Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from LR 3 to S 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been researching pre-owned model S's over the break, and got some really good insights from this forum (thank you!). I think I've landed on my ideal configuration, and I'm planning to keep an eye on Tesla preowned for the next few months (mainly for FSD and the extra year of warranty). Here's what I'm looking for:
  • 2017 75 or 75d with less than 50k miles
  • AP 2.0 (FSD)
  • Manufactured post "new motor" (after July 2017 I think?) with 4.xx 0-60
  • Not the "wood" interior trim (dark with carbon fiber preferred, but flexible otherwise)
  • Spring (non-air) suspension
  • 40k OTD max price (may have a wait a bit, but that's fine)
I've had a LR RWD Model 3 since May 2018, and its been amazing. We (family of 4) have barely touched our CX-5 since we bought it, but the 3 is starting to feel small and it's ruined me for road trips with our crossover. I've always wanted a model S but its never financially made sense for us. I'm very happy overall with the 3, so I'm not pulling to the trigger unless I find pretty much exactly the right car. Also considering waiting a few years for a used Raven off-lease.

Anyone have recent sale stories to share or owned both cars? It seems like buying a used Tesla is a moving target, and I'm planning to trade the 3 for the tax break and to avoid deal with a private sale during COVID.

Any tips or feedback would be appreciated!

Don’t buy a used car from Tesla.

Also, that doesn’t sound like a real upgrade in terms of battery, capacity, charging speeds, or tech. No air suspension even?

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. The S is a nice car but the 75 models aren’t anything special compared to a LR3. A new MY makes much more sense if space is an issue.

@glide - can you elaborate on buying from Tesla? I’m interested in the year warranty to make sure everything is working right.

As for “buy a Y”, it’s to me a worse model 3 with more space. The S is special in a way the Y just isn’t IMO. I’m debating whether I should just wait for an S with more range to fit the budget, but I’m not interested in a Y.

@glide - can you elaborate on buying from Tesla? I’m interested in the year warranty to make sure everything is working right.

As for “buy a Y”, it’s to me a worse model 3 with more space. The S is special in a way the Y just isn’t IMO. I’m debating whether I should just wait for an S with more range to fit the budget, but I’m not interested in a Y.
If you think Tesla treats it’s new vehicle owners poorly, try buying used from them. It’s a whole other level.

They do not want to be in the used vehicle business and they make it known.

I have only owned a 2016.5 S75 purchased used via private party so take what I say with that in mind. I agree with OP that S is special in a way the 3 and Y are not. It is a personal thing. I've sacrificed a bit vs what I could have purchased: charging speed, range, FSD, but after reading the experiences of other owners these last 2 years I feel strongly I made the right value choice for me. Sure, a longer range and higher charging speeds would be nice but a quick calculation of time vs $ mean they aren't worth it for my needs. Sure, FSD would be great with all its potential but AP1 is pretty darn good and includes dumb summon and park assist that I use daily.

Will I upgrade in the future? Absolutely, but there is nothing out there now that entices me.

In summary, I understand OP's desire and if the range works for his northern climate needs then go for it.

I've been researching pre-owned model S's over the break, and got some really good insights from this forum (thank you!). I think I've landed on my ideal configuration, and I'm planning to keep an eye on Tesla preowned for the next few months (mainly for FSD and the extra year of warranty). Here's what I'm looking for:
  • 2017 75 or 75d with less than 50k miles
  • AP 2.0 (FSD)
  • Manufactured post "new motor" (after July 2017 I think?) with 4.xx 0-60
  • Not the "wood" interior trim (dark with carbon fiber preferred, but flexible otherwise)
  • Spring (non-air) suspension
  • 40k OTD max price (may have a wait a bit, but that's fine)
Any tips or feedback would be appreciated!

I have an Aug 2017 build ms with 23K miles, non-AP in fabulous condition coming off lease. Does it make sense to buy it and do a private party sale making a small profit? Stories about buying a previously owned vehicle from Tesla have been horrible so wonder if private sales have become popular.

I have an Aug 2017 build ms with 23K miles, non-AP in fabulous condition coming off lease. Does it make sense to buy it and do a private party sale making a small profit? Stories about buying a previously owned vehicle from Tesla have been horrible so wonder if private sales have become popular.
Are you sure there is really profit to be made? The way Tesla structured leases (adding federal sales tax to the residual), I can't imagine there would be anything there.

Reactions: israndy

Can you give more details - 75/75d? non-AP means non-FSD? Since Tesla bundles FSD for free in pre-owned S, it will probably be tough to sell it and make a profit given you'll have to sell for less that what Tesla would.

IIRC, the smart air suspension became standard in July ‘17. The faster 75s started in July ‘17. I don’t know if you can find what you are looking for.

Thanks - good to know. Based on what I’ve seen, I’ve moved the coil suspension to a nice to have.

The biggest problem with the 75 seems to be that most of them are listed in CA. I’m on the east coast, so the 2500 shipping charge cancels out the potential savings over a closer 75d. I’ll probably wait to see if any Model S update happens in the next month or two. I expect trade-ins and hence preowned inventory to increase if it does.

I purchased a used S from Tesla 12/2019. (Technically it was "new" since it was inventory/never before titled, and was some sort of loaner or demo). It was/is a 2017 90D. (Third gen 90kw pack, so no issues.) Had less than 1700 miles on it. It was delivered (only 90 miles, so free delivery) to my SC within 3 days. When I picked it up, it literally was like new. Smelled new inside still, no marks/scuffs/issues at all. It was clean inside and out, drove fine. Came with the full new car 4 yr warranty plus the 8 year unlimited miles drivetrain warranty that was in effect back then.

Saved quite a bit off of sticker, but that appeared to be when TEsla discounted inventory cars MUCH more than they do these days.

So my personal used experience going through Tesla was fine. Also, I have the air suspension and 4.2 (or 4.1) 0-60 time. I also have FSD. I upgraded to 21" Arachnid wheels so the air suspension is REALLY helpful as it keeps the ride quality fairly smooth even with the low profile tires.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: DBO. and jpk195
I also have a 2018 RWD Model3 and I'm looking at the S, mostly for the air suspension and hatchback and hopefully quieter cabin at highway speed. Yes the 2017 with FSD is a smart choice, but you should really think about getting the air suspension and a $2500 MCU2 upgrade. Personally I think a smarter option is a 2018 100D with MCU2 already included. Resale will be much better later. Also you should rent an S on Turo for a full day and night, I don't think the rear leg room or head room is any better than Model 3. Model Y will probably feel more spacious for the 2nd row than the S because the Y is much taller.

Reactions: jpk195
I also have a 2018 RWD Model3 and I'm looking at the S, mostly for the air suspension and hatchback and hopefully quieter cabin at highway speed. Yes the 2017 with FSD is a smart choice, but you should really think about getting the air suspension and a $2500 MCU2 upgrade. Personally I think a smarter option is a 2018 100D with MCU2 already included. Resale will be much better later. Also you should rent an S on Turo for a full day and night, I don't think the rear leg room or head room is any better than Model 3. Model Y will probably feel more spacious for the 2nd row than the S because the Y is much taller.

I agree with this and as someone who recently went from MCU1 to MCU2 (after getting FSD and having MANY MCU1 issues), I cant say enough about MCU2 performance over MCU1. For me, night and day. Voice commands 90% more effective/recognized, zero delay/lag in...anything, etc. And many people (across many car makes) are always hesitant about air suspension, but the pros far outweigh any cons (to me). They actually are fairly simple: smallish air compressor (like the $50 kind at walmart used to air up beachballs and the like), an air distribution block (a thing with airlines going into/out of it) and 4 shocks that hold air. Replacing air shocks if/when needed is literally same level of labor/expertise as replacing a non air shock. Only one additional nut for the airline).

I also have a 2018 RWD Model3 and I'm looking at the S, mostly for the air suspension and hatchback and hopefully quieter cabin at highway speed. Yes the 2017 with FSD is a smart choice, but you should really think about getting the air suspension and a $2500 MCU2 upgrade.
I’m coming around on the air suspension. I’m trying to not lose too much of what I like about the 3, but they are just two different cars. I’m factoring in the MCU update into the total cost. A 100D would be amazing, but they are just more money than what I want to pay for a preowned car. If things don’t line up I might wait until Ravens start coming off of lease next year. The weird pricing logic of preowned Tesla should put them closer to the budget.

Replacing air shocks if/when needed is literally same level of labor/expertise as replacing a non air shock. Only one additional nut for the airline).
Thanks - this is good info.

I'm also thinking of getting an S with Air Suspension and trading in my Model 3 LR RWD. I like the hatch functionality. I have driven one before from service and was happy with it. Not sure if I should go through Tesla or a 3rd party dealer.

Reactions: jpk195
I'm also thinking of getting an S with Air Suspension and trading in my Model 3 LR RWD. I like the hatch functionality. I have driven one before from service and was happy with it. Not sure if I should go through Tesla or a 3rd party dealer.

The major downside with Tesla is that you have to place a deposit for a car you can’t see. Here’s a site I’ve been using that occasionally shows pictures and has info about uncorking for 75/75D:

https://teslacpo.io

I always wanted to get a Model S as it has more storage, better room to sleep in and I could potentially get Free Supercharging for Life. Also I like being grandfathered info free internet for life. Kinda surprised no one else has mentioned that. I thought when people were saying don't buy from Tesla is was because they shut those benefits down when a car goes thru them.

And what's this about Tesla including AutoPilot on all cars? I thought that was only on cars the last year or maybe two, before that you could get FSD or EAP or nothing. Is that something that they add when used cars go thru them?

Last edited: