Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading home service to 600A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Model S and a volt in the garage. Model X, solar, and an addition on the way = upgrade service from 400A to 600A.

Not for the faint of heart.

b23e3e76073d21c466af20ff4aa61d89.jpg

690771f1cd8a2f7ba14810d498f9d953.jpg

0d87b5d4e3fc3164a55e5a074bfdccad.jpg

d1bda320a621fc15bcdf85b98a92c88f.jpg

It's all based on load calculations. Dominion's TOU window for EVs is only 4 hours long. That means ~200A of EV charging, and I wanted room to add a 4th. Dominion is paying for almost all of it.

I have 800 amp service. 600 originally, but since Dominion Power's Schedule EV service has a separate meter, I technically have 800 amps in panels. However, I suspect if I actually tried to draw that much at once, I would brown out the neighborhood. The reality is that I don't come even close and the power company budgets something like 35 kW per house in my neighborhood (if I remember properly). It was going to be expensive to hook up my HPWC in my garage anyways, so I asked Dominion Power to do 200 amp instead of 100 amp service for Schedule EV so that I could charge 2 X Tesla HPWC or 3x at reduced power.

Wow again! I have 100 amp service and have a hot tub with electric heating and my Tesla P90D charging as well as two separate Solar City PV systems going into my box and have never blown a breaker either.

Since the utility is paying for the installation, I guess I'd do it, too. :cool:

I have 800 amp service. 600 originally, but since Dominion Power's Schedule EV service has a separate meter, I technically have 800 amps in panels. However, I suspect if I actually tried to draw that much at once, I would brown out the neighborhood. The reality is that I don't come even close and the power company budgets something like 35 kW per house in my neighborhood (if I remember properly). It was going to be expensive to hook up my HPWC in my garage anyways, so I asked Dominion Power to do 200 amp instead of 100 amp service for Schedule EV so that I could charge 2 X Tesla HPWC or 3x at reduced power.

If you have the standard wiring, your EV meter is actually a sub meter of your primary. So you don't have 800A service.

I'm about to have a commercial CT cabinet which is five feet wide on the side of my house. The regular meter will be gone.

Wow.
Did you consider load management?

I did, but that would have all come out of my pocket. The reality is I would have likely been ok with 400A service, but without load shedding we couldn't meet code.

I've got a pool with an electric heat pump (80A including the pumps), a spa that draws 70A, and 3 hybrid HVAC systems with heat pumps. Add that to the normal load for a 5500sqft house and it adds up.

If dominion wasn't covering most of the cost I would have spent more time looking at other options.

Just don't let my wife see the side/front yard.

323b9e5a2a206eb6e82f0a07d60cb3b5.jpg

Boring under the street and replacing the transformer. It's going from 50kVa to 100kVa. Hopefully the voltage won't sag as much under heavy load.

d921950eb120e6b100a5b1bde8925138.jpg

Nice work!

I have 600 Amp service in both of my houses and am happy that I do!

600 Amps * 240 Volts is 115 kVA. Interestingly, in Boulder I share a 50 kVA transformer with 2 other houses and the service works well for all 3 houses. I have tested Boulder by pushing the total load a little over 50 kVA with 3 EV's charging, air conditioners, and the steam shower all on. In Pagosa, I have a 100 kVA transformer all to myself; that is probably overkill, but I'm not complaining.

I have 400A service on a dedicated 37.5 kVA transformer. I asked the operations director at our co-op what he thought, considering I was going to add an additional 100A for charging Model X via an additional HPWC. He said there's no issue and I have plenty of room for additional loads on the service. My load calcs all work out without an issue - and I don't even have to use the alternate methods. :)

My service doesn't even bat an eye when loaded with 150A of charging load (S + X) plus a full house worth of stuff.

The biggest issue with a HFH (huge fat house) is the 3 VA per sq ft on the general load - that's 68A for a 5,500 sq ft home, plus your laundry circuits, 2 kitchen small appliance circuits, A/C+heat loads, cooking loads, etc. Even then, though, it's hard to blow past 400 service.

The biggest issue with a HFH (huge fat house) is the 3 VA per sq ft on the general load - that's 68A for a 5,500 sq ft home, plus your laundry circuits, 2 kitchen small appliance circuits, A/C+heat loads, cooking loads, etc. Even then, though, it's hard to blow past 400 service.

My Pagosa house has 4 60-Amp circuits for Electro Thermal Storage (ETS) heat; that is a 240 Amp starting point. Add a couple of ETS hot water heaters, two steam showers, 4,000 feet of house, a 100-Amp HPWC, 2 50-Amp 14-50's, etc, and it was pretty easy to justify 600 Amps to the local co-op. I guess a conservative engineer just decided that all that deserved a 100 kVA transformer.

The Boulder house just had a very conservative electrician. He was convinced that I needed 800 Amp service. I have forgotten the details of the argument, but it centered around me wanting all outlet circuits to be 20 Amps and wanting many more 20-Amp outlet circuits than code required, along with an extra strong AC system. I showed him that 400 Amps was all that was needed; in the end we compromised on 600 Amp service. 20 years later, I am happy that we did. It allowed me to add a dedicated 200-Amp sub-panel in the garage that is exclusively for EV charging. In the end, it was probably good that I had a conservative electrician during construction 20 years ago; I'd hate to think what he would have recommended, had he known about my EV future... :biggrin:

Last edited:
My Pagosa house has 4 60-Amp circuits for Electro Thermal Storage (ETS) heat; that is a 240 Amp starting point. Add a couple of ETS hot water heaters, two steam showers, 4,000 feet of house, a 100-Amp HPWC, 2 50-Amp 14-50's, etc, and it was pretty easy to justify 600 Amps to the local co-op. I guess a conservative engineer just decided that all that deserved a 100 kVA transformer.

The Boulder house just had a very conservative electrician. He was convinced that I needed 800 Amp service. I showed him that 400 Amps was all that was needed; in the end we compromised on 600 Amp service. I am happy that we did. It allowed me to put in a dedicated 200-Amp sub-panel in the garage that is exclusively for EV charging. In the end, it was probably good that I had a conservative electrician during construction 20 years ago; I'd hate to think what he would have recommended if he knew about my EV future...

Ah yes, the electric heating storage. I never could make those numbers work out, except when we had the propane shortage last year from the storms - but I have a good, annual contracted price for propane in the winter. I can see that - I have all gas appliances.

Ah yes, the electric heating storage. I never could make those numbers work out, except when we had the propane shortage last year from the storms - but I have a good, annual contracted price for propane in the winter. I can see that - I have all gas appliances.

With aggressive TOU rates from my local co-op, ETS beats propane, but natural gas beats ETS for space heating; because only propane is available at my house, ETS is the winner. It's amazing to store heat energy in almost 2 tons of ceramic brick.