Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading M3 SR+ Sound System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has taken their M3 SR+ to an audio shop to enable/add speakers and sub to add aftermarket audio to sound more premium. I would love more immersive sound and a bass boost I feel is missing from the SR+ but want it to feel and act seamless with the current interface. Anyone with experience and costs associated with this?

I'm waiting to see if Tesla announces any sort of upgrade package for the SR+ themselves. There are more speakers wired into the car than are enabled with software, and there's an empty space in the trunk for the subwoofer.

This guy here did a bit of a tear-down:

Curious if anyone has taken their M3 SR+ to an audio shop to enable/add speakers and sub to add aftermarket audio to sound more premium. I would love more immersive sound and a bass boost I feel is missing from the SR+ but want it to feel and act seamless with the current interface. Anyone with experience and costs associated with this?

I still remember when SR+ software didn't have immersive sound function. Then shortly afterward, they update the software to have a toggle to turn on or off immersive sound. But this toggle doesn't do s***, just a slight change in sound effect like if you select surround sound in your home audio system. As if they just added the do-nothing toggle in to quiet down all those complaining...Still love everything else about the car though :).

I did find out the soon you will be able to buy the for 100.00 annual fee live streaming music and live traffic and satellite forgot to ask if it will include internet web browser.

I’ve heard rumors about this but never any real confirmation. Tesla really told you that? If so, that’s awesome! They can have my money for the maps and hopefully turning on the speakers would be an amazing addition. Thanks for your reply!

No experience, but don't forget to ask Tesla if doing so, would void factory warranty on the WHOLE sound system.
the extra "HUMPF" could not be worth the risk

If it’s just the sound system warranty I’d be willing to risk it I think. Really feel like I’m missing out when Sr+ was introduced and our Chinese menu of options got taken away. But don’t get me wrong... I love the car in every way but the sound.

There's no such thing as a "sound system warranty"

The whole car has a warranty, and you can't "void" it by making mods to the car.

What can happen is if any mod you make causes a problem, the warranty does not cover that problem.

So if making stereo mods blows up some other bit of electronics/stereo equipment, warranty won't pay for it.

But if something (even with the stock stereo parts) fails for reasons not caused by your mods, that's still covered by warranty.

Reactions: BYE FOSL
I'm waiting to see if Tesla announces any sort of upgrade package for the SR+ themselves. There are more speakers wired into the car than are enabled with software, and there's an empty space in the trunk for the subwoofer.

I'd love it if Tesla offered a Service Centre installed upgrade to the full Premium Audio package for SR+. If it was relatively reasonably priced I'd probably go for it. It would seem to me that with a lot of the speakers already there (and they way they seem to do things I'd bet even for those that were not the wiring is probably chased in already) and with a software change and the install of a few speakers and an amp it might be possible, even with a Roamer to do it...

Not holding my breath for that, but would be nice. The Partial premium audio seems to be kind of just the "front half" of the full system, which leaves it sounding very forward, not much ability to balance front and back, and a bit lacking in the lower end. I bought the best Tesla I could afford, which for me was the SR+, would be so nice if I could save a few more pennies over the next year for that kind of upgrade!