Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from 48A to 72A charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
When we ordered our S 100D, 72A charging was an option. 48A was optional, and upgrading to 72A charging was $1500 as part of the original configuration and $1900 to enable after delivery. For 100D's, 72A charger is now standard.

Based on how our garage is configured, with two Tesla Model S cars sharing a single 100A circuit, we don't need more than 48A in charging, which is enough to fully recharge the 100D overnight.

However, on road trips, we have been at hotels that have HPWCs able to provide more than 48A - so there may be benefit in upgrading the charging.

Tesla doesn't offer this through the online store (like they do with the second 40A charger for the earlier configurations).

Has anyone ordered the 48A to 72A upgrade? And how much did it cost?

I had the 72A charger added last Spring but I’m not sure of the cost. I opted for the upgrade only because I travel backroads that have 80A Level2 chargers. It’s really nice being able to charge 2hrs instead of 4hrs so it’s worth it to me. I don’t think it’s worth it just for home use. IMHO, it’s not necessary if you travel only the SC routes or if you can find slow chargers where you can charge overnight. My circumstances made it worth the cost.

Servicehelpna gave me a price of $1,900. I asked if I could keep the old charger and tgey referred me to the service center. I never followed up. Didn’t see the benefit of spending the money.

This was about 3 months ago.

Also a s100d.