Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from LR 3 to S 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update - I ordered a 2016.5 90D last Saturday, and should be taking delivery in a week or so. Will post an update on that. Thanks to everyone for info and advice. Overall I've realized the S is just a different car than my 3, and leaned into to the things that set it apart from the 3.

50k miles, Silver, AP1, grey next-gen seats, black headliner, air suspension, turbines.
Every option package except sub-zero.

Can't wait. Just keep searching for reviews and pictures of this configuration. Looks like it will be amazing.

Update - I ordered a 2016.5 90D last Saturday, and should be taking delivery in a week or so. Will post an update on that. Thanks to everyone for info and advice. Overall I've realized the S is just a different car than my 3, and leaned into to the things that set it apart from the 3.

50k miles, Silver, AP1, grey next-gen seats, black headliner, air suspension, turbines.
Every option package except sub-zero.

Can't wait. Just keep searching for reviews and pictures of this configuration. Looks like it will be amazing.
Mind me asking how much you paid and why you decided on a AP1 vs 2 with the minimal price difference it is seeming for some FSD cars?

I actually sold my model 3 LR RWD in the last summer of 2020 and got a 2017 model s 75 RWD used from Tesla in the fall. I waffled a bit and almost went with the Y BUT the S had the most “value” for me. I miss a few things about the 3 but overall I am happy with the S. The disadvantages were less range, less efficient and bigger car. The upside were better interior and exterior (to me), lower car payment and I got the 4 year CPO used warranty before they changed it to 1 year as well as FSD. As stated above it appears they have disconnected FSD on some cars. I do believe the 75 is the best “value” S as you can get it around 40K with FSD and many are uncorked (mine was). I can say I like the S more than my 2018 LR RWD 3. As with each person and their own preferences and styles, YMMV.

Reactions: jpk195
I've been researching pre-owned model S's over the break, and got some really good insights from this forum (thank you!). I think I've landed on my ideal configuration, and I'm planning to keep an eye on Tesla preowned for the next few months (mainly for FSD and the extra year of warranty). Here's what I'm looking for:
  • 2017 75 or 75d with less than 50k miles
  • AP 2.0 (FSD)
  • Manufactured post "new motor" (after July 2017 I think?) with 4.xx 0-60
  • Not the "wood" interior trim (dark with carbon fiber preferred, but flexible otherwise)
  • Spring (non-air) suspension
  • 40k OTD max price (may have a wait a bit, but that's fine)
I've had a LR RWD Model 3 since May 2018, and its been amazing. We (family of 4) have barely touched our CX-5 since we bought it, but the 3 is starting to feel small and it's ruined me for road trips with our crossover. I've always wanted a model S but its never financially made sense for us. I'm very happy overall with the 3, so I'm not pulling to the trigger unless I find pretty much exactly the right car. Also considering waiting a few years for a used Raven off-lease.

Anyone have recent sale stories to share or owned both cars? It seems like buying a used Tesla is a moving target, and I'm planning to trade the 3 for the tax break and to avoid deal with a private sale during COVID.

Any tips or feedback would be appreciated!
I owned 12/17 S75D AP2.5 Air MCU1. I loved that car but recently replaced it with LR MY and 21M3 LR. I would not recommend that S today - trust me. The Y is better in every regard down to the windshield washers (even your M3) and Y has more back seat room and comfort than the S according to my two six foot teenagers and 5/3 11 YO daughter in the back seat at the same time. If you wait for 7k fed tax credit the LR Y new is 40k

The Y is better in every regard down to the windshield washers (even your M3) and Y has more back seat room and comfort than the S. If you wait for 7k fed tax credit the LR Y new is 40k
To each their own - I just like the S. I’ll consider the Y in a few years after range improves (or I can get one preowned). The 7k as “savings” is far from a sure thing, but the current version being significantly improved in a year or two is basically guaranteed.

Still waiting on delivery for the S (delayed shipping from Texas) but can’t wait to pick it up next week.

I can say I like the S more than my 2018 LR RWD 3. As with each person and their own preferences and styles, YMMV.

Good to hear - congrats. Also coming from a LR RWD 3 and agree 75 is the value option, but wanted to keep range relatively on par and stay near 40k. I’m happy with base autopilot on the 3, so I think AP 1 will be fine. FSD is great but I like driving. I think this will be a 3-4 year car, so hopefully FSD will be fully baked by the time we get a new one.

I also have a 2018 RWD Model3 and I'm looking at the S, mostly for the air suspension and hatchback and hopefully quieter cabin at highway speed. Yes the 2017 with FSD is a smart choice, but you should really think about getting the air suspension and a $2500 MCU2 upgrade. Personally I think a smarter option is a 2018 100D with MCU2 already included. Resale will be much better later. Also you should rent an S on Turo for a full day and night, I don't think the rear leg room or head room is any better than Model 3. Model Y will probably feel more spacious for the 2nd row than the S because the Y is much taller.
I am looking to buy my first Tesla (used). So when you say the 2018 100D is the smarter option, is it just because of the extra range vs a 2018 75D -- or is there anything else different? Ideally, I'm looking at buying in June. Right now, I'm seeing many 2018 75D cars but very limited 100D cars (like 2 and they are on the west coast).

I am looking to buy my first Tesla (used). So when you say the 2018 100D is the smarter option, is it just because of the extra range vs a 2018 75D -- or is there anything else different? Ideally, I'm looking at buying in June. Right now, I'm seeing many 2018 75D cars but very limited 100D cars (like 2 and they are on the west coast).
I considered waiting a bit longer for the 100d - it’s the best battery pack, but you will pay for it (50-55k from Tesla when I was looking). If this is your first EV and you will be more than commuting/grocery getting with it, the extra range will be nice while you figure out charging.

One interesting thing to note is that the price of a 100d steadily decreased over time, so a newer S (Raven) might be worth a look.

For 2016 and 2017, some of the 75D cars had slower acceleration than 100D. For 2018 model year, the speeds are about the same. So Yes, the main benefit of 2018 100D is range and supercharging speed on road trips.