Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from a 2019 M3 SR+ to 2021/22 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering upgrading my 2019 (69) M3 SR+ MSM to a new M3 SR+ which Tesla now simply refer to as Model 3. Trying to figure out what the additional outlay may be.

The main benefits would be a new car plus some additional range.

Are the new UK M3's made in China?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 2019 SR+ had a WLTP rating of 254mi and a 54kWh battery?

And the new M3 with Aero’s has 317 miles range (WLTP) and a 60kWh battery?

So around a very useful 40-50 extra real world miles.

Second hand M3 SR+ with around 15K miles are being listed on Autotrader for around £39-40K. Are they actually achieving these prices?

Interestingly those with FSD don’t appear to be demanding a premium and are similar priced to the ones without.

Has anyone sold a 2019 M3 SR+ recently? What price did you achieve? Was it private or to a dealer?

Any ideas what Tesla are offering for 2019 SR+ trade-ins?

Last edited:
I’m considering upgrading my 2019 (69) M3 SR+ MSM to a new M3 SR+ which Tesla now simply refer to as Model 3. Trying to figure out what the additional outlay may be.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 2019 SR+ had a WLTP rating of 254mi and a 54kWh battery?

Second hand M3 SR+ with around 15K miles are being listed on Autotrader for around £39-40K. Are they actually achieving these prices?

Interestingly those with FSD don’t appear to be demanding a premium and are similar priced to the ones without.

Has anyone sold a 2019 M3 SR+ recently? What price did you achieve? Was it private or to a dealer?

I think most of your statements are correct, I've been offered £36K by WBAC for my August 19 SR+ with 15,000 miles so if they're making a profit the numbers you mentioned might be about right but I'll let others with real life experience comment further

Bear in mind that you won't get the UK Gov Plug In Grant but as that is steadily dropping maybe not too big a concern these days.

FSD seems to make sod all difference to resale. I was told that by every leasing company I spoke to before buying mine. Bought mine outright in the end, but even Tesla didn't seem to price in any premium when it came to looking at trade in prices.

It ought to be fairly easy to work out the price delta between what you paid, what you could sell the car for (get a trade in price from Tesla as well, Motorway, WBAC, etc) and the price of the new car. As mentioned the obvious big difference is that no Tesla qualifies for the (reduced) PICG now.

Yes the new cars are made in China.

I don't know about the trade-in prices so won't comment on that but some key things with the new SR+ (or "Model 3" as it is now called) is that it comes with LFP batteries so you can charge it to 100% all the time, no need to charge it only to 80-90% day to day which is very practical in my experience. You also get the 10% bigger 60kWh battery yes and the efficiency of the car is very good with the heat pumps they have, I am getting around 240Wh/mi or about 240miles of real range on mine and that's in the winter. It has a powered boot/trunk as well which I don't think the 2019 has.

Last edited:

2019 254 miles WLTP 54 kWh battery
2021 278 miles WLTP 55 kWh LFP battery
2022 305 miles WLTP 60-62 kWh LFP battery

The 317 miles range quoted with aeros is new for Tesla, they never quoted that before so you are better to use the 305 mile figure for a better like for like comparison.

As others have stated, the LFP battery can we charged to 100% daily - and Tesla recommend it is charged to 100% once per week to keep the range estimate in calibration.

Thanks for your input and advice guys.

Just for information, initial online valuations for 2019 SR+ 15K miles (none asked about colour or FSD so doesn't seem to make any difference to dealers):
Tesla trade-in: £32K
WBAC: £36K
Motorway: £37K
all subject to T&C's, visual inspections etc.

@MrT3 I think you're right, better to stick with the 305mi range for the new SR+. 317mi is an 'estimate' with aeros but not a certified WLTP figure. In real life there may be some marginal range gain with aeros at higher speeds.

The range difference between the M3 and the M3 LR is now only 55 WLTP miles and only 10 miles compared to the MY LR.

Being able to charge to 100% without worrying too much about battery degradation is a bonus.

Last edited:
I had the joy of trying all of these services getting rid of my previous car prior to collecting the Tesla

It’s rare private buyers spend that much as they’ll want some kind of finance and warranty, so I found the cost of advertising is just a waste.

Motorway quoted the highest for me, but once I went through with the chore of taking 20+ pictures of everything on the car and speaking to them on the phone to confirm everything I had already filled out on the website they submitted the car to the daily auction and the offer was far lower than WBAC, WWAC, etc.

I don’t know if you have one round your way but there’s one called We pay more for any car (original I know), which is part of Trade Centre UK and they offered me far more than all of these services and the whole thing took like 10 mins.

Good luck with your sale if you go through with it ☺️

• Helpful
Reactions: Dommmm and Durzel
Just for information, initial online valuations for 2019 SR+ 15K miles (none asked about colour or FSD so doesn't seem to make any difference to dealers):
I presume you had to enter the reg number so they should be able to tell the colour automatically, but I agree it probably doesn't retain any value - the same as interior, wheels and FSD. This is somewhat confirmed when you look at PCP/leasing deals and you add on those options - the monthly costs increase multiplied by the lease term amounts to the cost of the extra item, none of that cost is left against the end of term value of the vehicle.

Careful with motorway, some dealers overbid, leave the collection for a week then pressure you with small niggles to drive the price down. If you're going down this route, make sure it's not time sensitive or they could **** you over.

I've gone from 2019 SR to Q42021 SR+

My 2019 started with 232 miles and dropped to 216 miles after 21k. The q42021 car has 272, but the main aspect is that you're always starting at 272, instead of 172 (degraded 80% charge),.

This high starting range and not having to manage charging as much is a nice improvement.

Ignore the 305 miles, right now. In winter you can get 250/260 out of it.

My new car is in for repair (roof rail damage from roof tile in storm) and the 2019 LR I have has 285 miles at 100% and 36k.

Despite the extra weight of q42021 cars, they are about 30wh/m more efficient than my 2019. Motorway efficiency in particular is excellent.

Build quality is a big improvement too.

Overall very pleased going from 2019 to 2021. No regrets over that or not getting a LR.

FSD is a waste, EAP overpriced but nice for motorways.

Reactions: kelvin 660
Would you stick with MSM?
I have a MSM M3 and it has a good paint finish everywhere and has proved resistant to stone chips. Only you can decide what appeals to you but it looks good both to me and my wife* ... we agreed, having seen cars in the metal, that that was our preferred paint. If I was buying a new one that would still be my choice.

*and at least she isn't colour blind ...

I know the new SR+ has improved in terms of range etc. but it has also gone up in price quite a bit. My 2019 SR+ was 39k with blue paint and white interior, current version in same spec is 6k more. The new one is also slower due to battery chemistry.

Obviously there is basically zero depreciation and that offsets the increase in price. But I think the long range price hasn't moved up by nearly as much, the difference used to be over 10k vs 7k currently.

I upgraded last year from SR+ to a LR refresh and got 37k from WBAC at the time. Funny how the economics is influenced more by Tesla price changes than depreciation!

The new one is also slower due to battery chemistry.
It's only slower due to the motor they are now putting in it. The battery is perfectly capable of providing the same power as the old one, as seen by the unicorn models delivered in Q4 with the newer 60 kWh battery and the same performance as before.

I think the price rise is mainly down to supply/demand and lack of competition at the price, but also there has been increased manufacturing and shipping costs during the last year. Plus the spec beyond just the battery has also improved - heated rear seats, heated steering wheel and interior mats as standard.

Not to mention the Matrix lights, power lift boot, heat pump, double glazed windows, boom box, 4 more years warranty (8 on battery & motor) and can charge to 100% using rugged non-flammable LFP batteries. Not forgetting the better build quality'. The new RWD is definitely worth the extra money...

Last edited:
Not to mention the Matrix lights, power lift boot, heat pump, double glazed windows, boom box, 4 more years warranty (8 on battery & motor) and can charge to 100% using rugged non-flammable LFP batteries. Not forgetting the better build quality'. The new RWD is definitely worth the extra money...
Yeah spec is definitely improving over time. I didn't mention this in my response as those features were all added before the two recent price rises - it was a bit of a bargain a few months ago compared to a 2019/2020 model in that respect.

What did u do in the end - I’m in same scenario.

Do these improvements all apply to the Long Range AWD model too? I have a 2019 Model 3 but those upgrades are quite tempting.