Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from Model3…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that there aren’t any test drives available, was hoping others could chime in…. Currently driving a 2018 M3 LR RWD. it’s a great car, but just have the itch to upgrade. I have a reservation for a Model X LR, and am wondering if its the right upgrade…?

I test drove a MYP last week and it was nice, but it felt like I was sitting “on” the car rather than “in” the car. For reference, I’ve always preferred sporty handling cars (and I do equate that with being a little lower)— previous cars included: 89 Toyota Supra, ‘91 Maxima, ‘01 BMW 330i, BMW 325it… all manual transmission and with sport packages. These all had a good balance of speed and handling.

I’m keen on the X because of the additional space (2 kids— 9 and 12) and upgraded interior. However, the test drive of the Y makes me a bit nervous. I could go for an S, but the interior space is not too much bigger than the 3.

welcome any thoughts/feedback. (And it’s possible I need to test drive the Y again?)

Hey OP nice & ambitious of you to list your Cybertruck with the 2023 year (I don't expect mine till 2024-2025...)
Anyway I own a M3LR and MYLR, we were in the same situation as you, my wife wanted to see what driving with the yoke would be like + the comfort/noise/drive experience of a refreshed MX.

We are renting a 2018 MX (P75D) next weekend to get a decent feel of the MX and, if she likes that, we'll find a MS with the Yoke that she can get behind (many dealers here in Dallas are selling them used) to see what the Yoke experience is like.

Not ideal, but stores aren't going to have them in anytime soon. Last resort, see if any of your local dealers in Austin have a 2022 MX (i.e. here in Dallas there are 2, but they don't allow test drives until you actually are committed to buy).

PS for what its worth, reason for this is we both very much dislike the MY because of the firm ride so hoping the MX solves the itch.

Reactions: geometro
I, like you plan to do, upgraded from a 2018 LR M3 RWD. I have ZERO regrets. Much easier egress/ingress. Much nicer on road trips. I don’t have small kids, but you (and they) will love the ease of getting into, and out of, the second row seats. Charging is a bit slower and tires are a bit more expensive but those are small prices to pay for the extras you’ll get with the X.

Hey OP nice & ambitious of you to list your Cybertruck with the 2023 year (I don't expect mine till 2024-2025...)
Anyway I own a M3LR and MYLR, we were in the same situation as you, my wife wanted to see what driving with the yoke would be like + the comfort/noise/drive experience of a refreshed MX.

We are renting a 2018 MX (P75D) next weekend to get a decent feel of the MX and, if she likes that, we'll find a MS with the Yoke that she can get behind (many dealers here in Dallas are selling them used) to see what the Yoke experience is like.

Not ideal, but stores aren't going to have them in anytime soon. Last resort, see if any of your local dealers in Austin have a 2022 MX (i.e. here in Dallas there are 2, but they don't allow test drives until you actually are committed to buy).

PS for what its worth, reason for this is we both very much dislike the MY because of the firm ride so hoping the MX solves the itch.
Thanks— I did look on Turo but nothing in my surrounding area (only model y’s are listed currently).
Will keep searching… and will change my sig!

I, like you plan to do, upgraded from a 2018 LR M3 RWD. I have ZERO regrets. Much easier egress/ingress. Much nicer on road trips. I don’t have small kids, but you (and they) will love the ease of getting into, and out of, the second row seats. Charging is a bit slower and tires are a bit more expensive but those are small prices to pay for the extras you’ll get with the X.
Thanks… I agree it will be easier ingress/egress but I am curious about handling… it doesn’t have to be model 3 level but hopefully not too far off and the suspension is tuned well (no offense to anyone but I was disappointed in the model y suspension/ handling).

So we have a 2019 Model 3 LR and a 2020 Model X LR+.

Both are very similar as far as acceleration times 0-60. I always say the 3 feels more violent - like you’re wearing the car. The X is much more sublime than that. The air ride and all makes it float.

Don’t get me wrong; I LOVE driving the X. But it doesn’t have that “I’m sitting on the road” feel like the 3. Very different dynamics. It feels large and in charge, in a good way.

Can’t describe it well without a test drive - you’d see what I mean right away!

So we have a 2019 Model 3 LR and a 2020 Model X LR+.

Both are very similar as far as acceleration times 0-60. I always say the 3 feels more violent - like you’re wearing the car. The X is much more sublime than that. The air ride and all makes it float.

Don’t get me wrong; I LOVE driving the X. But it doesn’t have that “I’m sitting on the road” feel like the 3. Very different dynamics. It feels large and in charge, in a good way.

Can’t describe it well without a test drive - you’d see what I mean right away!
Haha this is a great explanation.

We own a M3LR and MYLR
M3LR - fun on wheels, way better feel of the road (for better or worse)
MYLR - Sitting on a pile of bricks with wheels, the sitting height is the only advantage

Ordered a MX to get the sublime couch feel.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
The Y is a small SUV and drives like one. The X is a mid size SUV and drives like one. Neither are as a sporty or fun to drive as a 3. We had both a 3 and X at the same time and difference is large. I personally prefer the X and can't wait to pick up my replace 2020 X in a few weeks. And nothing sporty like the BMW 3, 5 and 6s that we owned before.

Reactions: ngng and geometro
You are going to think the MX is significantly nicer than your 3, but if sportiness or feeling like you are “in” the car rather than “on” the car, you are going to be disappointed.
Exactly this. Most of us are talking about the older Model X, but nothing I’ve read says that the refreshed X is going to be a sporty car comparable to the 3. That’s just not what they are going for.

It’s a large SUV. It’s wicked fast, and it’s more planted than a Tahoe, but it’s still a large SUV that overall I’d say “drives bigger than it is.” If you thought the Y was not a good fit I highly doubt the X would be.

Good luck either way! My new X won’t arrive til 2023 but I can’t wait!