:
Then why did you say, " that will not work with cars that only accept 32A or less" That's just not true. Yes, it will work. Even if the EVSE someone is using is capable of more, it will always still work with cars that can only take less amps, and that won't require manually turning down the level in the car. The car will only request as much as it can use. The EVSE won't force more.
I was using his logic to prove to him that he was wrong. If it works for his Tesla, it will work for all Teslas, even ones than can't accept more than 32A. The conversation was with the specific poster and designed to draw answers from him to see the error in his thinking and help him realize that his current charger will work everywhere given the correct cord adapter and settings in the car. The Tesla Mobile Connector will simply the settings portion given the right adapters but it is a cost that will not provide additional functionality regarding charging that he doesn't already have.

Sorry to revive an older thread but this seems like the best place to ask my question. I have a 14-50 that is wired with 6/3 with ground romex that I am replacing with a wall connector.

For those of you who replaced their 14-50 outlet with a wall connector, what did you do with the white neutral wire?

Did you use the neutral as the ground? Or should I just put a wire nut on the white conductor and use the smaller bare copper ground?

I'm leaning towards using the neutral as ground.

Thanks!

Sorry to revive an older thread but this seems like the best place to ask my question. I have a 14-50 that is wired with 6/3 with ground romex that I am replacing with a wall connector.

For those of you who replaced their 14-50 outlet with a wall connector, what did you do with the white neutral wire?

Did you use the neutral as the ground? Or should I just put a wire nut on the white conductor and use the smaller bare copper ground?

Thanks!
Use the ground as a ground and cap off the neutral. Less confusing and error-prone for someone stumbling across your work in the future.

Thanks!
I would cap the neutral and use the existing ground. Make sure the wall connector is properly comissioned for a 50 amp circuit (not 60).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for the quick responses. Is there any issue with the ground being solid? Iirc, the installation instructions say to use stranded wire.

I'll probably put a 90 degree bend in the ground on the other side of the terminal just to keep it from being able to pull out.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'll probably put a 90 degree bend in the ground on the other side of the terminal just to keep it from being able to pull out.
You mean inside the wall connector? I wouldn't. There shouldn't be extra wire hanging around that could contact the other terminals. You should also only strip the hot wires to the specified length, not letting extra bare wire protrude out the bottom or top of the terminal.

I’m also considering a 14-50 to wall connector conversion. In my case, the 14-50 junction box is surface-mounted (at the end of a conduit run on the surface of the garage wall)… so it seems a proper installation would require recessing the junction box. I’m debating if it is with the effort.

I’m also considering a 14-50 to wall connector conversion. In my case, the 14-50 junction box is surface-mounted (at the end of a conduit run on the surface of the garage wall)… so it seems a proper installation would require recessing the junction box. I’m debating if it is with the effort.
Your electrician should be able to mount the Wall Connector mounting plate to the existing junction box.

Reactions: Fedderman
You can also mount the wall connector near the J-box and run a pigtail out the side or bottom and into the wall connector.

Reactions: Fedderman